Player Discussion Tage Thompson 2

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I think he can be as well, but I’m starting to worry that he may never be very good at 5v5 almost because he’s too big. His game is played with skill a lot more than using his size etc...(like a pat maroon) and I don’t think he will be able to make plays in small areas etc.... if he continues to do things the same way, he almost needs to adopt a pat Martin esque style of play down low(tho that requires him actually putting on muscle) then of course he could be a trigger man on a PP due to his ridiculously nasty release and 1-T tho it might be better to have him net front on the eichel unit
He changed his diet and workout last off-season, said he packed on over 10lbs of muscle. Hopefully the long layoff allows him to add some more once he's fully recovered from the surgery

Reactions: brian_griffin

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Cozens was reported to have done a lot of leg work as he recovered from his wrist injury last offseason. it’s been one of things credited for his strong season.

If Tage does something similar with the enormous amount of recovery time he’s had. It could give him the leg strength and strong base he’s badly needed for that lanky frame.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
I think he can be as well, but I’m starting to worry that he may never be very good at 5v5 almost because he’s too big. His game is played with skill a lot more than using his size etc...(like a pat maroon) and I don’t think he will be able to make plays in small areas etc.... if he continues to do things the same way, he almost needs to adopt a pat Martin esque style of play down low(tho that requires him actually putting on muscle) then of course he could be a trigger man on a PP due to his ridiculously nasty release and 1-T tho it might be better to have him net front on the eichel unit
I think his biggest 5v5 issues are down low, like you said, and also getting out of the dzone

But his ability to disrupt on the forecheck and decent puck control is what makes me hopefull. Its been a while since I watched him so I don't have a super clear mental picture but i dont remember him having a poor IQ either, not consistently at least. Like Sabres fans will complain about guys like risto and sobotka for poor decisions or being lost. In that category I don't remember tage being perfect but also not like his IQ was a hard limiter on his ability. I don't know, maybe someone else remembers better

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I think his biggest 5v5 issues are down low, like you said, and also getting out of the dzone

But his ability to disrupt on the forecheck and decent puck control is what makes me hopefull. Its been a while since I watched him so I don't have a super clear mental picture but i dont remember him having a poor IQ either, not consistently at least. Like Sabres fans will complain about guys like risto and sobotka for poor decisions or being lost. In that category I don't remember tage being perfect but also not like his IQ was a hard limiter on his ability. I don't know, maybe someone else remembers better

His IQ wasn't terrible, but his decision making was very slow, much like Sobotka and Risto actually. It's not that they didn't know WHAT they needed to do, or WHERE to be, but they couldn't get themselves to determine WHEN they needed to move the puck or when to be in a spot on the ice. Like with Tage, there were many instance at the NHL level where he got the puck, off ice nice poke check, and he failed to transition the puck into an open area where his teammate was heading or even was.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
It's like finding a group of people stranded on an island and realizing that they've been reduced to worshiping an empty coke bottle.
20200611_224411.jpg

Bendium

Oct 18, 2019
I definitely think that from an attitude and mental make up standpoint, Tage has a MUCH better chance of achieving the growth in his game needed to become a solid NHL forward. When he got here it was clear he had both elite size and above average shot, but he still was new to his body, like that baby giraffe. Every game I saw him making mistakes that looked more like he just didn't know how to deal with his own size yet. That's why I was a proponent very quickly of him going to the AHL where he could figure that out without being under the ROR storm pressure. I think he has progressed nicely and will be a good surprise for the Sabres this season. I have no such hope for Casey Mittelstadt, but I am still open to him proving me wrong.

Dirty Dog

Wooftastic
Sponsor
Jul 11, 2013
The doghouse
I definitely think that from an attitude and mental make up standpoint, Tage has a MUCH better chance of achieving the growth in his game needed to become a solid NHL forward. When he got here it was clear he had both elite size and above average shot, but he still was new to his body, like that baby giraffe. Every game I saw him making mistakes that looked more like he just didn't know how to deal with his own size yet. That's why I was a proponent very quickly of him going to the AHL where he could figure that out without being under the ROR storm pressure. I think he has progressed nicely and will be a good surprise for the Sabres this season. I have no such hope for Casey Mittelstadt, but I am still open to him proving me wrong.

I think I agree with your observation thats his mental makeup and public attitude are something to be encouraged by.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
He changed his diet and workout last off-season, said he packed on over 10lbs of muscle. Hopefully the long layoff allows him to add some more once he's fully recovered from the surgery

That's what happens when you stop eating green leaves and start eating rainbows. And there's the added bonus of more skittles to go around.

Dilemma..... am I required to hate the giraffes in the Toronto Zoo?

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
Tage’s injury was so disappointing. He was really growing in Rochester, dominating at points. I’m pulling for him since he was put in a bad spot because of the ROR trade.

Member 308457

So the guy's tall and thin. Hardy har har. Do we have to make fun of his slight build and ruin the kid's remaining confidence by continuing to call him a giraffe? I know we're all depressed and looking for a laugh but is sacrificing this kid who has still has potential worth it?

It's not that funny and frankly I hope it works out for Tage Thompson in Buffalo.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
So the guy's tall and thin. Hardy har har. Do we have to make fun of his slight build and ruin the kid's remaining confidence by continuing to call him a giraffe? I know we're all depressed and looking for a laugh but is sacrificing this kid who has still has potential worth it?

It's not that funny and frankly I hope it works out for Tage Thompson in Buffalo.
Me right now:

Member 308457

Don't mean to rain on your "parade" but I remember how Peter McNab wanted out of Bflo, because of the fans. Buffalo was forced to trade a perennial 40 goal scorer. Not saying that Thompson's a McNab but he has shown flashes.

Reactions: DON VITO

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in

Giraffe > Tiny.

If he becomes Simmonds 2.0 (the good version) I’ll be ecstatic.

Reactions: Buffaloed

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Thompson needs to be on the roster day 1. Not understanding the entire conversation around him tbh.

let’s see how he has recovered from his injuries first, and let’s hope his processing speed has improved.

even as his recovery timeline has come and gone 5-6 months, that type of recovery is important to be careful with.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->