Switching to intermediate sticks?

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I'm 6'1, 160 pounds. I usually buy senior, 87 flex but I find they're way too stiff. Add in the fact that I cut them down enough that they end up being over 100, and shorter than intermediates I think I should start buying those. I'm not the strongest and although I have a decent snapper with the high flex, I'm pretty sure with a 65 or 75 flex I could be ripping them.

Does anybody do this? I was looking at buying something like a reebok 6k for 70 bucks to try it.

Pog Form

Jan 9, 2009
Toronto, ON
Try it out!

I am 6'2 about 190-195 lbs. I use a senior stick (75 flex) and add a 3" wood plug (I like a long stick) which brings the flex down to about 67 or so, approximately. Like you I'm not the strongest, so having the stick do a lot of the work for me helps my shot out quite a bit.

CGNY87

Jan 7, 2011
NY
you can find a few seniors that are like 77 flex. Im 6'0 about 175-180 and use a Bauer 77 Flex with a little less than 2 inches cut off, the flex comes to mid-high 80s.

I know a few companies offer the lower flex, but at least around here they are harder to find. Took me a good month to find a LHS with the 77 flex and correct blade pattern.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
you can find a few seniors that are like 77 flex. Im 6'0 about 175-180 and use a Bauer 77 Flex with a little less than 2 inches cut off, the flex comes to mid-high 80s.

I know a few companies offer the lower flex, but at least around here they are harder to find. Took me a good month to find a LHS with the 77 flex and correct blade pattern.

The problem is I like a short stick, so I cut off quite a bit more than 2 inches. Plus I would like to try something lower like 65-75 before I try mid 80.

BadHammy*

I'm 6'1, 160 pounds. I usually buy senior, 87 flex but I find they're way too stiff. Add in the fact that I cut them down enough that they end up being over 100, and shorter than intermediates I think I should start buying those. I'm not the strongest and although I have a decent snapper with the high flex, I'm pretty sure with a 65 or 75 flex I could be ripping them.

Does anybody do this? I was looking at buying something like a reebok 6k for 70 bucks to try it.

Just an idea... try a longer stick? At your size, a normal, uncut stick will come up to maybe your chin on skates, which is a really good all around length. It'd also solve your flex issue.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
I have for years, not a fan of it. I mean it's ok but I just like being able to stickhandle a little quicker in tight. I usually cut it to around my collar bone or a bit longer.

Ron Jovi

Jun 25, 2008
DC
hey, i'm 5'11-170 & i have been using a vapor 25/67 flex with a 2inch wood plug. Its been great overall. fantastic snapers/wristers. i've made an adjustment on my slapshot wind up (shorter backswing).
the only negative would be on 1 timers. i don't get to practice them at all & i find the lower flex twisting a bit & throwing off timing.

Last edited:

BadHammy*

hey, i'm 5'11-170 & i have been using a vapor 25/67 flex. Its been great overall. fantastic snapers/wristers. i've made an adjustment on my slapshot wind up (shorter backswing).
the only negative would be on 1 timers. i don't get to practice them at all & i find the lower flex twisting a bit & throwing off timing.

Good point! I also strongly dislike whippy sticks for receiving passes, I can't quite explain why but it just feels wrong.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
Awesome, that's great because I'm not much of a shooter on our PP. I'll let you guys know how it goes in a few days

Cattman

Laughing Skulls HC
Jul 23, 2010
Lusby, MD
An uncut intermediate stick is the same size as my cut down adult stick. So, I switched. I like the lower flex.

duul

Jun 21, 2010
So I ended up buying a 65 flex easton s5 Iginla curve (75 bucks) and I think I like it. My shot is definitely better, but when receiving passes it feels like the stick is going to shatter hahaha, and making passes it feels like it's going to break also. Other than that I think it's an improvement over what I had been doing..and it's a pretty crappy cheap stick so I'm thinking of buying maybe a one95 somewhere.

berzark

Nov 3, 2010
my friend keeps telling me int sticks are for kids, since I'm 20 I should be using senior sticks. He says they break more easily.

Thing is.. I'm 5'11 140 lbs and have small hands. Thinking of buying a 70 flex int stick. Currently using a 77 cut to my shoulders on skates, so more like an 85-90.

HolyRollie

Apr 10, 2011
Boston, MA
Good point! I also strongly dislike whippy sticks for receiving passes, I can't quite explain why but it just feels wrong.

Same here. I lean on my stick a lot when I pass and shoot. I had a One90 a few years back that was a lower flex (probably around 90 after I cut it) that I literally could not pass with. Every pass was flopping or inaccurate. I couldn't stand the stick flexing so much when I sent/received passes so I retired it and went back to my stiffer sticks.

Ribosome

Nov 29, 2008
Boston
my friend keeps telling me int sticks are for kids, since I'm 20 I should be using senior sticks. He says they break more easily.

Thing is.. I'm 5'11 140 lbs and have small hands. Thinking of buying a 70 flex int stick. Currently using a 77 cut to my shoulders on skates, so more like an 85-90.

Your friend is an idiot. There are a number of pros that use int sticks. I've been using int sticks for awhile and will never ever go back to senior.

jorbjorb

hello.
Dec 28, 2010
tried an easton intermediate. i'm 150 lbs 5'8 and it was too whippy. I get my shot power from a sleightly stiffer flex like 85 to generate a bit more power. again if its too stiff than its useless if you can't flex it. 85 flex is perfect for me.

Sean87

Mar 29, 2011
If you want an 85 flex after you have cut it, easton sticks may be an option for you. You have to cut the sticks down a good amount to make it an 85 flex.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad