Boston Bruins Sweeney gambled on the kids and it's paying off

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
A smart student completes the assignment correctly, a gifted student asks why the assignment is given in the first place, finishes it, and gives you specific things to change and work on.

Look deeper than just what is said in black and white.

To the gifted student, it was obvious exactly how Sweeney felt about the seguin trade, all one needs to do is look deeper and ask the "essential questions" as they are called

Now that Horton is gone though I personally wouldn't have a problem bringing seguin back, don't think he significantly helps the team for the cap hit he would demand though
Why does Horton have to be gone to bring Seguin back?

Habs killer

Jan 31, 2007
somerville
did we ever know exactly what talks took place between the canes and the B's in regards to Hanifan? I have never seen any sources citing exactly what was offered, I was always curious about this

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I just don’t agree with it being called a gamble. Every thing he has done has seemed concise and thought out. Gamble comes across as rolling the dice and hoping for the besr.

:huh:

You don't think the draft is a gamble? The entire draft classes of 2009, 2008 and 2007 failed. That's 17 draft picks, one 8th overall, one 16th overall and one 25th overall. You'd think that given the odds, they would have hit on one of those 17 picks, even if it was by accident. I know those are not Sweeney's picks I just bring it up as an example of the draft being a gamble.

IMO, Sweeney gambled big when he decided to start dealing core players for draft picks. And honestly, I get the frustration people had, pulling the plug on that group of players and punting the "win now" window to some later date to be determined by draft picks coming of age and actually becoming good players.

In that regard, I think Sweeney's gamble has paid off tremendously well and he deserves credit for it.

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
With games in hand and the Bruins playing their best hockey after the Thanksgiving break, I could see the Bruins chasing TOR for 2nd in the division. They really need to focus on piling on the Wins at this stage. Every game should be considered crucial going forward.

You know why? I don't see any other teams falling that much.

And if NYI (who are currently 8th) make a trade for a goalie sooner than later, they could shoot up the standing like a rocket.

Bruins need to keep this up. If all goes well and they surpass TOR, they could end up in a very favorable position. If they do not, they will hover around 8th and that is a tough place to be (that being said I like 8th against Tampa a lot more than 7th against WAS!)
The playoffs haven't worked like that for a few years. They are pretty much locked in to play Toronto, unless one of them has a massive collapse.

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
:huh:

You don't think the draft is a gamble? The entire draft classes of 2009, 2008 and 2007 failed. That's 17 draft picks, one 8th overall, one 16th overall and one 25th overall. You'd think that given the odds, they would have hit on one of those 17 picks, even if it was by accident. I know those are not Sweeney's picks I just bring it up as an example of the draft being a gamble.

IMO, Sweeney gambled big when he decided to start dealing core players for draft picks. And honestly, I get the frustration people had, pulling the plug on that group of players and punting the "win now" window to some later date to be determined by draft picks coming of age and actually becoming good players.

In that regard, I think Sweeney's gamble has paid off tremendously well and he deserves credit for it.
I don’t really disagree with you. Just something about the word gamble to me.

Reactions: PlayMakers

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Sweeney interview was excellent

Planet of the Apes would be proud

I thought I was humble but this guy beats me

Listening on the radio seemed animated and forthcoming about lots of topics

The explanation of what they do with the kids in Providence was an interesting listen especially about Heinen, Zboril, and Senyshyn

Mazz did a good job

Last edited:

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
Boy do I hate Felger and Mazz sometimes but that Sweeney interview definitely made me feel so much more comfortable and confident with him at the helm. Love the emphasis on organizational depth and player development. It's my favorite part of hockey (aside from cups) and I think we have a very thoughtful leader at the helm.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I just don’t agree with it being called a gamble. Every thing he has done has seemed concise and thought out. Gamble comes across as rolling the dice and hoping for the besr.

Exactly. And I'll even go one step further than you on this. There are two ways to build in this league. Through free agency or through the draft. Given the cap troubles the team was in at the time he took over, what other option did they have other than drafting and hoping some of the kids turned out to be players? He the right approach because homegrown talent is always more cost effective than pricey UFAs. The rebuild (even if they never called it this) was the right thing to do. It seems to be paying off now, and looks like it will only get even better in the future. That's good on Sweeney for doing the unpopular but desperately needed rebuild.

Reactions: Donnie Shulzhoffer

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad