Synthetic Ice

Nov 1, 2011
I am considering installing a synthetic ice rink at my house. Due to my side yard being damaged, I recently converted my side yard into a concrete pad (a 60ftx20ft area).

I let my kids shoot pucks there but I am realizing that I should likely install boards to protect my houses siding.

My kids are 8 and 6 and I'm thinking about installing synthetic ice with my boards. Does anybody have experience with synthetic ice?

I'm looking at using:
-D1 Glide Infused Self-Lubricated Pro Synthetic Ice,
-Hockey Shot Extreme Glide 1/2", or
-Poly Glide Synthetic Ice Pro

Wondering if anybody has tried any of these and if they were good. Also, assuming I never learn to sharpen skates, am I better off just renting ice time at the rink 5 minutes down the road?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I am considering installing a synthetic ice rink at my house. Due to my side yard being damaged, I recently converted my side yard into a concrete pad (a 60ftx20ft area).

I let my kids shoot pucks there but I am realizing that I should likely install boards to protect my houses siding.

My kids are 8 and 6 and I'm thinking about installing synthetic ice with my boards. Does anybody have experience with synthetic ice?

I'm looking at using:
-D1 Glide Infused Self-Lubricated Pro Synthetic Ice,
-Hockey Shot Extreme Glide 1/2", or
-Poly Glide Synthetic Ice Pro

Wondering if anybody has tried any of these and if they were good. Also, assuming I never learn to sharpen skates, am I better off just renting ice time at the rink 5 minutes down the road?

I got the hockey shot revolution synthetic ice in April. It’s a step down from extreme glide, and I wish I had spent a few hundred more for that, but all in all I’m pretty happy with the product. However, my advice is I’d definitely say go for the extreme glide... it seems to be the best synthetic ice from my research, but go with your own gut.

As for how the “ice” performs, it’s a little sticky, but both my daughter and I can practice our footwork... ie one foot stops, edge work, crossovers, etc... backwards skating is tricky because again its a little sticky... but you get used to it quickly.

Keep in mind the extreme glide is suppose to glide much better, and from video reviews, I’ve seen skaters glide a good 15-20 feet on one push... so you and your kids may have no issues with the stickiness as this is obviously a step up from our synthetic ice.

The only drawbacks to any of the Hockeyshot ice, even including the extreme glide ice (from all I’ve read), is the plastic shavings get all over the place, and your hollow wears down quickly. That definitely happens with our ice, but you just deal with the trade off.

If you are ok with a little extra cost for sharpenings and time cleaning up the shavings, your kids will definitely benefit from the synthetic ice IMHO.

Last edited:

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
This is for outdoor use? I have only used synthetic ice indoors, don't know what brand but it took extra effort over regular ice. I would expect outside use wound add problems.
Is the current concrete good for inline use?

Reactions: Fiji Water

LeifUK

Jan 2, 2018
I tried synthetic ice for the first time a few weeks ago. It was great for shooting and stick handling practice but not skating. My skates were recently sharpened, a week before, with a 1/2” hollow, but my skates slipped sideways, and the blades did not cut in. I wouldn’t feel safe doing crossovers, or turns. I don’t know the make.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->