Prospect Info: Syracuse Crunch, Orlando Solar Bears, & Prospects Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Some more stuff on Groulx

“My brother actually took a funny video. It was right after the game in the room, I went up to BG (Groulx), gave him a big hug, we were talking, just said ‘Think about how far we’ve come,’” Colton said. “I told him I definitely wouldn’t be here today if it wasn’t for him and my time in Syracuse. I’m just so thankful for that and my development there was definitely key for me and I think for me personally, BG taught me just what it took to get to the next level, what it took to be a pro. I thanked him for that. I just think my time in Syracuse, it was huge for me and wouldn’t be able to accomplish this without the coaching staff and all the players there.”

google translated
“Two Stanley Cups in nine months is special. Plus, I got my ring after the game. All the staff, all the families had been invited, the scouts, the trainers, everyone was in Tampa for Game 5 and would have stayed until a seventh (if necessary) and for the parade ... It was a great exceptional evening, where I was able to see players that I had not seen, for the most part, for two years, in addition to reuniting with their parents, ”said Groulx when contacted by Le Droit on Thursday at the Tampa airport , where he was waiting for his flight to return to Montreal, where he spends the off season.
Considering having played a certain role in these two conquests, the ring he had in his pocket being tangible proof, Groulx and his deputies from Syracuse, Éric Veilleux and Gilles Bouchard, were however careful not to touch the precious trophy, and even less to drink champagne from his cup. “The guys from Syracuse, we are fortunate to work for an organization like this because everyone's work is recognized by the people on the team. We all got our ring from last year and we're getting a second one. But as a coach, even though I contributed to that Stanley Cup victory, she belongs to the group that has been in the midst of adversity for the past year and a half. If I lift the Stanley Cup, it's going to be because I'm behind the team bench, "said the superstitious former Olympics coach, with whom he won three President's Cups.
As to whether he could make the jump to the NHL next season, possibly as an assistant to his good friend André Tourigny, new driver for the Arizona Coyotes, Groulx said it was a conversation "for another." day". "We'll see when I get back from vacation in two weeks, one day at a time ... It's fun for André, he well deserves it. He's going to do a good job, he's ready for that, ”added Groulx, who was also in the line at Phoenix.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I'd sign Darren to a two way NHL deal. We need defenders in Syracuse bad next year. Green and Semykin are the only two under contract so far. I doubt he sees the NHL unless we have some injury issues on the right side, he has good offensive skills but he would be overmatched in his own zone. Would need to be a guy you can shelter and put out in favorable matchups.

dbieon12

Vinik-Brisebois-Cooper
Jul 22, 2010
How much can we expect Foote to contribute this coming season? Seems it is time, no? I would have protected 1 less D (Sergachev) in exchange for more skaters.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
How much can we expect Foote to contribute this coming season? Seems it is time, no? I would have protected 1 less D (Sergachev) in exchange for more skaters.

He played half the regular season this year so should be ready for hopefully the entire one this year. He sat late in the season for Savard and before that Schenn was playing more. They wanted to get the vets ready which is who they were going to go with in the playoffs. Would think he's the 3rd pair RD from the start.

Reactions: NatoGhost

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
Can someone give me a rundown on Raddysh and Katchouk? I know they both broke out last year, scoring lots of goals in the shortened season. What kinds of players are they? Where might they slot into the Lightning lineup, assuming they can make the team? Upside?
Thanks.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Can someone give me a rundown on Raddysh and Katchouk? I know they both broke out last year, scoring lots of goals in the shortened season. What kinds of players are they? Where might they slot into the Lightning lineup, assuming they can make the team? Upside?
Thanks.
Raddysh was a big point producer in junior. He's got a great offensive skill set as a goal scorer and playmaker. He's a great player with the puck on his stick. In Erie he played with Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome, and Alex DeBrincat and that really took advantage of his biggest strengths as a prospect to fill nets. Because of that we could see him playing on a scoring line at the NHL level one day. What he's had to work on in Syracuse the past few years is essentially everything else. Quicker feet, using that 6'3" frame more to his advantage, being more aggressive instead of waiting for the play to come to him, and rounding out the rest of his game. He was a streaky scorer in the AHL his first 2 years, but it seems like he was able to put it all together in his 3rd year.

Katchouk has a lot of tools to work with. He can skate, has good speed, he can get physical and sometimes be a pest, he can play pk or pp, he's very versatile, and has decent offensive skills for the NHL level. The biggest thing with him according to Groulx back in 2020 was his compete level, maturity, and game to game consistency. Did he want to put in the necessary work? I remember watching him in the WJC and him causing major havoc and being a big impact player 1 game and then flipping a switch and being very invisible the next. So he's got everything he needs to succeed. After giving him some tough love, Groulx seemed very happy with his personal progress in 2021 and made a statement that Katchouk would play in the NHL, so we should feel good about that. He's probably more of a 3rd liner at the next level. We're in need of guys who can move and forecheck and play hard, and he has the ability to do so.

It's kind of hard to say where they'll end up in the lineup (assuming they make it). Really depends on what the roster looks like by August. I'd expect ABB, Simon Ryfors, and Otto Somppi to be in that training camp battle too which will be good in making sure players have to earn their spots. Something intersting about Raddysh and Katchouk though is they played together on Team Canada, they played together with the Soo Greyhounds, and then again in Syracuse. There's so much built in chemistry between the 2, you could put them together again on the same line in Tampa.

Last edited:

Point21

Oct 23, 2018
This makes sense logistically but for fans in Syracuse, just means we are once again on the outside looking in for an NHL Exhibition game.
ive always wondered if Tampa hops on the train of moving their AHL team closer to the NHL team. But i think with how they have more games up north it makes more sense to keep them in Syracuse

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
ive always wondered if Tampa hops on the train of moving their AHL team closer to the NHL team. But i think with how they have more games up north it makes more sense to keep them in Syracuse
TB switched from Norfolk to Syracuse in order to have shorter road trips.

Orlando could only work as an AHL city if Atlanta, Jacksonville, Estero, etc. join in. The nearest team right now is Charlotte.

I also prefer the independence of the ECHL.

YayHockeysBack

Jan 12, 2019
Raddysh was a big point producer in junior. He's got a great offensive skill set as a goal scorer and playmaker. He's a great player with the puck on his stick. In Erie he played with Connor McDavid, Dylan Strome, and Alex DeBrincat and that really took advantage of his biggest strengths as a prospect to fill nets. Because of that we could see him playing on a scoring line at the NHL level one day. What he's had to work on in Syracuse the past few years is essentially everything else. Quicker feet, using that 6'3" frame more to his advantage, being more aggressive instead of waiting for the play to come to him, and rounding out the rest of his game. He was a streaky scorer in the AHL his first 2 years, but it seems like he was able to put it all together in his 3rd year.

Katchouk has a lot of tools to work with. He can skate, has good speed, he can get physical and sometimes be a pest, he can play pk or pp, he's very versatile, and has decent offensive skills for the NHL level. The biggest thing with him according to Groulx back in 2020 was his compete level, maturity, and game to game consistency. Did he want to put in the necessary work? I remember watching him in the WJC and him causing major havoc and being a big impact player 1 game and then flipping a switch and being very invisible the next. So he's got everything he needs to succeed. After giving him some tough love, Groulx seemed very happy with his personal progress in 2021 and made a statement that Katchouk would play in the NHL, so we should feel good about that. He's probably more of a 3rd liner at the next level. We're in need of guys who can move and forecheck and play hard, and he has the ability to do so.

It's kind of hard to say where they'll end up in the lineup (assuming they make it). Really depends on what the roster looks like by August. I'd expect ABB, Simon Ryfors, and Otto Somppi to be in that training camp battle too which will be good in making sure players have to earn their spots. Something intersting about Raddysh and Katchouk though is they played together on Team Canada, they played together with the Soo Greyhounds, and then again in Syracuse. There's so much built in chemistry between the 2, you could put them together again on the same line in Tampa.

Wow, thank you so much!
How would you compare Raddysh to Killorn? They're both big guys with limited skating. Is that right?

Crunchrulz

Apr 30, 2010
USA
TB switched from Norfolk to Syracuse in order to have shorter road trips.

Orlando could only work as an AHL city if Atlanta, Jacksonville, Estero, etc. join in. The nearest team right now is Charlotte.

I also prefer the independence of the ECHL.

This is exactly why. With Syracuse's location having access to both I81 and I90, travel time between games is cut down big time. Rochester is appx 95 miles to the West, Utica is appx 50 miles East, WBS is three hours away heading south. Makes it a lot easier on the organization when the players know they will be in their own beds after a "short" bus trip rather than spending hours in transit.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
Wow, thank you so much!
How would you compare Raddysh to Killorn? They're both big guys with limited skating. Is that right?
I don't really think of them as similar players. When people talked about Raddysh as a prospect, it was more about his shot, his hands, his nose for the net, his offensive potential. With Killorn, you looked at the whole package. He was always more of a 2-way kind a guy. And his game has kept evolving. He's a much smarter, more mature, 200 foot player and pker than he was 3 years ago.

With Raddysh's size, he doesn't really have a mean streak. He's more of a guy that will pin you or lean on you than look for big contact. He didn't really need to rely on his frame in juniors, but hopefully he's learned what an asset that can be for him in the NHL.

And with skating, it's not so much a problem of straight line speed for Raddysh. Most players are fine once they get going. It's that first step acceleration, it's short area quickness to reach 50-50 pucks. I don't think Killer's skating as ever been an issue, other than the occasional fall. He's not a burner, but he gets around just fine.

Last edited:

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ

This summer, the pair is training with fellow CNY hockey up-and-comers Anthony Angello (Pittsburgh), Joel Farabee (Philadelphia) and Thomas Harley (Dallas). Next week, Powell and Tuch will return to Plymouth for a Team USA showcase in a bid to make next winter’s World Juniors.
Powell is skating at Tennity Ice Pavilion in Syracuse. The Crunch have held training camp here before.
When they might leave college and sign a pro deal

Powell:
“I think I’m just kind of taking it year-by-year. I think I’m in a really solid spot at Boston College. I’ve been in contact with the Tampa Bay staff, and even the Crunch here. They’ve been great in helping, especially in these summers and these off-periods, kind of developing and working on your skills and getting stronger and things like that. I think we’ve both come to the conclusion when it’s the right time, and I feel comfortable to step into that pro game, I think that’s going to be the right time. But right now I think I’m just kind of geared toward this next season here at Boston College and hopefully making a run, having some success there.”

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
The Draft is July 23rd and 24th.
The US summer evaluation camp is July 24th - 31st.
Canada's is July 28th - August 4th.

I saw that the Boston Bruins are running their development camp from Aug 2nd-6th. The Lightning too will probably hold their development camp in either late July or early August. Could mean that Jack Thompson, Eamon Powell, and Declan McDonnell will miss out while attending their national junior team camps. Might not get an announcement until after the draft.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad