Swimming - Events Jul 24th-Aug 1st

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
Honest question. Is there any canadien men swimmer at the Olympic? I have not seen one yet...

They only have about 8-9 guys. Not many athletes able to make the time standards to qualify for the team, so they’re pretty thin outside of sprint freestyle and backstroke.

McOilers97

Jan 10, 2012
I feel like that’s weird, why would you have to do it for 2 strokes but not all 4

Because freestyle and backstroke the arms alternate, so touching with 2 hands would make no sense, while breaststroke and butterfly, the arms are synchronized.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
When you turn, how long can you be underwater for? Like could you conceivably swim half way back underwater?

Bures Elbow

Nov 2, 2013
When you turn, how long can you be underwater for? Like could you conceivably swim half way back underwater?
No, you got 15 feet I think, the red markers show the boundary where swimmers have to surface near each end of the pool.

Reactions: GKJ

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
No, there are markings. A couple of years back you'd see guys diving almost half the pool because it was quicker, but they decided it was against the rules.

Reactions: GKJ

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
This has been a pretty terrible Olympics all around for the Americans so far. Dressel the only superstar who hasn’t failed to deliver so far.

Fighter

Jan 1, 2004
Trieste, Italy
No, there are markings. A couple of years back you'd see guys diving almost half the pool because it was quicker, but they decided it was against the rules.

Do you remember Denis Pankratov's butterfly? They changed the rules because of him and he disappeared from the radars :laugh:

Reactions: Daisy Jane

Eisen

Sep 30, 2009
Duesseldorf
Do you remember Denis Pankratov's butterfly? They changed the rules because of him and he disappeared from the radars :laugh:
Yup, it was diving followed by two strokes.^^ Can't blame him, though, it was legit back then it just reduced the whole stroke thing to a mockery. He still made the olympic finals in Sydney, just not as good.

Last edited:

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
This has been a pretty terrible Olympics all around for the Americans so far. Dressel the only superstar who hasn’t failed to deliver so far.

They are still going to win 20 something medals. They won 31 or 32 in 2008/2012/2016. Keep in mind though the 2016 world field was extremely weak. The American team this year may be more talented than 2016 but there is just an absurd amount of good swimmers in this particular olympics. The 2016 team managed to sneak their way to a bunch of bronze medals that most other years they'd never win

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
They are still going to win 20 something medals. They won 31 or 32 in 2008/2012/2016. Keep in mind though the 2016 world field was extremely weak. The American team this year may be more talented than 2016 but there is just an absurd amount of good swimmers in this particular olympics. The 2016 team managed to sneak their way to a bunch of bronze medals that most other years they'd never win

I’m talking about all events, not only Swimming. I think the lack of fans hurts us. Having these finals in the morning is also ridiculous.

SensBrawler

Jun 24, 2013
Feel bad for Penny. Breaks the Canadian Record and finishes 4th by seven hundredths of a second. That's two fourths in two nights.

Great race though. Amazing times all around.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
Feel bad for Penny. Breaks the Canadian Record and finishes 4th by seven hundredths of a second. That's two fourths in two nights.

what's nuts - all 5 of the times this olympics are faster than most of the times in this event in Rio.

this pool is stupid fast.

Reactions: Pink Mist

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto

My mother’s family is from Hong Kong so I also rooted for Haughey who swam great for silver. Really hope Penny breaks that medal record in the 4x100 what an achievement that would be for this young lady

Last edited:
Reactions: SensBrawler

Maestro84

May 3, 2018
Toronto
Canada should be loaded for the 4x100 if everyone comes. You have Penny for freestyle, Masse for backstroke and Maggie for butterfly (stick someone in for breast stroke). If this is the group they send, they have a great shot at gold

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->