Prospect Info: Syracuse Crunch, Orlando Solar Bears, & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

After returning from his 1 game in the VHL, Groshev played 2 games on the 3rd line for SKA (playing 14:03 & 13:38). But it was back to the 4th line which saw him play 4:25 on Thursday and only 2:49 today. I'm glad he's playing and actively involved with a professional club while so many other prospects are not playing, practicing, or allowed to train at their teams facilities atm, but I continue to wince at how this teenage prospect is being "developed."

The Orlando Solar Bears have announced the club will open its ninth season of ECHL competition with the opening of training camp and on-ice sessions on Monday, November 30 at the RDV Sportsplex Ice Den. All Solar Bears practices and scrimmages will take place on the Pro rink located in the rear of the Ice Den.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

After returning from his 1 game in the VHL, Groshev played 2 games on the 3rd line for SKA (playing 14:03 & 13:38). But it was back to the 4th line which saw him play 4:25 on Thursday and only 2:49 today. I'm glad he's playing and actively involved with a professional club while so many other prospects are not playing, practicing, or allowed to train at their teams facilities atm, but I continue to wince at how this teenage prospect is being "developed."

I have the feeling I've seen everything the Bears can do in their current form. They refuse to change. When they do, it's the wrong direction. They never correct course.

Honestly, the current Halloween jersey took a ton of wind out of my sails and my enthusiasm for the team is at an all-time low.

I wouldn't be surprised if TB/SYR doesn't really send anybody. That's been pretty much a bust anyway. They don't prevent the org from their worst impulses, and they haven't moved the needle in getting us a Kelly Cup.

Maybe the Isles will send some guys.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I have the feeling I've seen everything the Bears can do in their current form. They refuse to change. When they do, it's the wrong direction. They never correct course.

Honestly, the current Halloween jersey took a ton of wind out of my sails and my enthusiasm for the team is at an all-time low.

I wouldn't be surprised if TB/SYR doesn't really send anybody. That's been pretty much a bust anyway. They don't prevent the org from their worst impulses, and they haven't moved the needle in getting us a Kelly Cup.

Maybe the Isles will send some guys.

You keep hating on the Syracuse affiliation and acting like they aren’t sending anybody. In 18-19 they sent Bourke, Tammela, Sommpi, Spencer, Lipanov, Hults, Sosunov and Ingram. In 19-20 they sent Lipanov, Abbandonato, Shaligin, Huntington, Lohin, Sosunov and Fucale. Those are players who played 10 or more games for Orlando from Syracuse. Sure it's not the best list of names but it's 8 and 7 players which is half the amount you can dress and just under. Not sure which affiliation is sending much more than that? When Tampa was affiliated with Florida they didn't send many players to the team that won the Kelly Cup, so you should probably stop expecting that.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
You keep hating on the Syracuse affiliation and acting like they aren’t sending anybody. In 18-19 they sent Bourke, Tammela, Sommpi, Spencer, Lipanov, Hults, Sosunov and Ingram. In 19-20 they sent Lipanov, Abbandonato, Shaligin, Huntington, Lohin, Sosunov and Fucale. Those are players who played 10 or more games for Orlando from Syracuse. Sure it's not the best list of names but it's 8 and 7 players which is half the amount you can dress and just under. Not sure which affiliation is sending much more than that? When Tampa was affiliated with Florida they didn't send many players to the team that won the Kelly Cup, so you should probably stop expecting that.
Fucale was pretty good. Forgot about him because he left for Europe before the season ended. He was still the second goalie behind Windsor.

Lipanov, Shaligin, & Sosunov were replacement players. Lohin was injured the entire time. Huntington and Abbandonato were decent, but only made cameos.

Syracuse doesn't seem to have enough guys signed to really send anyone this year other than Windsor (who was signed right before the season shut down), Pavelchev, and maybe Lohin.

Then I see what SJ has given the Bears in those same two years. Top ECHL players who we get for long, long stretches of time. OSB actually brings those guys back on ECHL deals.

In the ECHL, there's a caste. Florida, SC, Allen, and Toledo are at the top. Every year. Florida and Allen change affiliates. Doesn't matter. OSB doesn't have *it*, and it doesn't seem to kill their management the way it does me.

edit: lemme clarify what the previous post meant. When I say 'org' I mean the business side of the team. What you guys don't see, but I do since I go to the games. The coaches want to win and I think the premise of their plan makes sense for the ECHL.

But I think the business side has deeper issues. Those are the 'worst instincts' I'm talking about.

Last edited:
Reactions: Major4Boarding

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Windsor, Abbandonato, Pavlychev, and Devante Stephens assigned to Orlando. Wasn't really expecting that last one. OSB is so overloaded at LHD though, it makes sense to be able to flip some guys. Since Brodzinski left, the team only has one RHD. 3rd pair defenseman Kevin Lohan.

Based on Stephens past success with the Cyclones, I've got him as probably the #1 defenseman right now. Long term, I don't think that's the plan, which is where my head is at. He's not going to be here for the playoffs, unless the AHL cancels, so he's not really a solution for the Solar Bears in any real sense.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

“The current situation with the pandemic in the regions in which we operate makes it extremely difficult to play games,” shared Commissioner Gilles Courteau. “With the Holidays just around the corner, the provinces in the Maritimes have restricted access and travel, while red zone restrictions in Quebec do not permit us to play.”

More details on the return to play will be made available in the next few weeks.

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
Fucale was pretty good. Forgot about him because he left for Europe before the season ended. He was still the second goalie behind Windsor.

Lipanov, Shaligin, & Sosunov were replacement players. Lohin was injured the entire time. Huntington and Abbandonato were decent, but only made cameos.

Syracuse doesn't seem to have enough guys signed to really send anyone this year other than Windsor (who was signed right before the season shut down), Pavelchev, and maybe Lohin.

Then I see what SJ has given the Bears in those same two years. Top ECHL players who we get for long, long stretches of time. OSB actually brings those guys back on ECHL deals.

In the ECHL, there's a caste. Florida, SC, Allen, and Toledo are at the top. Every year. Florida and Allen change affiliates. Doesn't matter. OSB doesn't have *it*, and it doesn't seem to kill their management the way it does me.

edit: lemme clarify what the previous post meant. When I say 'org' I mean the business side of the team. What you guys don't see, but I do since I go to the games. The coaches want to win and I think the premise of their plan makes sense for the ECHL.

But I think the business side has deeper issues. Those are the 'worst instincts' I'm talking about.

I believe that per the contract with Tampa, Syracuse is allowed to sign only X number of players and those players are given ice time behind the Tampa contract prospects, who naturally have priority. It does not make sense financially for Syracuse to sign players strictly for the Bears when players who are under Tampa contract but need more ice time than Syracuse can give them to hone their skills can be sent to Orlando.
This is an ongoing thing between the AHL/ECHL as Syracuse had the same questions raised when Elmira was getting players from the Crunch. Some of the AHL teams are able to put more players under contract, thereby allowing them to send more players to the ECHL. The final call belongs to the NHL team's management and the NHL/AHL contract agreement.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I believe that per the contract with Tampa, Syracuse is allowed to sign only X number of players and those players are given ice time behind the Tampa contract prospects, who naturally have priority. It does not make sense financially for Syracuse to sign players strictly for the Bears when players who are under Tampa contract but need more ice time than Syracuse can give them to hone their skills can be sent to Orlando.
This is an ongoing thing between the AHL/ECHL as Syracuse had the same questions raised when Elmira was getting players from the Crunch. Some of the AHL teams are able to put more players under contract, thereby allowing them to send more players to the ECHL. The final call belongs to the NHL team's management and the NHL/AHL contract agreement.
I don't really care how many. Toronto would send Orlando truck loads of dudes and fans (rightly) eventually blew a gasket over how much wheel-spinning was taking place.

Just send the guys that will make the affiliation worthwhile. Having Abbandonato in for like 3 games a few times a year doesn't really do much good, other than 'getting minutes'. Orlando probably has to clear a roster spot, which means releasing or trading a guy, then TB/SYR wants him back again to ride the pine, so OSB has to get somebody else.

I think the guys need to sort of know where they're intended be spending the playoffs. Affiliated players don't always want to buy-in to being in the ECHL.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Yesterday was the first day of NCHC play

Koepke had an assist for UMD in their 1st win

Perbix had 2 points, including the game winner for St. Cloud State

SCSU wins on puck batted in by WMU player in NCHC opener | The Rink Live
Miller went up the right side and passed it to Perbix in the middle and he caught and shot the puck in one motion.

The puck went off the shoulder of goalie Austin Cain and up into the air. Western Michigan forward Josh Passolt leaped and tried to bat the puck out of the way with his glove, but knocked it into his own net.

"I gave it to Micah and he was able to find me in the middle," said Perbix, a junior defenseman from Elk River, Minn. "I guess when you put pucks on the net, good things happen.

"I put it on net and I was turning to get back on the blue line and I don't even remember who it was, but they started screaming at me and I look in the net and, of course it was there. Better to be lucky than good sometimes."
"I thought he was a bright spot," Larson said of Perbix, who struggled with consistency last season. "I thought Perby moved the puck really well with his breakouts and his transitions were good. He looked to jump into the play and be more assertive and being the guy who can dictate the play a little bit. We've certainly been wanting to see that out of him.

"Although he's a totally different looking player, we're looking for him to fill the shoes of (graduated All-American) Jack Ahcan with a bit of offense."
Perbix is 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds.

Denver (Webster, Guttman, Chrona) play UMD (Koepke) later today at 7:35

Last edited:

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
I don't really care how many. Toronto would send Orlando truck loads of dudes and fans (rightly) eventually blew a gasket over how much wheel-spinning was taking place.

Just send the guys that will make the affiliation worthwhile. Having Abbandonato in for like 3 games a few times a year doesn't really do much good, other than 'getting minutes'. Orlando probably has to clear a roster spot, which means releasing or trading a guy, then TB/SYR wants him back again to ride the pine, so OSB has to get somebody else.

I think the guys need to sort of know where they're intended be spending the playoffs. Affiliated players don't always want to buy-in to being in the ECHL.

Both the Crunch and Lightning have had injury issues the last few seasons, so being able to recall folks from Orlando to fill the gaps is hurting the Bears no doubt. The Crunch have signed as many as Tampa will let them to fill some of the holes, but Syracuse has gone without a full roster on more than one occasion during that time. Add the games the Crunch were dressing defensemen to fill out the forward spots open due to injuries and call-ups, and yes, we feel your pain.
Sadly, how the minor league farm system works is a hard lesson for fans of the AHL and ECHL to learn and remember.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Both the Crunch and Lightning have had injury issues the last few seasons, so being able to recall folks from Orlando to fill the gaps is hurting the Bears no doubt. The Crunch have signed as many as Tampa will let them to fill some of the holes, but Syracuse has gone without a full roster on more than one occasion during that time. Add the games the Crunch were dressing defensemen to fill out the forward spots open due to injuries and call-ups, and yes, we feel your pain.
Sadly, how the minor league farm system works is a hard lesson for fans of the AHL and ECHL to learn and remember.
I've known those lessons all too well.

However, what I like about the ECHL is the theoretical independence. A team doesn't have to rely on an affiliate to build a team, so I take it more as using an affiliate to meet your own objectives. It's a complementary support system. Not the only one.

TB can send us two killer players that we keep, with some intermittent call-ups. That'd be fine. I don't think the team needs to be clogged up with every hastily-signed, low round draft pick, ELC-slide YOLO.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Hugo Alnefelt receives his invite to Sweden's WJC selection camp

Groshev scratched :/

Webster made his collegiate debut on Denver's 3rd line last night against UMD. The 2019 7th rounder played in the USHL last year.

Chrona made 18/20 saves for the 2-1 loss. After playing the #3 team in the country, Denver plays top ranked North Dakota tomorrow.

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
That does not sound good at all
That English translation sounds little bit .... weird. He delivered some dirty hits and probably talked crap towards referees/some players after. There is not video from that incident so we never gonna find out what exactly happened. Like I said before ... All the talent in the world but when his team is losing he can be very hotheaded and doing stupid things.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

The past 5 years Slovakia has finished 7th, 8th, 7th, 8th, and 8th in this tournament. They're always on the edge of having to play a relegation game. So they are taking this very seriously as they kick out one of the more talented players on their team. Cajkovic, as one of the older returning players was suppose to be a leader for this team.

This is also a troubling trend for Cajkovic. There's too many incidents that show poor behavior or lack of maturity. DeAngelo is a perfect example that this organization won't overlook these kinds of things, no matter what your upside is.

Last edited:

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
That English translation sounds little bit .... weird. He delivered some dirty hits and probably talked crap towards referees/some players after. There is not video from that incident so we never gonna find out what exactly happened. Like I said before ... All the talent in the world but when his team is losing he can be very hotheaded and doing stupid things.

Thats too bad. Not a good tourney to be sent home from. Big stage to make some noise for yourself. Not good noise in this case.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->