Management Sweeney: "We're Looking to Make Changes" - III

Status
Not open for further replies.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

That’s interesting. Subban is mentioned, but I’d have to check the math on that.

But we are talking about Wagner right? Regardless of contract, he’s... Chris Wagner. Like I dig the guy, but to attest that he won’t be dealt because of when he signed his deal? I don’t know... he’s Chris Wagner, man. :dunno:

He’s the Mayor of Walpole. You can’t trade him, man

Was Subban about to become a UFA? I thought he was an RFA and was about to go to arbitration before him and the Habs cut a massive deal.

I know he's Chris Wagner. It's not like fellow GMs are beating on Sweeney's door to trade him to them, nor would he be the deal-breaker in some other trade. You can't even say trade him for cap space, because if he's dealt someone with a salary in the same ball-park will be taking his roster spot.

You don't see UFA guys who were extended traded because if you think about it it's really a bad look for a GM IMO. You convince a guy you want him here and commit to him, then a few months later he's dealt before the ink is dry on his new deal. I know it's a business but it's also a bit two-faced. Have fun dealing with that player's agent on future contracts. That GM's credibility is shot now with that agent and probably other agents. These are people were dealing with first and foremost, like most businesses now, it's all about relationship building, and that includes between GMs and agencies.

Skelen

Jan 5, 2015
What would you do if you were Sweeney? I can see it both ways.

Wouldn't the point of trading for someone like Eichel be to play him with Pastrnak? If that's the case, who replaces McAvoy? Would the Bruins have enough cap space for a Pietrangelo?

If the Bruins are confident in signing DeBrusk to a sub $4M deal and think he is a lot better than what he has shown and that Eichel could bring out the best of him, maybe including Pastrnak in the deal makes sense.

I hope the Bruins could get Eichel for a few quarters some dimes and some nickels, but if I had to choose, what's easier to replace, a #1D, #1C, or a #1W? As much as I like Pastrnak, it will always be the winger.

Pasta isn't just some winger though, he just tied with the greatest goal scorer the league has ever seen in goals this season. Kid signs a huge team friendly deal and plays through it all, that's not someone you just try to replace. I get Eichel is a stud but so is Pasta and I think the edge goes to Pasta pretty easily in this case considering contract, leadership and overall skill. AND they would want an add on top of that (McAvoy/Carlo/picks/etc.) No chance

The don godfather

Jul 5, 2018
Woodbridge Ontario
Promote studnicka in top 6. Sign hall trade moore for 7th round pick.Promote zboril. Keep carlo. Sign ryan for depth. Somehow trade nick Ritchie for a 2nd round pick . Bjork for jessie p. Trade kase and Clifton for virtanen. Trade debrusk for hannifin.

774EVER

& Now 374EVER
I'm ready for an out with the old in with the new type of deal to reload the franchise. Along the lines of:

Oates, Bill Ranford and Rick Tocchet for Jim Carey, Anson Carter, Jason Allison. Sure this didn't work out perfectly, especially Carey, but the Bruins were able to trade out players before they lost all their value. It was clear they wanted to get younger.

What does a Mega Deal of Krejci, Marchand and Rask get the B's?? (Just for fun ;))

Reactions: bbfan419

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I just saw something (unsure of validity) calling out Bruins specifically as interested in Ryan. Bout only new thing I’ve seen.

He would be a good/cheap sign... if he can prove he can be healthy

imagine if he went on the injured list after a month. That would be gross

Imo he has been injured too often/too long. Like Millar. I would pass

Its rare guys comeback having healthy careers after

Johnny4778

Jan 26, 2006
Find me one example of an established NHL player who was about to be a UFA, but was extended by his own team during the final season of his current contract, but was traded during the off-season before his new contract kicked in.
...Signed on a Saturday during a leap year?

Reactions: Gordoff

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008
Find me one example of an established NHL player who was about to be a UFA, but was extended by his own team during the final season of his current contract, but was traded during the off-season before his new contract kicked in.
If a trade gets nixed because Sweeney doesn't wanna lose face by trading Chris Wagner, Sweeney shouldn't be GM anymore...

That said Wagner likely isn't the big piece that's gonna sway any deal, but if the other team insists in order to make the deal happen, he's not nor should be a deal stopper, regardless if the ink on his extension has dried.

That mentality applies to any situation that makes the Bruins better afterwards. It just doesn't happen often.

Reactions: maxl7 and bbfan419

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
If a trade gets nixed because Sweeney doesn't wanna lose face by trading Chris Wagner, Sweeney shouldn't be GM anymore...

That said Wagner likely isn't the big piece that's gonna sway any deal, but if the other team insists in order to make the deal happen, he's not nor should be a deal stopper, regardless if the ink on his extension has dried.

That mentality applies to any situation that makes the Bruins better afterwards. It just doesn't happen often.

It doesn't happen ever. When we are talking trades, these are people lives, and relationships matter in business, players aren't just "assets". Sure tough decisions are made and need to be made. But ruthlessness like your suggesting won't get any GM very far. The hockey business is a pretty small world, burn enough bridges and it will be pretty hard to be successful.

Memokerobi

May 4, 2018
Craig Smith isn't a top 6 forward.

He's an older, declining version of Heinen. I hope the Bruins have zero interest in him. He's not what they need.

Heinen past 3 seasons: 221 games 37 goals
Smith past 3 seasons: 225 games 64 goals

Heinen’s career best goals in a season is 16

Smith scored more than 16 in 6 of the past 7 seasons.

Would I be comfortable with Smith as our answer to our top 6 winger problem? No

But I would be much more confident in a

Marchand-Bergerond-Smith
or
DeBrusk-Krejci-Smith

line compared to those lines with Heinen

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Craig Smith would be a good scoring option for the third line, someone to pair up with Coyle and give him someone who has the ability to score goals, something the team is in desperate need of.

I like the idea of a checking line of Charlie Coyle and Craig Smith but that means the Bruins aren't convinced Stud is ready, that they feel Senyshyn is still a long shot, and Kulhman just isn't cutting it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad