Player Discussion T.J. Brodie

FerklundCGY

Jul 3, 2017
Does this include his several massive giveaways in the slot to opposing players? Not taking away that Gio has been a solid D presence, but let's not act like he's been phenomenal. Brodie has had small lapses, but he's been better in all zones than Gio.

Gio's made a couple bad turnovers, sure, but he hasn't been made out to look like a pylon the way Brodie has a few times this season.

Brodie's been pretty good, yes, and his offense has been spectacular, but his defense hasn't been anywhere as good as it usually is. Gio, on the other hand, continues to be dominant in the defensive zone while remaining an elite shot generator.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Gio has been better defensively, yes. But for me, the difference is Brodie’s offensive game to Gio’s, would make me give the nod to Brodie overall. Brodie has had some struggles, but he’s also been quite good at times.

CraigsList

In Conroy We Trust
Apr 22, 2014
USA
He's arguably been the best defenseman this season, but he needs to show a lot more consistency. I'm not used to him making quite a bit of boneheaded mistakes, but he has. Once he cuts those down he'll be back to his borderline-elite status he once was.

SmellOfVictory

Jun 3, 2011
Welcome back to the first pair T.J.!

Can't wait for everyone to say how the only reason he's good again is because he got back to playing right side with Gio (which will obviously help) while simultaneously forgetting that GG and his awful system are gone
That's the problem, we have no way to know what the actual issue is (unless we're unlucky and Brodie plays with the same issues next season, in which case... aw crap).

OvermanKingGainer

#BennettFreed #CurseofTheSpulll #FreeOliver
Feb 3, 2015
2022 Cup to Calgary
I feel like Peters is just going to tell these guys to go and play.

Maybe, but I doubt it'll be nearly jaw-dropping as the Hartley era. I swear, if we had Hanifin-Hamonic and Kulak-Stone as our 2nd/3rd pairs under Bob Hartley, the hockey would have been absolutely gorgeous and effective. His systems were made for our current roster.

Johnny Hoxville

The Return of a Legend
Jul 15, 2006
Calgary
Maybe, but I doubt it'll be nearly jaw-dropping as the Hartley era. I swear, if we had Hanifin-Hamonic and Kulak-Stone as our 2nd/3rd pairs under Bob Hartley, the hockey would have been absolutely gorgeous and effective. His systems were made for our current roster.

Yeah no matter what it will be very hard to recreate that magic to what it was.

Reactions: flamesforcup

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012
If Peters doesn’t work, I would bring back Bob

He was never given goaltending or depth and the top of our roster performed well under him...

The year he got fired we were in the thick of a playoff race when Karri Ramo, yes Karri Ramo, got injured and Hiller took over and we sunk to the Tkachuk pick.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012

His styles of playing an inconsistent, hard to duplicate and reliance on a lot of luck system; I’m okay with never seeing Hartley behind our bench even in our imagination.

DCDM

Da Rink Cats
Mar 24, 2008
Calgary
If Peters doesn’t work, I would bring back Bob

He was never given goaltending or depth and the top of our roster performed well under him...

The year he got fired we were in the thick of a playoff race when Karri Ramo, yes Karri Ramo, got injured and Hiller took over and we sunk to the Tkachuk pick.
He was canned because his philosophy wore thin. Can't imagine they go back to that as long as the same core is here.

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria
A large part of Bob being fired seemed to be a personality/coaching style conflict with the stars on the team. I don't think you can go back to him after that.

But his system is one I'd love to get back to, especially seeing as a very similar system got Vegas to the Cup final this year with a below-average roster on paper. He definitely never had a roster to work with nearly as good as the one we currently have.

Flameshomer

Likeaholic
Aug 26, 2010
Edmonton
From friedman's dougie blurb in 31 thoughts:
"Brodie, more of a jazz-musician freelancer"

Corroborates many of the rumors I've also heard about him locally, while somewhat explaining his lackadaisical attitude at all times. It also certainly should open many of your eyes to Brodie's value league wide- not much more than someone like MDZ in my opinion.

Aug 3, 2010

Corroborates many of the rumors I've also heard about him locally, while somewhat explaining his lackadaisical attitude at all times. It also certainly should open many of your eyes to Brodie's value league wide- not much more than someone like MDZ in my opinion.
Between a museum aficianado and an aspiring jazz musician, it's a wonder Calgary's blueliners had time for hockey at all :sarcasm:

Kahvi

Sponsor
Jun 4, 2007
Alberga

I thought that was a reference that Brodie likes to get some freedom and creativity offensively

Anglesmith

Setting up the play?
Sep 17, 2012
Victoria

Boy, what a leap that is. How you get from Friedman saying he likes to be a bit of rover to saying he's seen as a guy who should be making $1M a year I have no idea. Erik Karlsson is also a jazz musician.

Fig

Absolute Horse Shirt
Dec 15, 2014
So in terms of jazz, is Karlsson more well rounded like Kenny G and Brodie more like a one hit wonder like epic sax guy?

Reactions: Signature

DFF

Feb 28, 2002
IMO, from the list of guys that do not hate to lose, Brodie must be way on top of that list.

I do not think his trade value is too high. Certainly wouldnt fetch us anything close to Hanifin and/or Lindholm. That's why he remains a FLames. They have to figure out how to get him going now.

Mr Snrub

I like the way Snrub thinks!
Oct 12, 2016
So in terms of jazz, is Karlsson more well rounded like Kenny G and Brodie more like a one hit wonder like epic sax guy?

Personally I think Brodie is closer to this guy. A true rogue element

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->