Switzerland Names Their Team...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steelerman

Dec 19, 2002
Manitoba
Visit site
Switzerland has named their final roster for the 2005 WJC in Grand Forks:

G: Leonardo Genoni (87), Michael Tobler (85)

D: Alain Birbaum (85), Rafael Diaz (86), Philippe Furrer (85), Christian Haldimann (85), Clarence Kparghai (85), Philippe Seydoux (85), Patrick Von Gunten (85)

FW: Yan Benoit (85), Matthias Bieber (86), Fabian Debrunner (85), Gianni Ehrensberger (85), Stefan Hurlimann (85), Marco Kaser (85), Kevin Romy (85), Fabian Schnyder (85), Beat Schuler (85), Julien Sprunger (85), Victor Stancescu (85), Julian Walker (86), Roman Wick (85)

Switzerland potentially had eight players coming back from last year's team, but Peter Guggisberg and Antonio Rizzello did not make the cut. Guggisberg was somewhat surprising because he had three goals and three assists in five games (though I wonder if that came in the relegation round). Furrer is returning after missing the 2004 event (he played in 2003).

Just thought I'd toss that out there for the people. I'm heading to the Switzerland/Canada game on Wednesday and was checking their website for info...

Nicholas79

Sep 17, 2004
Guggisberg did not make the team because of injury. This team has a good offensive potential, but is really soft defensively. Expect a lot of goals when the Swiss are playing.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
Nicholas79 said:
Guggisberg did not make the team because of injury. This team has a good offensive potential, but is really soft defensively. Expect a lot of goals when the Swiss are playing.

Their offense isn´t great either. It´s sad but they have a really weak defense.
The past years they had always built on their solid defense. The losses of stephan and bärtschi hurt them.

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
the team is strong enough to avoid relegation but nothing more. although they could maybe surprise if their defense is going to play a strong tournament. seydoux should be in a key-role.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
zecke26 said:
the team is strong enough to avoid relegation but nothing more. although they could maybe surprise if their defense is going to play a strong tournament. seydoux should be in a key-role.

Are u sure? he had several injurys this year.... Beside Seydoux there is only Furrer with good qualities. And the Swiss haven´t like the past years a great goalkeeper. Tobler is nice but not as good as Manzato or Stephan were.

Winston Wolf

May 15, 2003
Philadelphia
What kind of role will Kevin Romy play on this team? I know he has 20 points in 30 games in the Swiss league this year. That looks pretty good for a guy his age.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Stevex said:
Is Victor Stancescu originally Romanian?
He's swiss. Switzerland is a country of many cultures.
Aside from the main influences (France, Germany, Austria and Italy) there are also a large number of people whose bloodroots lie in Romania, Hungary and also some from Czech republic and Slovakia.

mattihp

Aug 2, 2004
Uppsala, Sweden
Hart_House_Ca said:
Good luck to the swiss in the tournament. Hopefully more swiss can make it to the NHL.
All it takes is a fanatic team ^^ (hints at Sharks and germans) XD

Jokes aside...
Give them a successful skater in the NHL and all the talents will start to realize their potential more and stick to hockey.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
flyers guy said:
What kind of role will Kevin Romy play on this team? I know he has 20 points in 30 games in the Swiss league this year. That looks pretty good for a guy his age.

Romy is after Riesen, Von Arx and Bärtschi the best talent.

If he works probably he will land in the nhl. smae goes to bärtschi. I mean we in Swiss have the talent but it´s a mentality problem. the people don´t work as hard as in other countrys because they are so well paid. they don´t need the nhl.

best example is Michel Riesen. He was considered as a huge talent but.....

zecke26

Jan 16, 2003
THE NEXT ONE #87 said:
Are u sure? he had several injurys this year.... Beside Seydoux there is only Furrer with good qualities. And the Swiss haven´t like the past years a great goalkeeper. Tobler is nice but not as good as Manzato or Stephan were.

i'm sure that seydoux is the best defender they have and that he needs a strong tournament in order to get his team going. i'm not sure if he's able to do so, but at least have some hope.

THE NEXT ONE #87

Dec 18, 2003
Zurich
Visit site
zecke26 said:
i'm sure that seydoux is the best defender they have and that he needs a strong tournament in order to get his team going. i'm not sure if he's able to do so, but at least have some hope.

Seydoux got once again an injury and won´t play at the wjc. schnyder will play...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad