Sportsnet Sweeney - I'm not trading our young players

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
From Elliotte Friedman

Don’t expect Boston to move young players

25. Bruins GM Don Sweeney told a great story about his own career in reference to Zdeno Chara partnering with Dougie Hamilton, Brandon Carlo and Charlie McAvoy when all were teenagers.

“My first year out of Harvard, they put me with Raymond Bourque,” Sweeney, who was 21 at the time, said last weekend. “Harry Sinden pulled me aside and said, ‘You can’t just give the puck to Ray all the time — you have to see what plays are available.’ It was the most comfortable thing for me and it was never a bad play to give it to Ray. But teams game-plan for that, and they were worried I was going to get him killed. He was such a great teammate and person because we’d get to the bench and he’d explain what else was out there and what I could do. Later, when they put me back with him as a shutdown pair, I was ready. Zdeno is the same way.”

Sweeney re-iterated the plan is to re-sign Chara and added that of the three teenagers, McAvoy is the most advanced at his age.

26. There are rumours the Bruins have told teams they are not trading their best young players and prospects.

“It is true that we aren’t interested in moving young players who are impacting our lineup. We know what other teams want, and it’s a painful list to part with.”

sarge88

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2003
When he says “impacting our lineup” I take that to mean only the guys currently with the Bruins.

Doesn’t mean he won’t move guys in Providence or elsewhere.

Reactions: TCB

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
When he says “impacting our lineup” I take that to mean only the guys currently with the Bruins.

yes...i read that the same way. maybe a guy like o'gara or cehlarik ends up moving along, depending on what they try to acquire.

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
yes...i read that the same way. maybe a guy like o'gara or cehlarik ends up moving along, depending on what they try to acquire.

Or Vatrano.

I can easily see him try to package Vatrano + a pick (not a 1st rounder) to bring in a rental.

BadBruins

Aug 10, 2005
PEI
I agree. To me that says McAvoy (duh), Pastrnak (duh), Heinen, DeBrusk, Carlo, and probably Grzelyck + Bjork too. I don't think that's unusual though. How many big deadline deals do you see that actually involve contributing young assets?

ORRMAN

Dec 3, 2008
Sweeney continues to impress me. No panic in this guy. The Cassidy move was fabulous and not trading away guys like Heinen and DeBrusk ++ for Duschene. Perfect. I have been a supporter starting with the Hamilton move. Many detractors who have gone quiet. Successfully rebuilding on the fly. A lot of teams missed on Barzal (he looks like NYI's best player, already); imagine Barzal centering the third line? Overall grade: A-.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC

That`s how I interpreted his comments too and I have little issue with it

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Sweeney continues to impress me. No panic in this guy. The Cassidy move was fabulous and not trading away guys like Heinen and DeBrusk ++ for Duschene. Perfect. I have been a supporter starting with the Hamilton move. Many detractors who have gone quiet. Successfully rebuilding on the fly. A lot of teams missed on Barzal (he looks like NYI's best player, already); imagine Barzal centering the third line? Overall grade: A-.

As you pointed out a lot of teams missed on Barzal.

I'm am more miffed that they passed on Colin White.

2015 NHL Entry Draft - Wikipedia

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Honestly, how many playoff teams trade away players who are impacting their lineup? Young or old, it's just not done.

Yet every year, GM's float the rumor that to get my pending UFA it's going to cost your best young NHL player.

And every year those GMs don't come close to that type of return.

Look at what Vanek brought back in 2014, or what Shattenkirk got last year. Even the reported offers on Eriksson as a rental weren't anywhere close to another teams best young players.

Fact is, rental UFAs, even good ones, don't cost that much anymore in the grand scheme of things.

Reactions: bbfan419

patty59

Apr 6, 2008
Lethbridge, Alberta
Oh wow, Sweeney doesn't want to trade his young guys, I'm in complete shock.

I somewhat agree with him here, but there comes a point when he's going to have to move some of those guys and I think he should do it before they turn out to be nothing more than a plug (Vatrano) or become waiver eligible and lose them that way (Subban).

By now they should have a pretty good idea of who they want to keep and who they can live without and he should be looking to get value out of the guys that aren't in the longterm plans.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
yup, vatrano too. figure he's as good as gone.

Yeah, but realistically what can you expect him to return? His value has to be next to nothing given how far he's fallen, no? I've got no issues moving the guy, but it's going to be interesting to see what kind of additional asset(s) they'll have to include to get anything of value back.

neelynugs

Feb 27, 2002
Yeah, but realistically what can you expect him to return? His value has to be next to nothing given how far he's fallen, no? I've got no issues moving the guy, but it's going to be interesting to see what kind of additional asset(s) they'll have to include to get anything of value back.

i think max he's worth a 3rd round pick or a rental player. i don't see vatrano in their plans going forward,
so maybe you replace him with someone better equipped to help them now...or move him somewhere for
a pick or maybe a guy with AHL options. or a sweetener in a bigger deal.

Mr Cartmenez

May 15, 2009
Mannheim
I have faith in Sweeney and it's pretty much a given at this point that he won't overpay for a quick fix. If he didn't panic over the last few years, he certainly won't this year when he gets praised for this team and prospects.

I think we are best suited for a 4 quarters for a dollar deal. The depth is there to warrant such a move. No names in mind, just that Sweeney could and frankly should at the opporunity if it comes along...maybe with the Sens.

RedeyeRocketeer

Jan 11, 2012
Canada
It's way more important to not trade them, and then waive them like Subban, lol.

Look I also want him to be patient. But honestly at this point between our 1st, our 2nd, and some players in the P, we have the ammo. Use it even if it's for something like moving up in the draft. But do something with it.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Letting assets whither and die on the vine sucks. Even if we trade 3 nice kids for 1 very nice kid my vote is to do something

I think step 1 is to identify your keepers and i think weve come close to that

Teir 1 just cant be moved
Pastrnak is young enough i count him
Heinen has really looked too good to move
Mcavoy on blueline screams building block

In tier 2 are guys im sure other teams value
Our first round pick
Brandon carlo
Jake debrusk

I think one of these assets as the start of a trade to get something special back might make sense

Tier 3... nhl potential that has value
Bjork
Donato
Jfk
Frederik
Vaantanan
Shenshyn
Lingren
Zboril
Grezlyk
Cehlerik

This is where theres too many names and i truely fear some of these guys are more valuable as trade assets for the right return

Then theres the guys like

Vatrano
Ogara
Lauzaron
Czarik
Gabrielle
Khoklachev

Who may already have less value now then they had last year. I cant say for certain they had value last year but if these guys stall in development they soon become waiver wire fodded

No more malcolm subbans please. If these kids are likely to have a chance here then go ahead and hoard them... but simple math reality says some will get boxed out

This is a position of strength. Trades should be made from a position of strength

Tampbear

Apr 10, 2015
Tampa
Malcolm Subban wasn't lost because we couldn't clear a spot for him but because injuries hurt his development and we couldn't be sure of him. I would like to use assets to move up in the draft and get higher end guys in the pipeline if anything when the time comes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad