Boston Bruins Sweeney and Cassidy - End of season press conference

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
Not that I expected anything, but no revelations there except that Sweeney seemed to be saying without saying it that some of the UFA's were not coming back. He did seem to be up in the air with the backup goaltending situation with Dobby being UFA. It was almost as though he was hinting that Dobby might be looking for more money that Bs want to pay. Hard to really tell though. I watched and I am as informed about the team as I was before I watched :laugh:

Reactions: BMC

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
Don Sweeney Bruce Cassidy Bruins - The Boston Globe

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney confirmed Thursday, in the midst of his season-wrapup news conference at TD Garden, that his assistant GM, John Ferguson Jr., has been approached by other NHL clubs about taking over their front office.
The Minnesota Wild, who recently dismissed Cliff Fletcher, are still looking for a new boss.
The Carolina Hurricanes were conducting a search to replace Ron Francis as GM, but earlier this week they promoted from within and named Don Waddell, the former Thrashers GM, as their new boss.
Ferguson, who is also GM of the Bruins’ AHL affiliate in Providence, once was the Toronto Maple Leafs GM.

LouJersey

Jun 29, 2002
Graves to Gardens
youtu.be
Don Sweeney Bruce Cassidy Bruins - The Boston Globe

Bruins general manager Don Sweeney confirmed Thursday, in the midst of his season-wrapup news conference at TD Garden, that his assistant GM, John Ferguson Jr., has been approached by other NHL clubs about taking over their front office.
The Minnesota Wild, who recently dismissed Cliff Fletcher, are still looking for a new boss.
The Carolina Hurricanes were conducting a search to replace Ron Francis as GM, but earlier this week they promoted from within and named Don Waddell, the former Thrashers GM, as their new boss.
Ferguson, who is also GM of the Bruins’ AHL affiliate in Providence, once was the Toronto Maple Leafs GM.

Nice go somewhere else so we can make some trades!

Reactions: Dr Hook

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Just watching the Sweeney press conference. I had no idea that a Harvard guys would constantly go Uhhhhhhhh, we Uhhhhhhhhh, and Uhhhhhh as much as he did. At least he tossed the injury excuse out there first. Yeah, no other teams have those to deal with. :rolleyes:

Cassidy was the bright spot. Great, great coach. We're lucky to have him going into next season.

Don Cherry

Sep 28, 2017
Sweeney looks to have aged 15 years since the last time I saw him. His face looks like the Clementine orange that works it's way to the bottom of the crisper in your fridge and sits there for a year or so. :laugh:

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
Just watching the Sweeney press conference. I had no idea that a Harvard guys would constantly go Uhhhhhhhh, we Uhhhhhhhhh, and Uhhhhhh as much as he did. At least he tossed the injury excuse out there first. Yeah, no other teams have those to deal with. :rolleyes:

Cassidy was the bright spot. Great, great coach. We're lucky to have him going into next season.

Sweeney looks to have aged 15 years since the last time I saw him. His face looks like the Clementine orange that works it's way to the bottom of the crisper in your fridge and sits there for a year or so. :laugh:

Again...you aren’t even good at trolling.

The only plus here is that you didn’t bring up Ray Bourque’s weight for the millionth time

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
I wish Sweeney showed a bit more "fire"

Cassidy said all the right things.

In terms of the question if the roster will filled from within....Sweeney didn't sound as optimistic as he did in last years end presser.

"Donato, Bjork need to earn jobs" ..like he isn't satisfied about something

Bruins have good depth of young prospect but the reality is that none were as productive as Heinen or Debrusk were the season prior down at Providence. Or are too young and could use a full season down at Providence (Frederic etc)

rocketdan9

Feb 5, 2009
In regards to how he will prepare for the upcoming draft....he stated he will scout as if he had the #1 pick still.

Vs. stating giving up the #1 pick was worth it?

Maybe I'm reading a little too much into this...but sounds like he is already having buyers remorse

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
I wish Sweeney showed a bit more "fire"

Cassidy said all the right things.

In terms of the question if the roster will filled from within....Sweeney didn't sound as optimistic as he did in last years end presser.

"Donato, Bjork need to earn the job
" ..like he wasn't satisfied or something

Bruins have good depth of young prospect but the reality is that none were as productive as Heinen or Debrusk were the season prior down at Providence. Or are too young and could use a full season down at Providence (Frederic etc)

Well I wouldn't expect him to say either had locked down positions for next year. Would send a terrible message to both them IMO, like they don't need to work for it, and a bad message to all the other guys competing for jobs.

But like Divers year-end report on the rookies, doesn't sound like any of the Providence guys are really all that close to being ready to step into the NHL. Sure that can change over the summer depending on the work they put in (and their own natural maturity, both physical and mental).

They essentially incorporated 5 rookies this year into full-time players (McAvoy, Debrusk, Heinen, Kuraly, Gryz). It's probably unrealistic they'll incorporate 3-4-5 more next year. Your probably looking at 1 or 2. My guess is Donato and Bjork have the inside track based on their play in the NHL this year, but they'll still have to earn the job.

RussellmaniaKW

Sep 15, 2004
I realize from the coverage @BruinsNetwork provides on Twitter that developing 2 way games was a big focus for the providence coaching staff this season, I can't imagine Sweeney is happy with the lack of offensive output from his best offensive prospects down there. I bet we see a coaching change in Providence, or at least tweaks to the staff.

Sounds like sweeney hates not having his 1st round pick, haha. I bet they have a guy they really want and he's worried he won't be there in the 2nd.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Ownership is 'content' right now. The Bruins had 6 home playoff games this season which ensures a very nice profit.

The Bruins are back to being the fourth team in the market but they are not irrelevant either. The problem is the Millennial generation that is now a huge economic factor in the city of Boston does not embrace hockey. I want to stress this is not a knock at the Millennials who are Boston natives but those who went to college here and decided to stay. For generations, the best and brightest would come to Harvard and MIT and then get their degree and move to NY, DC, Silicon Valley or wherever but in the last 15 years, many have now decided to stay in Boston. @Gee Wally can attest at the astronomical entry-level salaries being offered today.

The Bruins 'should' be a playoff team for the next few years but they are also in a tough division.

Reactions: BMC and Alicat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->