Switzerland: Swiss players going to NHL after the WC in Stockholm/Helsinki

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I felt worth opening a thread on the players that attracted their attention during this WC.

So we know that Moser was already invited by the predators for the pre-season camp.
I read nothing official ... so far.

Interest for Suri, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Hollenstein, Gerber (doubtfull), ... any other under the spotlights ?

any other news ? or hard fact news ?

The Noot

scaldin ur d00dz
Apr 12, 2012
Zurich
I felt worth opening a thread on the players that attracted their attention during this WC.

So we know that Moser was already invited by the predators for the pre-season camp.
I read nothing official ... so far.

Interest for Suri, :eek::eek::eek::eek:i, Hollenstein, Gerber (doubtfull), ... any other under the spotlights ?

any other news ? or hard fact news ?

Gerber could serve as a backup in a mentoring role for a young starter without experience (Tampa could work out, still unlikely)

Moser is definitely attending the wrong team's training camp. The Preds already have a stockpile of players like him, but if he can get a chance at another team he'll probably make it.

I doubt that :eek::eek::eek::eek:i will make it into the NHL. His game is made for the big ice and I believe that he could be overwhelmed by the physicality of the NHL.

Hollenstein could work out as a solid 3rd liner with 2nd line potential if he can adapt without any problems.

And Suri... well, I couldn't really see it before the WC and I still have my doubts. He has a great shot, good hands and his hockey IQ seems to be rather high. That's enough to be a dangerous scorer in the NLA and to be a force (with the right linemates) at the WC, but is it enough to play on the smaller ice with bigger and more skilled opponents? I still doubt it, but I happily eat crow if he manages to get it done.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
And Suri... well, I couldn't really see it before the WC and I still have my doubts. He has a great shot, good hands and his hockey IQ seems to be rather high. That's enough to be a dangerous scorer in the NLA and to be a force (with the right linemates) at the WC, but is it enough to play on the smaller ice with bigger and more skilled opponents? I still doubt it, but I happily eat crow if he manages to get it done.

To tell you the truth, i was impressed by Suri. His attitude in front of the goal is just amazing. The way he handles it. I was impressed the way he scored the empty netter ... i know it sound ridiculous ... but i was impressed by the concentration he acted with.

He has great scoring abilities. Maybe too young for the NHL ... for physical reasons. But he definitely seems to have an edge in thinking quickly.

ozo

Feb 24, 2010
Would be a shame if a lot of talant left NLA for fringe roles in NHL. Also any rumours of Yannick Weber returning home, looks like his stay with Mtl could be over.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
I'm quite sure Weber gets no qualifying offer from the Habs, but I think there is a market for him and he could get another contract elsewhere.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
I'm quite sure Weber gets no qualifying offer from the Habs, but I think there is a market for him and he could get another contract elsewhere.

I sincerely hope so.

I remember back the time where he was playing at the Kitchener Rangers ... with Subban. Both were shoulder to shoulder ... and the question would be : who would be the best. At the time, he even won the contest of fastest shot on a NA level for juniors.

Then suddenly, Subban started exploding while Weber started "imploding".
In spite of him still scoring and pointing ! He always remained a force on the PP.
He was used as a forward ... as a Defense. He never could really settle down.

Hopefully he will get another opportunity in the NHL. Certainly another more stable team would do him good and allow him to finally blossom.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
Suri is going ... in 2014-2015 ! to Tampa bay or their farm team.

i don't know what to think about this contract.

Selling his rights for a potential AHL contract (2 ways)

i personnaly liked a lot Suri. Great composure in front of a goal. A real scorer.

Smart to stay one more year in Switzerland ... to bulck up.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
He has to sign an Entry-Level-Contract and an ELC is two-way, there is no way round that.

And the swiss media got it wrong, he signed a one-year contract for 2013/2014, but he'll stay in Switzerland. So either the Bolts can postpone this contract for one year or they'll meet again next spring and talk about a new contract.

torero

Oct 5, 2007
West Sussex
www.scb.ch
He has to sign an Entry-Level-Contract and an ELC is two-way, there is no way round that.

And the swiss media got it wrong, he signed a one-year contract for 2013/2014, but he'll stay in Switzerland. So either the Bolts can postpone this contract for one year or they'll meet again next spring and talk about a new contract.

ahhh . ok ... so essentialy they secured their rights on Suri for when he decides to step over the Atlantic ?

tks

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
Exactly. They wanted him this year but he felt he needed another year which is fine in my opinion. Another year in Switzerland getting first line minutes, PP and PK, playing maybe in Sotchi, playing surley another WC, it'll surley help him. And if he continues to play so I'm sure they meet again next spring and sign another contract.

koh19

May 19, 2006
Fribourg
According to today's edition of my local Swiss newspaper, only 2 teams (Tampa Bay and Edmonton) inquired about Suri and talked to him.

Tampa Bay were the only ones that were really willing to "go after" him, even if that meant waiting a year. Apparently, according to Tampa's management, Suri is part of the "future" plan of the Lightning. Then again, I'm guessing they tell that to every player they sign.

I honestly think it's a pretty good decision Suri made. Playing another year in the NLA and playing in a top team and having a huge role is the way to go. He needs to get stronger and pack on some muscle though. He's a pretty physical player already so that's good for his future NA career. Also, if he manages to make the Olympic team and have a really good tournament, then he'll have a great shot at making the Lightning squad in 2014/15.

jonas2244

Jan 4, 2010
:eek::eek::eek::eek:i seems to get heavily scouted. 6 NHL-scouts watched the last game of the ZSC-Lions.

I'm pretty sure he gets another chance to show himself in Sotchi.

chokei

Dec 31, 2011
Zürich
:eek::eek::eek::eek:i seems to get heavily scouted. 6 NHL-scouts watched the last game of the ZSC-Lions.

I'm pretty sure he gets another chance to show himself in Sotchi.

5 point night for him yesterday. 2 goals and 3 primary assists. If he stays healthy he will be huge for Switzerland in Sotchi. Not sure if he's made for the NA game though.

... looking at the discussion in this thread today; after all the euphoria, except Moser, no players from that team went to north america (yet). I don't think the Berra trade had much to do with his performance at the WC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad