Advice: Tackla Air 9000 pants

Burnaby_Joe*

Does anyone have a pair of these? How are they in terms of weight, mobility, protection, etc? I'm torn between these and the Bauer Nexus 1000's.

bad tape job

Jun 4, 2013
Minnesota
Does anyone have a pair of these? How are they in terms of weight, mobility, protection, etc? I'm torn between these and the Bauer Nexus 1000's.

For me, when I bought them I was looking for protection first, weight second. I really like the fit and the protection they offer. They aren't what I'd call light but definitely not a heavy pant. They have laces and a draw strap. Zippers on inner legs that I don't feel a need to unzip. No problems with binding/tugging when skating. They felt a little stiff the first two skates but seem to break-in fast. Don't even notice them anymore. Good QUALITY pants and I like them a lot. I'm six feet, 210 lbs. I wear size 54's. 36-38 waist. Actual waist size is 36. Could have gone down one size I think as they fit slightly larger than my last size 54 Tacklas.

Don't have any input on the Bauer Nexus 1000's.

Last edited:

AIREAYE

Jun 7, 2009
Don't have any input on the Bauer Nexus 1000's.

I'll help out here. The Nexus 1000 pants are perhaps the most heavy-duty pants on the market right now. Protection is heavily based in thick and rigid plastic components on the spine and kidneys, very-much tank like. Unless you are almost a pure physical defenseman playing high level hockey, these pants are overkill. The Nexus 800s are more than enough protection for the vast majority of minor hockey and rec players. Much denser and harder plastics than it's TotalOne predecessor.

Guffaw

Apr 29, 2011
Drexel Hill PA
I have them. Great pants IMO. Durable,
Very protective, and not all that heavy. If u want feather light pants and are willing to sacrifice protection then pass on these. Otherwise they're a great pant. I'm pretty bony and bought them to help prevent bruising my hip bones which they have.

I'm 6'2" 175 33" waist.
50 Tall- was ok but a bit too big in waist after they broke in.
48 Tall- what I wear now. A hair small but I like my stuff to fit tighter.

32" waist go 48.
34" waist go 50.

If you like your pants to fit loose you may need a size larger.

Jarick

Doing Nothing
I've had a pair for a couple years. As I said in the other thread, last year I put on some weight and had to go to a cheap pair of Reeboks until I could get back into the Tacklas.

The mobility is second to none. Seriously. I tried the pants on and brand new I could do ATG squats in them. They just have the right breaks in the pads.

Best protection out there IMO. Lots of pants have pads in the front of the legs but nothing in the back. 9000's have pads all around. And a lot more padding in the hips.

Bulletproof construction too. Routinely see Tackla pants 10-15 years old in the used shops around here. I see old Tacklas and CCM's (852, etc) and that's it for the older pants.

Weight is a non-factor. They may be a little heavier, but they are right on your core. The further from your core something is (gloves, skates, stick), the more important weight is. Not an issue.

Sizing, I forgot a bit on these. I bought these when I had a 36" waist at size 50 and they were maybe a hair tighter than I'd like. I have a 38" waist now and I'm at the limit with them. Ideally I'd have a 34" waist, when I'm playing at 175-180. But the fact I can squeeze into them is nice. I briefly had a pair of 46 pants when I got down to a 33" waist and it was way too small.

So Guffaw's sizing is right IMO.

30" waist -> 46
32" waist -> 48
34" waist -> 50
36" waist -> 52

Oh, and use dress pant sizing, not jeans. Jean waists always run big.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad