T.J. Oshie Article on ESPN - Alzheimer's

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11815803/nhl-st-louis-blues-tj-oshie-strong-family-fight

A good point - Oshie's got to be feeling a lot of responsibility for his dad's care.

My grandmother, who recently lost her husband in January, has Alzheimer's and my mom has been driving six hours every other week to make sure she's holding up. Obviously, T.J. Has a little more help, and his dad doesn't live in a shack in deep Southern Illinois, but he's got to feel like the time he has with his father is limited.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
It's something you would expect from someone that's over 70, not someone who is 50. That has to be hard on the family, and especially Tim. I know it was tough for my grandma to forget things that she felt she should know regardless, so for someone that still has so much life left, I couldn't imagine going through that.

Lakebum

Apr 2, 2014
I saw that the other day too. Has to wear on the guy whether they were close or not. Professional athletes are people too, but on the bright side hopefully being on the ice is a release for him. My heart goes out to the guy.

I coach boys basketball at a little school, and as it so happens one of them has a grandma that knows Oshie's grandparents. When the grandma was going to see Oshie's grandparents she had car trouble and Oshie volunteered to go get them. He could have called a cab or had the grandparents do it but no, he took time away from his newborn daughter to go get them (it happened last summer). Not only that but after the playoffs settled down Oshie called my player and talked with him for 10 minutes. To me that was just a class act thing to do. The boy and I may talk hockey too much in school :D.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I saw that the other day too. Has to wear on the guy whether they were close or not. Professional athletes are people too, but on the bright side hopefully being on the ice is a release for him. My heart goes out to the guy.

I coach boys basketball at a little school, and as it so happens one of them has a grandma that knows Oshie's grandparents. When the grandma was going to see Oshie's grandparents she had car trouble and Oshie volunteered to go get them. He could have called a cab or had the grandparents do it but no, he took time away from his newborn daughter to go get them (it happened last summer). Not only that but after the playoffs settled down Oshie called my player and talked with him for 10 minutes. To me that was just a class act thing to do. The boy and I may talk hockey too much in school :D.

Rally round the Osh!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad