Systems & Coaching Changes

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I know it's extremely early in preseason but has anyone noticed any differences in the systems the guys are playing?

I like to think I would notice a change, as significant as I was anticipating, being implemented.

So far seems exactly the same systems, same lines, same PP etc...

Are they waiting for regular season to implement?

CycloneSweep

Sep 27, 2017
I know it's extremely early in preseason but has anyone noticed any differences in the systems the guys are playing?

I like to think I would notice a change, as significant as I was anticipating, being implemented.

New systems take time to take effect.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
I think it's probably a combo of there not being as many changes as you were hoping. McLellan is still the head coach afterall. And it being really early in still. Most of the regulars have only played a single game. Still in evaluation mode for a lot of these guys I imagine. System work is probably ongoing.

Reactions: nabob and Aerrol

Porkleaker

Mar 19, 2017
Onterrible
Really need to see more games to see if anything has changed, but watching Lucic out there 4 on 4 and 5 Left handed Shooters on the PP you could tell that Todd was still the coach. I have zero faith in him.

Reactions: nabob and PulYou

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
[QUOTE="Porkleaker, post: 149795019, member: 283781"]Really need to see more games to see if anything has changed, but watching Lucic out there 4 on 4 and 5 Left handed Shooters on the PP you could tell that Todd was still the coach. I have zero faith in him.[/QUOTE]

My knee jerk reaction as well--they are still getting used to the system

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
Team seems more aggressive on the forecheck. PK formation is different.

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
The special teams are still pretty much a mess the cross ice pass on the pk is still there all the time and the set up of players just looks goofy. PP? oh lets throw 5 left handed guys out there again with Mcdavid on his usual wall the dumbassery of it all especially when they had JP, Bouchard, and Bear all in the lineup.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy

I agree to an extent, more pressure and faster in general. That I have seen.

With regards to special teams I think Todd said that he will "give the guys from last season a chance to succeed", so I assume that means little change, but very short leash. It is a bit nerve-wracking though seeing the same guys out there as last year in the same situations, considering how things went down.

ThePhoenixx

Aug 7, 2005

With regards to special teams I think Todd said that he will "give the guys from last season a chance to succeed", so I assume that means little change, but very short leash. It is a bit nerve-wracking though seeing the same guys out there as last year in the same situations, considering how things went down.

It's weird. He's like the coach who doesn't like to coach.

Just please try and get line match-ups this year.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011

Very strange.

No reason to use the same PP units. At all in my mind.

Reactions: Aerrol and LaGu

t0nedeff

Jun 29, 2010
What was a huge part in cratering the season last year? Oh the pp lets leave that the same and just hope they succeed like they did up to game 70 last year makes no f***ing sense. The teams 5 on 5 play to start last season was good we lost games because of the moronic pk/pp set ups. Its almost blatantly obvious that Mclellan is the problem with this team if he can't process the need to change what helped kill the season.

LaGu

Jan 4, 2011
Italy
Very strange.

No reason to use the same PP units. At all in my mind.
Maybe for a game or two, which I thought was the idea. But last game they went on with it again...

No, have the new guys look and decide what they want to see and play (obviously that is not happening yet). If this goes on I am also not sure what to think... Well, thought no1 will be Todd out if they don't perform very well im special teams going into the season.

thadd

Oil4Life
Jun 9, 2007
Canada
Watching the last game I wasn't able to notice any huge differences, but I was able to notice player chemistry with the 3rd line that didn't seem to be as on par as last year.

Ritchie Valens

Sep 24, 2007
Weren't the Oilers pretty decent at 5 vs 5? I thought several posters were saying this was the case and it was the special teams that did them in.

If that's the case, I don't think there'll be much change in "system play", just the addition of a more intense forecheck pressure and a different setup on the PK and the PP.

Unless they said theyre going to incorporate a new system, but I just recall Gulutzan saying they were going to play a faster style of game.

Wewillrise

Jul 25, 2015
I’ve noticed they are making plays very quickly. Even if the man it’s covered they still attempt the play to move the puck up fast. For the most part it has worked even though it dosent look like the best play. They support in the neutral zone for those passes and always have heavy pressure on the puck. Noticed the wingers standing up on sh blhe line on the PK. Yamo scores off one of those.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I’ve noticed they are making plays very quickly. Even if the man it’s covered they still attempt the play to move the puck up fast. For the most part it has worked even though it dosent look like the best play. They support in the neutral zone for those passes and always have heavy pressure on the puck. Noticed the wingers standing up on sh blhe line on the PK. Yamo scores off one of those.

The PK having our forwards so low was an absolutely moronic thing I couldn't understand. Always assumed it was because our Pkers were slow.

The quick puck movement you describe will mean a few more turn overs but depending on execution could be a net positive.

Thanks for your input. Cant say ive seen much of what you have but im glad someone has.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
They have seemed more aggressive 5 on 5 in the offense zone. Its preseason though and they havent really played any good teams so hard to know for sure if its the system or just the circumstances.

As far as defensive systems go, too early to tell I think. Seems like a mess so far.

Special teams unfortunately seem the same especially the PP. And considering how awful they were last year, thats disappointing. The PK did look a little better last game with actual Oiler players but once again, Winnipeg didnt play a strong roster.

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
We had three PP setups for the top unit last year

#1 where Letestu was the only RH shot
#2 was the horrible 5 LH passers setup
#3 was Strome in for Letestu after Mark was traded.

Now this year we’re back to the 5 LH passer setup. It’s like Todd is willing to endure tons of failure just so that if it works once his stupidity can be justified. He’s a muppet, and looks like one too.

Reactions: PulYou

nabob

Big Daddy Kane
Aug 3, 2005
HF boards
Also the PK should have a large advantage right now. Most of our PKing has been done by regulars and we haven’t faced any other teams actual top units that would be practicing together as a unit.

McAsuno

Jul 10, 2013
Edmonton
We had three PP setups for the top unit last year

#1 where Letestu was the only RH shot
#2 was the horrible 5 LH passers setup
#3 was Strome in for Letestu after Mark was traded.

Now this year we’re back to the 5 LH passer setup. It’s like Todd is willing to endure tons of failure just so that if it works once his stupidity can be justified. He’s a muppet, and looks like one too.

They have JP for a RH shot, but refuse to utilize him on the first PP. McLellan stubbornness knows no bounds.

Reactions: Porkleaker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad