T. J. Hensick's character

Status
Not open for further replies.

Munchausen

I have a question about Hensick.

Yesterday I was watching the Michigan VS Ohio State game on TV, which was a very exciting game BTW, and there was something at the end of the game that Hensick did which bothered me (seemed to bother the play-by-play guy too). It was no big deal, but it just made me wonder about him a bit.

At the end of the game, Ohio State were trying hard to complete their comeback from a 5-0 deficit, and were almost successful. They were pressing hard in Michigan's zone. After a while Nystrom, who had a fantastic game, was able to get a hold of the puck deep in his zone and shoot it above everbody towards the empty netter. Hensick was following the puck. He was completely alone, nobody around him, the puck was going straight towards the middle of the empty net, and at the very last second, about 5 inches before it crossed the goal line, he tapped it in. He got credited with the goal. Nystrom got an assist.

Now I know some might wonder what's wrong with that, and really this isn't a huge deal, but to me this was just the most selfish and inconsiderate move from Hensick. This wasn't his goal, but somehow he decided to tap it in and boost his stat sheet. At the very least, I find this to be a very dumb move he did without thinking. At worst, a very selfish play to raise his stock.

Now I'm not making any assumptions on him based on that one incident, but I want to know from people that might know Hensick more than I do, if this is out of character for him. Is this something you'd expect from Hensick? What can be said about his character, for the ones who know better?

X0ssbar

Funny you bring that up - I was at that game and wondered the same thing. He had no business tapping that goal in.

Ohio State did a pretty good job of botteling him up most of that two game series. In fact, besides stealing that goal I don't recall him getting a point. You certainly have to question a guy's character - especially as a team player - when you see something like that.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
I watched that game, too (sweet new lids for OSU!), and can understand why you post this here. I don't find Hensick having any major character flaws, though. I didn't like the move either, but I don't think that a play like that is very telling of the kind of kid he is, and furthermore that much of a detriment to his overall draft stock.

X0ssbar

Hell yeah - LOVED the new lids..! I was commenting to my wife how much I liked how Michigan's helmet's complimented their football brother's design and was wondering why OSU didn't do something similiar. Next night - wish granted, they look great!

Canadian Chris

Feb 28, 2002
Nanaimo, BC
Visit site
I JUST saw the same thing on the replay of the game on the NHL network...GREAT 3rd period by OSU...lol...

I don't agree with what Hensick did either, BUT...it is possible he had a bet or somethnig with someone...not entirely likely..but you never know.

That being said, the announcers still said that Nystrom got creditted with the goal...so did that get changed afterwards?

Lard_Lad

May 12, 2003
Kelowna
Visit site
Canadian Chris said:
That being said, the announcers still said that Nystrom got creditted with the goal...so did that get changed afterwards?

Looks like it, the box score on OSU's website says EN by Hensick, with an assist to Nystrom. Wonder what Nystrom had to say in the dressing room after that?

Munchausen

Canadian Chris said:

I don't know, I was looking at a game recap here on HF and it said Hensick got the goal, Nystrom an assist. I'm not sure though. But he did tap it in before it crossed the line so technically, it should be his goal.

CH Wizard

Munchausen , I understand you.I listened to the game a little bit with my cousin.Well , I did the exact same thing in one of my game in Serptember , I though I did nothing bad but the coach was frustrated after me.My teammate shooted from center ice but I blocked it and went in the off and scored in the empty netter :lol: .To it's no big deal anyways.....

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
The only thing I can think of is that he really wanted to cement that last-minute goal against the one of UM's biggest rivals. If the game was against State, he probably would've picked up the puck with his hand and fired it into the net...

SkoulasOut4theSummer

Jan 2, 2003
Nova Scotia
Visit site
That could be a reason why, but one has to wonder what his teamates think of what he did, especially Nystrom. Maybe he just had a brainfart and didnt quite realize what he was doing, nobody knows except T.J. himself.

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Top Shelf said:
Ohio State did a pretty good job of botteling him up most of that two game series. In fact, besides stealing that goal I don't recall him getting a point.

He assisted on U-M's lone goal Friday, and assisted on Kolarik's second goal Saturday. Three point weekend for T.J.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
I would've loved to hear what Nystrom had to say to Hensick after the game, especially given Nystrom's leadership in that dressing room.

Would he have been a good sport about it? Probably not after having not scored in nearly two months, a streak which ended last weekend. It was a very selfish move on the part of Hensick.

So the question remains, does Nystrom teach or scold Hensick for a move like that?

SpaceGhost79

Mar 8, 2002
Aaron Vickers said:
I would've loved to hear what Nystrom had to say to Hensick after the game, especially given Nystrom's leadership in that dressing room.

Would he have been a good sport about it? Probably not after having not scored in nearly two months, a streak which ended last weekend. It was a very selfish move on the part of Hensick.

So the question remains, does Nystrom teach or scold Hensick for a move like that?

I didn't see the game, but someone I talked with said that after the replay of the goal they cut to a shot of Nystrom on the bench appearing to be yelling at someone. Anyone catch that? Wonder if it was Hensick he was firing words at.

Hobey Baker

May 27, 2004
Charlestown
sabresprospects.com
Hopefully, he was being a true leader by example and not stirring it up with Hensick in the public eye. UM as a whole should be happy with the W and move on. If Nystrom has a problem with what Hensick did, he ought to take it up with him on the bus, at the bar, etc.

Munchausen

SpaceGhost79 said:
I didn't see the game, but someone I talked with said that after the replay of the goal they cut to a shot of Nystrom on the bench appearing to be yelling at someone. Anyone catch that? Wonder if it was Hensick he was firing words at.

No I think he was yelling at someone on the OSU's bench, at least this is what the color commentary guy said.

Hockeycanada*

Speaking of Michigan, does anybody know if I can watch the upcoming games against Nothern Michigan somewhere on the internet?

fatsunny

Jan 22, 2005
Hockey is the ultimate team sport. You cannot survive in a tough league with a primadonna player like you can in football/basetball/baseball. The physical play and the line changes take away the influence of one player. With that said, unselfish play uplifts a team and creates unity and team sacrifice which results in wins and a selfish play does just the opposite. A good example is a guy in a position to score in an empty net passing to a teammate so he can get his hat trick. Much different mentality than what Hensick did. I'm not judging his motives since I can't read his mind, just reading what he did.

I'm sure Red will take care of this and say something to Hensick and make sure unselfish play and team unity stays the focus for Michigan.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
KB said:
Hopefully, he was being a true leader by example and not stirring it up with Hensick in the public eye. UM as a whole should be happy with the W and move on. If Nystrom has a problem with what Hensick did, he ought to take it up with him on the bus, at the bar, etc.
So you're saying Hensick is a booze hound?

The Maltais Falcon

Jan 9, 2005
Atlanta, GA
Is it possible he just got caught up in the excitement of the win and the empty netter? When a forward sees a puck and an empty net, it's his natural instinct to tap it in. I didn't see the play, so I can't comment on how much effort Hensick made to take away the empty netter from Nystrom.

Anyways, if Nystrom gets bent out of shape over getting an assist instead of a goal on the play, then his character probably needs to be called into question just as much as Hensick's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad