Boston Bruins Sweeney gambled on the kids and it's paying off

Agent86

Jun 20, 2010
Missed it by That Much
Win or lose this team is certainly more entertaining to watch than when we had guys like Hayes, Kemp, Talbot etc. Much rather see the kids blend in with core vets.

Also props to Dom for wanting the B's to draft Robert Thomas last draft, watched him last night for Canada in the pre tournament game against the Czechs and he looked awesome a faster version of Bergeron.

Kid has all the ingredients you want on your team. Besides the skill/ability he has on the ice he has oodles of character. Had the pleasure of playing golf with him this summer at the London Knights tournament and he is respectful, level headed, very competitive but gracious and you could see how the others on the team interacted with him - he is already a leader. Plus most of his drives were 320+ which doesn't hurt in a best ball event. I'm rooting for him.

Reactions: bbfan419

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Huge Gamble that the kids would pan out.

He was hoping for the best......Had McAvoy, Heinen and DeBrusk, Bjork, Kuraly and Gryz not been this good for say another year........Where would the team be ?

He rolled the dice that the kids would bail him out for his lack of trading for proven NHL talent for those positions. It took long enough but it has finally paid off. Now he needs to finish the job.
Where would you be if your parents never met ?

He had a plan it's working

You have any plans? Goals? Objectives?

Or are you a dice roller?

Everything you post has a 'luck' based result - is this how you 'roll'

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
First, they're a pretty good team.
I admit it.

They play in a soft division.
This helps immensely.

It would be nice if they could muster a win against the Washingtons of the world.

They're about where they should be, maybe a bit better. We'll see what happens.

We have a hockey season.

They have only played 5 inter-division games all season. Three of those five games were against Tampa and Toronto.

Son of Donegal

Stay-at-home defenseman with zero upside.
Aug 1, 2008
Maynard, MA
thomsonsafaris.com
With games in hand and the Bruins playing their best hockey after the Thanksgiving break, I could see the Bruins chasing TOR for 2nd in the division. They really need to focus on piling on the Wins at this stage. Every game should be considered crucial going forward.

You know why? I don't see any other teams falling that much.

And if NYI (who are currently 8th) make a trade for a goalie sooner than later, they could shoot up the standing like a rocket.

Bruins need to keep this up. If all goes well and they surpass TOR, they could end up in a very favorable position. If they do not, they will hover around 8th and that is a tough place to be (that being said I like 8th against Tampa a lot more than 7th against WAS!)

Reactions: bbfan419

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
Right now it's working and everybody is happy (as they should be) but let them lose 4-5 games in a row & the question will be what was Sweeney thinking going all in on a bunch of kids?

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Some guys I wish we would have drafted Barzal, Boeser, Thomas and Kyrou, but overall we have to be happy with the way some of these kids have panned out already with a boatload of prospects still in the system. I would though look for a prospects deal with the Blues try to get Thomas and Kyrou, I think offering up Trent Frederic as part of the deal going back could work, he is a local guy there is he not?

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Some guys I wish we would have drafted Barzal, Boeser, Thomas and Kyrou, but overall we have to be happy with the way some of these kids have panned out already with a boatload of prospects still in the system. I would though look for a prospects deal with the Blues try to get Thomas and Kyrou, I think offering up Trent Frederic as part of the deal going back could work, he is a local guy there is he not?
WHY NOT TRY Binnington, since he's already assigned to you on loan unless there's some plan to restock Goaltending prospects

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
Where would you be if your parents never met ?

He had a plan it's working

You have any plans? Goals? Objectives?

Or are you a dice roller?

Everything you post has a 'luck' based result - is this how you 'roll'
I would be accountable to the fans. He has not. I would not fire my coach in a cloud of Red Sock smoke. I would be more of a man then that i hope.

Lets see what Donnie does. Lets see what Pittsburgh does and LA and Chicago or teams that want to win the cup with their cup winning Nucleus.

Or does he walk in the room and tell Bergie and Chara sorry guys.....We are playing for 2020-2022 when your gone. We just dont think you are good enough to mortgage the future for at this time.

What are you gonna do Donnie.....????

BruinsFanSince94

The Perfect Fan ™
Sep 28, 2017
New England
I would be accountable to the fans. He has not. I would not fire my coach in a cloud of Red Sock smoke. I would be more of a man then that i hope.

Lets see what Donnie does. Lets see what Pittsburgh does and LA and Chicago or teams that want to win the cup with their cup winning Nucleus.

Or does he walk in the room and tell Bergie and Chara sorry guys.....We are playing for 2020-2022 when your gone. We just dont think you are good enough to mortgage the future for at this time.

Your shtick is beyond tiring.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

I'm not following the Bergeron mortgage the future part ?

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

Bergeron contract runs through 2022

Reactions: BruinsFanSince94

KnightofBoston

Mar 22, 2010
The Valley of Pioneers
I'd like to see a link where Sweeney said he didn't want to move him please. Thanks in advance.

A smart student completes the assignment correctly, a gifted student asks why the assignment is given in the first place, finishes it, and gives you specific things to change and work on.

Look deeper than just what is said in black and white.

To the gifted student, it was obvious exactly how Sweeney felt about the seguin trade, all one needs to do is look deeper and ask the "essential questions" as they are called

Now that Horton is gone though I personally wouldn't have a problem bringing seguin back, don't think he significantly helps the team for the cap hit he would demand though

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->