WC: Switzerland 2024 roster talk

EK47

Feb 7, 2013
Yeah, I won't deny that. It was just a general remark. Those discussion won't stop even with another coach.

No-one knows what happens when we change coaches. It could be better. Or not. But yeah, after 7 years it could be time to change coaches no matter what.

I'm actually wondering what the names are that those who wish hardly a new coach would like to see as a new coach.

And IMHO, much more important than a new coach is replacing Lars Weibel who just didn't do a good job. And he has the charisma of a sleeping pill (don't know if you can say that in English, in German you say Ausstrahlung einer Schlaftablette :)). Just not the type of guy we need to fight for Swiss ice hockey vs. the clubs in Switzerland.
All the charisma of a block of wood?

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Block of wood sounds amazing. 😂

I have no disagreement on that with you @Speyer and @Hinterland

I‘m just quoting reports to give those who don‘t follow that stuff as much insight as possible.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Couldn't see the game yesterday. Today another clear win. Altough Latvia was better than the result.

Not much on the negative side, both goalies played very well and on D some guys stepped up.
But also not much to take. Still a lot to players to join. Nino and Josi 1-2 down.

Guess the cuts:
- Wüthrich
- Kreis
- Marchon
- Bader

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
I thought both games were pretty solid, although Latvia was way below its standards on Friday. Solid play by the defense, way better than against Slovakia and France, solid goaltending and a lot more speed on offense.

Individually I really rated the defensemen. The forwards were a bit more inconsistent, with Bertschy, Richards and Moy being the most noticeable on Friday while Senteler and Herzog had a really good game today. On the other hand, Simion was disappointing, lots of questionable decisions and lack of end product.

Regarding the cuts, Wüthrich is obvious. On defense I think Baragano earned another week so I'd go with either Jung or Kreis. At forward, cut Marchon for sure (what was he hoping to accomplish with all those dirty plays?), and either Bader or Künzle.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Nino is 13 minutes away from being down 1-3.

Tagesanzeiger speculates that Fischer will go with Schmid, Hughes and either Berra or Genoni to the WC. This would be the logical step but I doubt this is going to happen.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Both had solid games against Latvia while Hughes doesn't have much national team experience. On the other hand Fischer was not afraid to take Mayer last year.

I can see Schmid being left out.

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Wüthrich and Marchon are the only cuts in the end. I guess ZSC and Lausanne going the distance made it harder to cut more players.

Josi and Niederreiter both potentially available as early as Wednesday.

Khokhlach86

Jul 8, 2012
Moscow
Wüthrich and Marchon are the only cuts in the end. I guess ZSC and Lausanne going the distance made it harder to cut more players.

Josi and Niederreiter both potentially available as early as Wednesday.

Torhüter (3): Reto Berra (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Leonardo Genoni (EV Zug), Akira Schmid (New Jersey Devils)

Verteidiger (9): David Aebischer (SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Iñaki Baragano (SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Dominik Egli (HC Davos), Michael Fora (HC Davos), Tobias Geisser (EV Zug), Sven Jung (HC Davos), Samuel Kreis (SC Bern), Romain Loeffel (SC Bern), Jonas Siegenthaler (New Jersey Devils)

Stürmer (16): Andres Ambühl (HC Davos), Thierry Bader (SC Bern), Christoph Bertschy (HC Fribourg-Gottéron), Gaëtan Haas (EHC Biel-Bienne), Fabrice Herzog (EV Zug), Nico Hischier (New Jersey Devils), Tino Kessler (EHC Biel-Bienne), Mike Künzle (EHC Biel-Bienne), Philipp Kurashev (Chicago Blackhawks), Marco Lehmann (SC Bern), Tyler Moy (SC Rapperswil-Jona Lakers), Tanner Richard (Genève-Servette HC), Tristan Scherwey (SC Bern), Sven Senteler (EV Zug), Dario Simion (EV Zug), Calvin Thürkauf (HC Lugano)

Reactions: Eye of Ra

stv11

Jul 29, 2004
Switzerland
Sounds like he wants to call at least certain Lausanne/ZSC players for the Weekend.

I guess it makes sense for guys like Jäger or Hugues who don't have any WC experience.

On the other hand, Malgin, Andrighetto, Riat, Kukan, Glauser and Marti probably don't need any pre-tournament game.

I wonder if any other player might get a look? Fuchs is having great playoffs, but there are more established players ahead of him.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Frick has been playing pretty well, too.

I guess it depends on if any of the ones who would be set has to pass out (or wants to pass out).

With Josi and Nino and with all the above players would be a pretty stacked roster.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
Is Fiala confirmed to not come? Since he and his wife are expecting a baby.

Well, he better play or the brutal Swiss players council (certainly Weibel and Fischer will have nothing to do with it and, as always, be forced to give in) is gonna ban Fiala for four years at least. If there's anything I learned then it's that in Swiss National teams, they don't want any cherry pickers. Nobody is bigger than the team. Not even Kevin Fiala.

Last edited:

Speyer

Sep 23, 2016
Im Wald
Zaugg thinks that the Bichsel ban won't hold:

I don't believe it. Schärer seems like a rather weak chairman particularly because he lacks a hockey background and therefore gives Weibel and Fischer a long leash. Klaus quotes some undisclosed sources but doesn't get concrete. The connection between Schärer and Bichsels dad belongs to the realm of speculation as well. Seems to me like Zaugg just wants to milk this story for a few more clicks. But we will see.

Reactions: Hinterland

MatBarzal

Apr 26, 2022
Fischer announced that all the players had expressed a desire to come to the national team in case of relegation from the Stanley Cup. So Fiala can come too

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Yeah, I mean, Zaugg rarley is on the right side of the story. That's true.

I played Handball for a long time and was active when Schärer still was active and also after his career when he was leading one of the bigger clubs in Switzerland and he is a strong personality and was also very successful with his businesses. I hope he's able to challenge Weibel, Fischer but also the league and I think it's quite natural that you don't change anything starting on day 1.

But yeah, maybe time has changed that.

As the world of Handball is pretty small I'm pretty sure they know each other, altough they never played for the National Team together. Cannot say how good obviously. But such stuff can help to find solutions. And it's in the interest of everyone to integrate Bichsel into the national team. Fischer, the team, Swiss ice hockey and Bichsel himself.

Reactions: SwissFan12

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Roster for tonight:

Berra (Genoni)

Siegenthaler - Loeffel
Aebischer - Fora
Jung - Egli
Geisser - Baragano

Kurashev - Hischier - Thürkauf
Ambühl - Haas - Moy
Herzog - Senteler - Simion