Tacoma to renovate Tacoma Dome for NHL and/or NBA team?

htpwn

Nov 4, 2009
Toronto
The idea was brought up at Tacoma city council. I have not heard of a building date for the new colisee at all.

You know about NHL politics by now, you know about how Bettman operates. So you should now the NHL cares more about the US media than the Canadian media. And that if the US media is reporting that the NHL is starting to move teams back to Canada, the league will take a major black eye.

What I find odd is that I always read that the US media doesn't care about hockey. Every couple weeks a thread pops up on the main board against ESPN's supposed bias against the sport.

If the US media doesn't care, how much of a black eye can the league really take? The Atlanta-to-Winnipeg move was in the news in the US for what? A week? At most? Even then, many American commentators applauded the move.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
you mean the tv contract situation getting worse in the States than it already is?

Yes.

What I find odd is that I always read that the US media doesn't care about hockey. Every couple weeks a thread pops up on the main board against ESPN's supposed bias against the sport.

If the US media doesn't care, how much of a black eye can the league really take? The Atlanta-to-Winnipeg move was in the news in the US for what? A week? At most? Even then, many American commentators applauded the move.
Well that was one move. They like to make fun of hockey. I am sure MoreOrr will elaborate, but the perception will be the League as a whole is failing.

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
If they were doing a serious remodel to attract a team, they would likely save most of the roof, dig out a bowl, and a build a larger and more permanent seating arrangement in an NHL viable configuration.

The footprint is certainly large enough. Salvaging the roof will also save some money. The question is how much does the rest cost, where does the money come from, and is it politically viable.

Tacoma certainly has the population to support one or the other (NHL/NBA). There are 1,650,000 people between Southcenter (I-5/I-405 in Tukwila)-Olympia and Port Orchard-Eatonville. What it lacks is the corporate base. It just lost its biggest recently to Seattle (Russell Investments). Weyerhaeuser in Federal Way, a former Tacoma company, is the only heavy hitter down there until you venture into Kent.

gernb

Sep 17, 2004
Is there enough of a hockey presence in seattle to support a team? And whats wrong with vancouver? Are my two major concerns

Vancouver is not a close as it looks on the map to the Seattle area. Besides a nice 3 or so hour drive the border crossing can really slow things down, especially post-911. It's an occasional once a year trip to see the Canucks, but I seriously doubt there is more than a handful of season ticket holders in Seattle

MoreOrr

B4
Jun 20, 2006
Mexico

Yes.

Well that was one move. They like to make fun of hockey. I am sure MoreOrr will elaborate, but the perception will be the League as a whole is failing.

The US media may not care that much about hockey, but it seems to often care enough to take negative jabs at the sport or at least at the NHL. More importantly though is the general overall impression that relocating teams consecutive teams to Canada will have... 'Hockey is failing in the US'... and so many casual fans (which could one day become more than casual fans) might start thinking,.. 'you know, I guess hockey really isn't an "American" thing.'

The NHL has obviously been striving to build an image, a more popular and positive image, in the US, and relocating two teams in a row to Canada works totally against that objective. Of course the issue is really not that simple, but that's how it could be viewed.

I hope I didn't disappoint, Melrose ;)

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I saw one concert in there and can not picture hockey in there

here is something to think about the seatle and tacoma area--look at the sonics-I know there was a lot of stuff involved in the reasons why they moved--their fans are "interesting" and the question--could they support an nhl team long term and as someone who lived in the general area--I would say the answer is no

Why is your opinion of whether they can support a team something to think about? You don't have any real evidence to back it up. There are a few markets out there where people questioned its ability to succeed and it's been proven otherwise. Any market in the US and Canada can work given the right circumstances.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
The US media may not care that much about hockey, but it seems to often care enough to take negative jabs at the sport or at least at the NHL. More importantly though is the general overall impression that relocating teams consecutive teams to Canada will have... 'Hockey is failing in the US'... and so many casual fans (which could one day become more than casual fans) might start thinking,.. 'you know, I guess hockey really isn't an "American" thing.'

The NHL has obviously been striving to build an image, a more popular and positive image, in the US, and relocating two teams in a row to Canada works totally against that objective. Of course the issue is really not that simple, but that's how it could be viewed.

Very nice.

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
Why is your opinion of whether they can support a team something to think about? You don't have any real evidence to back it up. There are a few markets out there where people questioned its ability to succeed and it's been proven otherwise. Any market in the US and Canada can work given the right circumstances.

well as someone who has spent a lot of time down in Seattle and the area--their fans are fickle--even when the super sonics where a very good team---they had to work double hard as other teams to get butts in the stands.

My evidence is my experience in the area--some people would assume it would be a slam dunk for hockey to make it in the area--I think the area is more suited to WHL and uni hockey then the nhl

When Paul Allen built his new arena in Portland it was originally a duel purpose arena for BB and hockey--but Allen never made a serious pitch for hockey

I have been in the Dome and it is not good for hockey and most would agree that it would be a stop gap till the new arena is built--that may take 10 years and the upper seats in the dome are horrible for hockey

what evidence do you have that NHL hockey would work in the area?

When I was in the area--I found people who were thunderbird fans but not NHL fans

Nuclear SUV

Jun 1, 2008
well as someone who has spent a lot of time down in Seattle and the area--their fans are fickle--even when the super sonics where a very good team---they had to work double hard as other teams to get butts in the stands.

That's nonsense. The Sonics were the first NBA franchise to average over 20,000 fans a game for an entire season. Led the league in total attendance four times. Plus had one of the longest sellout streaks during the 90's despite the league's 2nd highest average ticket price. Even towards the end when they were mediocre or being intentionally destroyed in an effort to steal the team away to OKC, they still drew over 90% capacity.

Seattle was a great NBA city and will get a team as soon as someone up there builds a new arena.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
That's nonsense. The Sonics were the first NBA franchise to average over 20,000 fans a game for an entire season. Led the league in total attendance four times. Plus had one of the longest sellout streaks during the 90's despite the league's 2nd highest average ticket price. Even towards the end when they were mediocre or being intentionally destroyed in an effort to steal the team away to OKC, they still drew over 90% capacity.

Seattle was a great NBA city and will get a team as soon as someone up there builds a new arena.

Correct. Sonics problem wasn't support. The Sonics problem is they had ****** selfish/shortsighted owners and a moody voter base that had already funded 2 big overbudget stadium projects. Key arena was outdated but they couldn't get a new one built. So Mr Starbucks sold off to Mr. Okie ********* and he took the team to OKC.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom

My evidence is my experience in the area--some people would assume it would be a slam dunk for hockey to make it in the area--I think the area is more suited to WHL and uni hockey then the nhl

When Paul Allen built his new arena in Portland it was originally a duel purpose arena for BB and hockey--but Allen never made a serious pitch for hockey

I have been in the Dome and it is not good for hockey and most would agree that it would be a stop gap till the new arena is built--that may take 10 years and the upper seats in the dome are horrible for hockey

what evidence do you have that NHL hockey would work in the area?

When I was in the area--I found people who were thunderbird fans but not NHL fans

Your attempt to make yourself credible is weak at best. Your experience there is irrelevant unless you actually have some hard facts. Even if you did, it is irrelevant. Most people in places where the NHL is not at are not going to say they're NHL fans. There is nothing locally there to appeal them to the brand unless they're transplants from other NHL markets.

Paul Allen's business in Portland is irrelevant to the happenings of Seattle with regards to the NHL.

I'm not really having this exchange with you over the Dome. I've already made my feelings fairly clear on that particular subject. My issue is that you posted that your opinion of the market without any shred of evidence is something that people should actually think about. As if you're some authority on the subject.

There are many markets that were similar to Seattle in terms of indifference to the NHL prior to their arrival. All that matters is that you have the right ownership group, the right arena and subsequent deal to play there, and ice a competitive team without being in the basement for a significant period of time. Any market that has those three key things can succeed with the NHL product. Now, it's no easy task to get those things but that's what it takes in a simplistic sense.

If Seattle got an NHL team there, those Thunderbird fans would likely support it as well as many other folks that like to see pro sports. Until they do, they have no link to the NHL brand and it's not uncommon for that attitude to be there without it and for it to change quickly when they get it.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
there would easily be at least 4000-6000 season ticket holders from b.c. which is the reason why seattle is on bettmans radar

DeathToAllButMetal

Let it all burn.
May 13, 2010

Nobody in the US cares enough for this to be a black eye. And even before Atlanta moving, the insanity in Phoenix, etc., the NHL was constantly getting trashed. Look at The Onion. They blast the league every couple of months with some story about Bettman, the Stingley Cup, etc.

If a big US team moved to Canada, I could see the worry. Philly packs up for Quebec, sure. Maybe even NYI, because they're in New York. But Phoenix? Nobody will care enough to even bother writing a single joke headline.

The NHL would do itself more damage by desperately scrambling into a joke arena like this Tacoma Igloo thing. That I could see being followed up with an Onion story about the Devils moving to a parking lot and the Panthers heading to a high school gym.

kypredsfan

Smashville Subban
Jan 20, 2011
Mt. Juliet, TN
Just to show everybody, this is what the hockey set-up for the Tacoma Dome is.
sa8zE.jpg

WOW. So basically upper level sideline seats and end zone seats are miles away from the ice. :amazed:

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
Hey, I noticed in the basketball pic they had 4 basketball games going on. Maybe if there are two NHL franchises that need to be moved next year they can put two NHL standard-sized rinks side by side and play games simultaneously. Fans can really get their money's worth!:sarcasm:

Dolemite

The one...the only...
Sponsor
May 4, 2004
Washington DC
here is something to think about the seatle and tacoma area--look at the sonics-I know there was a lot of stuff involved in the reasons why they moved--their fans are "interesting" and the question--could they support an nhl team long term and as someone who lived in the general area--I would say the answer is no

Yes. The big issue is putting a winning team on the ice. The Mariners got a killer stadium built for them and they can't field a halfway decent team. As a result, the stands are empty. Corporate support wouldn't be a problem. Getting the right people to build a winning franchise top to bottom is.

Last edited:

dronald

Mar 4, 2011
Hamilton, ON
Nobody in the US cares enough for this to be a black eye. And even before Atlanta moving, the insanity in Phoenix, etc., the NHL was constantly getting trashed. Look at The Onion. They blast the league every couple of months with some story about Bettman, the Stingley Cup, etc.

If a big US team moved to Canada, I could see the worry. Philly packs up for Quebec, sure. Maybe even NYI, because they're in New York. But Phoenix? Nobody will care enough to even bother writing a single joke headline.

The NHL would do itself more damage by desperately scrambling into a joke arena like this Tacoma Igloo thing. That I could see being followed up with an Onion story about the Devils moving to a parking lot and the Panthers heading to a high school gym.

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/sources-say-atlanta-thrashers-272811,19410/

http://www.onionsportsnetwork.com/articles/atlanta-fans-smile-politely-through-entire-nhl-all,6005/

Lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad