Switching from RW to LW

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Never having played hockey, (although now an expert on most things hockey :sarcasm:) I am wondering how hard is it to switch wings from one side to the other? I know there are many right shots playing LW (Ovi comes to mind)and vice versa. With better RW's than LW, (not counting Bread) and with Abramov aspiring to move up, it seems to me someone needs to switch.

Guys who play/have played what's the deal?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If you're on your off-side (a right-shot LW or left-shot RW), it just takes an extra split second to switch the puck from your backhand to forehand, presuming you pick the puck up on the side wall. You have to turn to face the middle of the ice to make a pass or shot. That split second just isn't available to most guys, unfortunately, the game is so tight. Someone is on you so you end up having to try to make a play on your backhand, or blindly with your back to the middle of the ice. That's why most players play left-shot LW or right-shot RW, because you can make a forehand play even when someone is covering you closely.

So fast players who have more time when they get to the puck, and nimble players who can turn quicker, are the guys you will be more likely to see on their "off-side". Panarin is a good example. If you can pull it off then it's actually a plus because you are more open to the net / a better angle to shoot from.

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Thanks major. Do you think any of our guys could make the switch?

major major

Feb 18, 2013
Thanks major. Do you think any of our guys could make the switch?

Fast guys will have more time to make a play. I'm guessing Anderson is the best bet then to play his off-side. You'd want Bjorkstrand on his off-side to have a better angle to make use of his shot (his one-timer side), but he isn't going to have time to get the puck on to his forehand when he's coming off the wall.

Another way to think about it - which players do you see "having space"? Anderson frequently does, Bjorkstrand doesn't.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137

Bjorkstrand is way too good on his strong side. He can't make that shot on the otherside, the angle just isn't there.

Reactions: CBJFan827

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
If youre RH playing LW you have the option to cut back to the middle on your forehand which can open up a lot of opportunities. Coming in on the right side youre limited. Im my rec league days I played RW as a RH shot because I didnt start skating until i was an adult and the feet were pretty set in what they were willing to do lol, so unfortunately I could only really turn left which kept me from playing LW and being able to cut right to the middle

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Although some of the games best one timers come from guys playing on their offhand.. those guys are consistently 30G scorers playing on their offhand, it's really just a comfort thing. Some guys feel more at home on one side where as some guys are gonna score wherever you put them on the ice (Panarin)

Maybe if Panarin leaves Olli should switch to the left side...(I know his specialty is his wrist shot, not his slapper.)

Reactions: cslebn

blahblah

Nov 24, 2005
I prefer off-wing, I feel like I have a lot more options with the puck. Those here have had great input, not too much more to say. I can't imagine that it would be a easy or desirable transition for most players.

Reactions: WubbaLubbaDubDub

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
Benefits (from what I can remember from many moons ago), better shooting angle and ability to "one time" pucks.

Negatives: Passes come off the backhand more often than not unless one "cheats" and it's rare to find a player who can pass with anywhere near the velocity or accuracy on the backhand as they can on their forehand.

IMO the type of player who would be the best candidate for going off wing would be a player who is more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. Jenner and Anderson come to mind on this roster. Probably Milano as well.

Last edited:

EspenK

Sep 25, 2011
Benefits (from what I can remember from many moons ago), better shooting angle and ability to "one time" pucks.

Negatives: Passes come off the backhand and it's rare to find a player who can pass with anywhere near the velocity that they can on the forehand.

IMO the type of player who would be the best candidate for going off wing would be a player who is more of a goal scorer than a playmaker. Also a player who skates/cuts better going clockwise. Jenner and Anderson come to mind on this roster. Probably Milano as well.

So Anderson would be your choice to go from RW to LW since the other 2 are LW's?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad