TBN: Tage Thompson having fun but doesn't want to get too comfortable in AHL

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Sabres prospect Tage Thompson having fun but doesn't want to get too comfortable in AHL

In addition to his offensive dominance this season, Thompson has evolved, displaying a heavier, more complete style.

Interim coach Gord Dineen:
“There’s maturity and growth in his game. (He’s) hard enough to contain as it is with that reach and ability, and when you put muscle on top of it, you’re definitely going to see results. So he’s a real hard guy to play against, hard to contain. When he’s moving his feet, he’s a special player.”

“He’s learned from his mistakes. He’s not repeating them as often. Teams start cheating to take away that shot, so it opens up things for other players. But when he is shooting the puck, it creates a lot of chaos around opposing teams’ nets. There’s rebounds there. Those are indefensible sometimes, when you’re creating rebounds and guys don’t know where they’re going.”

Tage Thompson:
“The body’s the best it’s felt up to this point in my career I think that goes to show I put in a lot of work in the summer and it’s paid off. We’ve gotten a lot of our offense off of creating turnovers in the neutral zone with our forecheck or whoever it may be. I think he’s (Rasmus Asplund) more of a pass-first kind of guy. For me, I just try to get open. He’s got great vision, so he usually finds me.”

Tage is shooting more. “Trying not too stickhandle too much, trying to get pucks off quicker is something I’ve been focusing on and not passing up any Grade A, strong opportunities."

“I love it down here. You want to play in the NHL, you don’t want to get too comfortable where you’re at, be hungry to get to the next level. But at the same time, it’s an unbelievable group of guys. The staff down here is unbelievable. You have fun when you come to the rink.”

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
If we call him up the biggest adjustment for my Tage will be changing his diet from garbage plates to pizza logs and Ted's hot dogs.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Asplund and Tage could be a start to a solid 3rd line next year.

1. Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart
2. Skinner - Mitts - *Toffoli
3. Johansson - Asplund - Tage

4. Anyone - But - Okposo

Really don’t see a future spot for Sheary or Vesey.
Cozens - who’s role does he steal in the Top 9?
Olofsson might be trade bait?

Reactions: Bferra13

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
Asplund and Tage could be a start to a solid 3rd line next year.

1. Olofsson - Eichel - Reinhart
2. Skinner - Mitts - *Toffoli
3. Johansson - Asplund - Tage

4. Anyone - But - Okposo

Really don’t see a future spot for Sheary or Vesey.
Cozens - who’s role does he steal in the Top 9?
Olofsson might be trade bait?

What has Mittelstadt shown that makes anyone think he would be a top 6 center any time soon if ever at all?

Reactions: Chainshot

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Power forwards take longer to develop. So do taller forwards. Don’t rush the kid. Let him dominant the AHL and find his game.

Yep, let him gain the confidence to do certain things, learn what does and does not work without the pressure of being in the NHL. If they can straighten him out and round off his edges, they could have something relatively rare and useful.

Reactions: Der Jaeger

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
When has Mittelstadt ever played with two Top 6 wingers? Give me a break.

What has he done to earn the time between two top 6 wingers?

Heck, both of our top 2 centers mostly get time with 1 legitimate top 6 winger but Casey has earned the right two be flanked by two?

Don’t see it.

In fact, I hope he gets dealt before he is further exposed.

dasaybz

da saybz
Aug 2, 2005
What has he done to earn the time between two top 6 wingers?

Heck, both of our top 2 centers mostly get time with 1 legitimate top 6 winger but Casey has earned the right two be flanked by two?

Don’t see it.

In fact, I hope he gets dealt before he is further exposed.
Eichel - Skinner
Mitts - Reinhart
should be a thing going forward. Have to get scoring over multiple lines. Tage should be fitting in the top 6 soon hopefully with one of those combos.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad