Boston Bruins Sweeney gambled on the kids and it's paying off

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
This team came together a month ago in Los Angeles and the future is looking good.

Beginning to re-emerge from their rebuild, the burgeoning Bruins are giving cause for hope this holiday season

Good teams win games they should, and that is just what the Bruins did on Tuesday night in Buffalo against the Sabres, 3-0. Backup goaltender Anton Khudobin reverted to his late November ways and carried his tired looking club for much of the night, on his way to his first shutout in a B’s uniform.

Coupled with an absolute thrashing of the sneaky good Columbus Blue Jackets at the TD Garden by the score of 7-2 on Monday night, the Bruins rebounded from their mini two-game losing streak to show that the momentum that they have built over the last month was not slowed by the speed bump in their schedule.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Can't really disagree with this article- it's looking good. I'm a Bruins fan, so I have a little closet in my mind that expects the wheels to come off at some point, but I'm trying to keep that door closed as tight as I can

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Can't really disagree with this article- it's looking good. I'm a Bruins fan, so I have a little closet in my mind that expects the wheels to come off at some point, but I'm trying to keep that door closed as tight as I can
It may come off temporarily but they will have plenty of spares and AAA+

Reactions: Dr Hook

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
First, they're a pretty good team.
I admit it.

They play in a soft division.
This helps immensely.

It would be nice if they could muster a win against the Washingtons of the world.

They're about where they should be, maybe a bit better. We'll see what happens.

We have a hockey season.

Reactions: Fenway

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I admit it.

This helps immensely.

It would be nice if they could muster a win against the Washingtons of the world.

We have a hockey season.

Like the Patriots the B's have no control of the division. I am really looking forward to the second half of season.

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Like the Patriots the B's have no control of the division. I am really looking forward to the second half of season.

Right, but it definitely has to play into the strategy.

If they were in the Metro, I'd say you just leave the team alone and let things play out.

The Atlantic sucks so you add a piece to this team IMO.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Right, but it definitely has to play into the strategy.

If they were in the Metro, I'd say you just leave the team alone and let things play out.

The Atlantic sucks so you add a piece to this team IMO.

Bruins are in a rare spot in today's NHL as if they make the playoffs their opponent will be most likely Toronto. Tampa most likely gets the 4th place team in the Metro which this year is not a great reward.

But before we get too far ahead of ourselves the B's have a lot of division games to play.

Colt.45Orr

Mar 23, 2003
Canada
I could not, for the life of me, understand the group of people here that wanted to bring back Drew Stafford this summer rather than leaving "his" spot open for Heinen, Bjork, DeBrusk etc to come in and grab.

For those of you not tracking --Stafford has only 8pts and is a -8 in 29 games played.

Bruin4Life

Nov 6, 2006
Remember when everyone was upset about not trading up with all 3 picks to grab Hanifin

Jdavidev

Jul 5, 2011
Los Angeles, CA
I admit it.

This helps immensely.

We have a hockey season.
it is a very weak division. of course, they haven't played much in it yet, so other than being up by a bunch of points on 4th, it hasn't factored. But with more FLA, DET, OTW and BUF games on the ticket, could really have an inflated record at the end.

bruinsfan1970

Global Moderator
I admit it.

This helps immensely.

We have a hockey season.

I think if we had not of played the game the night before Washington we would of beat them. I am hoping the wins against the Capitals take place during the play-offs now that would be a great way to start winning against Holtby and crew :yo:

00BW

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Mar 14, 2012
Framingham, MA
I could not, for the life of me, understand the group of people here that wanted to bring back Drew Stafford this summer rather than leaving "his" spot open for Heinen, Bjork, DeBrusk etc to come in and grab.

For those of you not tracking --Stafford has only 8pts and is a -8 in 29 games played.

He has a good shot but you could see last year that he is not fast enough to contribute regularly. With the rules changes for holding, interference, and now slashing, all the slow players are being exposed. He was a cheap acquisition and I didn't mind trying him but he couldn't adapt. Compare him to Backes who trained hard in the offseason, dropped weight, and is only a half step behind these young, fast kids.

veganbruin

Sep 20, 2013
Boston, MA
They are not a contender but they could win a round and I think our best years are yet to come. Maybe one of the young center prospects emerges to slide Krejci down the depth chart next season and we are getting closer.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I just don’t agree with it being called a gamble. Every thing he has done has seemed concise and thought out. Gamble comes across as rolling the dice and hoping for the besr.

But you never know if someone can play at the NHL level. You believe that they can but......

Reactions: BMC

DominicT

Sep 6, 2009
Stratford Ontario
dom.hockey
I admit it.

This helps immensely.

We have a hockey season.

The bolded really means nothing right now.

They've played more games against the Metro (5-3-2) then the Atlantic (3-1-2)
They've played more games against the Pacific (7-3-1)
They've played 1 fewer game against the Central (2-3-0) then the Atlantic.

Based on percentages versus each division, they'd be in a playoff spot in every division (wild card if they were in the Central)

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
They entertain me. That has value.

with you there Wally, this team was beyond boring over the last few years, this edition, not so, even in games where they are behind, I don`t find myself turning the games off as they just have something about them (resilience I guess) that won`t allow them to raise the white flag and give up on a game

The kids have a great deal to do with this too, so fun to watch them grow on the fly

Reactions: HockeyMomx2

JP Nolan

Sep 28, 2017
I just don’t agree with it being called a gamble. Every thing he has done has seemed concise and thought out. Gamble comes across as rolling the dice and hoping for the besr.
Huge Gamble that the kids would pan out.

He was hoping for the best......Had McAvoy, Heinen and DeBrusk, Bjork, Kuraly and Gryz not been this good for say another year........Where would the team be ?

He rolled the dice that the kids would bail him out for his lack of trading for proven NHL talent for those positions. It took long enough but it has finally paid off. Now he needs to finish the job.

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
Win or lose this team is certainly more entertaining to watch than when we had guys like Hayes, Kemp, Talbot etc. Much rather see the kids blend in with core vets.

Also props to Dom for wanting the B's to draft Robert Thomas last draft, watched him last night for Canada in the pre tournament game against the Czechs and he looked awesome a faster version of Bergeron.

JCRO

At least I'm safe inside my mind
Sponsor
Mar 8, 2011
I admit it.

This helps immensely.

We have a hockey season.
In fairness to this team, they recently played Washington on the back end of a back to back and honestly, I didn’t think they looked bad.

But yes, I’d like to see them show us something against one of these bigger East teams.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad