Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Utter nonsense.

Perhaps it is nonsense, but it certainly felt that way. They almost never went all in with the free agents, did they? It was always penny-wise pound-foolish for Harry Sinden. I don't believe that they didn't want to win and were content just to get in the playoffs, but believe at the same time that they cheaped out when they could. I remember when they had a chance to sign Keith Tkachuk when he was still good. What was Tkachuk's quote? "Harry won't pay." So while I am sure Harry wanted Cups, they were a bit tight-fisted when some spending might have put them over the top in some of those years.

Last edited:

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Perhaps it is nonsense, but it certainly felt that way. They almost never went all in with the free agents, did they? It was always penny-wise pound-foolish for Harry Sinden. I don't believe that they didn't want to win and were content just to get in the playoffs, but believe at the same time that they cheaped out when they could. I remember when they had a chance to sign Keith Tkachuk when he was still good. What was Tkachuk's quoute? "Harry won't pay." So while I am sure Harry wanted Cups, they were a bit tight-fisted when some spending might have put them over the top in some of those years.

Who did Tkachuk sign with?

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Who did Tkachuk sign with?

St. Louis, of course. Just using him as an example of what was kind of the vibe around the team at the time. Do you think that Sinden was free with his salaries and always went all out to get the best guys he could to build a winner?

EDIT: It may have been when he re-signed with Phoenix. It's been a few years.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
St. Louis, of course. Just using him as an example of what was kind of the vibe around the team at the time. Do you think that Sinden was free with his salaries and always went all out to get the best guys he could to build a winner?

EDIT: I actually think he was when he re-signed with Phoenix. It's been a few years.

He certainly wasn't free with salaries. He never wanted to overpay.

But I think he was always trying to get the players that best fit his teams.

Was Sinden even the GM when Tkachuk was available?

Fenian24

Jun 14, 2010
Yes, he got "sacked" (i.e. got the 'senior advisor' role) after the 96-97 season or thereabouts.
Which wasn't because of years of not winning a cup but because of terrible attendance.
One big free agent signing, Kevin Steven's, other than that yearly holdouts, ( Steven's may have been a trade now that I think about it)telling players to learn to yodel and throwing around nickels like manhole covers.

If I was given an objective from my Boss and failed to do it in 10 years, never mind 30, I would be gone. So if JJ didn't can Harry for not winning a cup but did for poor attendance I wonder what the real mission statement was from Monty Burns?

Reactions: Gordoff

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Which wasn't because of years of not winning a cup but because of terrible attendance.
One big free agent signing, Kevin Steven's, other than that yearly holdouts, ( Steven's may have been a trade now that I think about it)telling players to learn to yodel and throwing around nickels like manhole covers.

If I was given an objective from my Boss and failed to do it in 10 years, never mind 30, I would be gone. So if JJ didn't can Harry for not winning a cup but did for poor attendance I wonder what the real mission statement was from Monty Burns?

And isn't that what we've always suspected, that it wasn't Harry, but JJ that was the real culprit? So long as his balance sheet was positive, he was happy? But Harry's name was on the door, so he gets all the "credit"

Coach Parker

Stanley Cup Champion
Jun 22, 2008
Vancouver, B.C.
Gryz and debrusk take up what 6 mil of that minimum? Chara 2? That's not counting the 1.9 overage either so that's 9.9 right there and cap friendly shows 14.4 under.....factor in the Covid issue with not spending to the cap and I don't see it.

I don't see Chara back and one of DeBrusk and Gyzelcyk being moved. 1.9 overage is counted into total before the 14.4 so that is not being subtracted from that. Same goes for 1.5 to Backes.

since76

Jul 14, 2005
Quebec
I want big changes but i have serious fears on sweeny
He is great for extension contracts but for draft or trade he is just awful as hell...
Seguin, hamilton, lucic, 2015...for 125 third and fourth liners
I am excited and afraid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad