Swedish Prospect Update Thread

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
Heiskanen, Laine, Barkov, Kakko, Aho, Rantanen...

They have left Sweden in the dust.

Hedman, Karlsson, Backstrom, Ekman-Larsson, Landeskog, Zibanejad, Rakell, Forsberg, Arvidsson, W.Karlsson, W.Nylander, Pettersson, Dahlin, H.Lindholm, E.Lindholm

Sweden is still comfortably ahead. You can probably make a case that finnish 95-98 generation is better, even though, Sweden still produced some good players in that period(E.Pettersson, W.Nylander, Andersson, Burakovsky, Olofsson, M.Pettersson, Kempe, Bratt)

Ebbert

Dec 15, 2018
Hello mates ! For NHL 21 I created a lot of undrafted swedish prospects that were not in the game, is there someone I missed to create in this list that I should ? Im not able to create 2006s and so. William Eklund, Jesper Wallstedt, Oliver Moberg and Simon Robertsson are already in the game too.

William Lagerqvist, William Stromgren, Zeb Forsfjall, Romeo Ekfeldt, Simon Borgernas, Simon Edvinsson, Victor Stjernborg, Arvid Eljas, Alexander Hellnemo, Abbe Linderdahl, Simon Forsmark, Anton Olsson, Albert Sjoberg, Calle Bornell, Calle Odelius, Erik Fernhall, Elias Salomonsson, Elias Stenman, Viggo Andren, Filip Bystedt, Fabian Lysell, Filip Stennert, Gustav Ling, Vilmer Alriksson. Gustaf Kangas, Gabriel Kangas, Hugo Havelid, Mattias Havelid, Hugo Hedvall, Hannes Hellberg, Helmer Styf, Ivan Bjorkly Nordstrom, Isac Hedqvist, Victor Sjoholm, Isak Rosen, Joel Holmli, Joel Kjellberg, Jonathan Myrenberg, Tim Almgren, Jacob Sagadin, Johannes Sideback, Joel Svensson, Sixten Sjostrand, Ludwig Andersson, Lucas Bengstelius, Liam Dower Nilsson, Noah Dower Nilsson, Ludvig Jansson, Liam Ohgren, Ludwig Persson, Lukas Sagranden, Viktor Hurtig, Lucas Stockselius. Liam Willner, Martin Brovall, Theo Angesved, Marcus Gidlof, Marcus Limpar Lantz, Max Stigell, Noah Ostlund, Noel Styrenius, Hugo Gabrielsson, Olle Bjalkefors, Oskar Jellvik, Oskar Olausson, Oscar Pantzare, Olle Skogfalt, Otto Stenberg, Teodor Forssander, Theo Lindstein, Teodor Munther and Tom Willander !

Did not have weight and height for Noah Erliden so I decided to not create him. I created Alexander Suzdalev as a russian player. Thanks you all !

Last edited:

theslatcher

Jan 5, 2016
Sweden
Hello mates ! For NHL 21 I created a lot of undrafted swedish prospects that were not in the game, is there someone I missed to create in this list that I should ? Im not able to create 2006s and so. William Eklund, Jesper Wallstedt and Simon Robertsson are already in the game too.

William Lagerqvist, William Stromgren, Zeb Forsfjall, Romeo Ekfeldt, Simon Borgernas, Simon Edvinsson, Victor Stjernborg, Arvid Eljas, Alexander Hellnemo, Abbe Linderdahl, Simon Forsmark, Anton Olsson, Albert Sjoberg, Calle Bornell, Calle Odelius, Erik Fernhall, Elias Salomonsson, Elias Stenman, Viggo Andren, Filip Bystedt, Fabian lysell, Filip Stennert, Gustav Ling, Vilmer Alriksson. Gustaf Kangas, Gabriel Kangas, Hugo Havelid, Mattias Havelid, Hugo Hedvall, Hannes Hellberg, Helmer Styf, Ivan Bjorkly Nordstrom, Isac Hedqvist, Victor Sjoholm, Isak Rosen, Joel Holmli, Joel Kjellberg, Jesper Myrenberg, Tim Almgren, Jacob Sagadin, Johannes Sideback, Joel Svensson, Sixten Sjostrand, Ludwig Andersson, Lucas Bengstelius, Liam Dower Nilsson, Noah Dower Nilsson, Ludvig Jansson, Liam Ohgren, Ludwig Persson, Lukas Sagranden, Viktor Hurtig, Lucas Stockselius. Liam Willner, Martin Brovall, Theo Angesved, Marcus Gidlof, Marcus Limpar Lantz, Max Stigell, Noah Ostlund, Noel Styrenius, Hugo Gabrielsson, Olle Bjalkefors, Oskar Jellvik, Oskar Olausson, Olle Skogfalt, Otto Stenberg, Teodor Forssander, Theo Lindstein, Teodor Munther and Tom Willander !

Did not have weight and height for Noah Erliden so I decided to not create him. I created Alexander Suzdalev as a russian player. Thanks you all !
Suzdalev has elected to represent Sweden, so should be a Swedish player.

Anyway, some off the top of my head:

Carl Lindbom
Fred Nilsson
Jonathan Myrenberg
Lucas Forsell
Oliver Moberg
William Jupiter
Adrian Zetterberg
Egor Polin
Joel Kant
Jonathan Lekkerimäki
Leo Carlsson
Otto Stahre
Oscar Pantzare

Reactions: Ebbert

Ebbert

Dec 15, 2018
Thanks for the answer ! Y'a I wrote Jesper Myrenberg but its Jonathan that I created, I forgot to add Oscar Pantzare too and Oliver Moberg is already in the game.

romelson

Dec 19, 2007
Ornskoldsvik
I bet Elmer Söderbloms brother Arvid Söderblom (undrafted) will beat Elmer to reach NHL.
21 yo goalkeeper, now with 2 consecutive shutouts and 6 consecutive wins after being backup behind the keeper who was awarded best keeper of SHL 19/20 (who got injured 6 games ago).

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
I bet Elmer Söderbloms brother Arvid Söderblom (undrafted) will beat Elmer to reach NHL.
21 yo goalkeeper, now with 2 consecutive shutouts and 6 consecutive wins after being backup behind the keeper who was awarded best keeper of SHL 19/20 (who got injured 6 games ago).

Why was Arvid never drafted?

wingerdinger

Oct 21, 2018
what about undrafted Arvid Soderblom? 6'3 goalie, 21 yrs old ... greats stats? What about his potential?
Don't know his potential, but his style reminds of Lundqvist were he plays deeper in his net.

Hope the wings take a flyer on him as our goalies prospects are a barren wasteland.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Any superplayerprospect in a 5years span to follow? I miss Sundin Forsberg Naslund Lidas era.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
hey guys ! i was wondering if any SHL/swed hockey watcher could tell me more about fabian lysell vs william eklund ? seems lysell was initially ranked higher, but eklunds SHL production got him some deserved attention. how is their on ice play ? who do you project as the better skater going forward ? thanks for your opinion

JackTColton

Feb 7, 2021
I’m betting the way this next draft is shaping up without a McDavid-Matthews-Ovechkin type of clear cut franchise player that G Jesper Wallstedt is going to go a lot higher than goalies usually go. He’s very talented and already playing in a really good league with much success and is still really young. I bet he even goes top 10, maybe even top 5 with SEA picking 3 and being an expansion team.

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
hey guys ! i was wondering if any SHL/swed hockey watcher could tell me more about fabian lysell vs william eklund ? seems lysell was initially ranked higher, but eklunds SHL production got him some deserved attention. how is their on ice play ? who do you project as the better skater going forward ? thanks for your opinion

Some consider Eklund to be s a viable #1 overall in the next draft.

In that case, he would look to be ahead of Lysell, who I've felt has done some real good things for Lulea. He's just not nearly as important to their goals as Eklund is to Djurgarden's.

molotce

Apr 14, 2017
Some consider Eklund to be s a viable #1 overall in the next draft.

In that case, he would look to be ahead of Lysell, who I've felt has done some real good things for Lulea. He's just not nearly as important to their goals as Eklund is to Djurgarden's.
Interesting, how do you see lysell’s potential vs eklund in the end ?

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
Interesting, how do you see lysell’s potential vs eklund in the end ?

I have too few viewings of Lysell to make this comparison.

The kid has game and he's got some skills.

Both look like fabulous prospects. Neither is particularly big. We'll prolly see Lysell at the U18, so that'll be exciting and give us a good indicator of where he's at against his peers.

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010
Here I will sum up the latest statements by Szymon Szemberg, now Managing Director of the Alliance of European Hockey Clubs, earlier working for the Champions Hockey League & the IIHF. It looks like he dislikes that too many Swedish young prospects, who are not NHL-ready, singing with the NHL clubs & playing in the AHL instead of the Swedish league (SHL). Of course, the SHL is losing talent, too many talents. The SHL would be a much better league if these prospects stayed at home for a longer time.

I noticed very similar complaints by the SHL GMs who dislike that the NHL takes all the prospects too early.

Sweden signed the NHL Transfer Agreement which allows & supports such behaviour by the NHL clubs. Legally speaking, the Swedish clubs can do nothing with it. The NHL clubs have a right to take any player, even under contract with the Swedish club, while the Swedish clubs have no right to stop the transfer.

Szemberg dislikes the KHL, so it is a surprise that he "admires" the KHL clubs who are keeping the top talents for a longer time (than Swedish clubs). There are reasons for it, the KHL has never signed the NHL Transfer Agreement, instead, they signed the MoU with the NHL stipulating that the NHL has to honour the KHL´s players contracts (vice versa). As written earlier, it is not a case with the NHL Transfer Agreement & Sweden (and others). According to the NHL TA, the NHL clubs are not obligated to honour the players' contracts with their Swedish (other) clubs. Actually, they do not honour them at all.

If I know, Szemberg was behind the IIHF study, over a decade ago, saying "The study - which looked 1,200 European pro and junior players from 1997 to 2006 - found that more than 20 per cent of the Europeans moving across the Atlantic to play in the NHL and American Hockey League between 2000 and 2006 never played in the top league. It also found that 62 per cent had little or no impact in the NHL, and 46.1 per cent returned to Europe without having played 400 games"

The saddest part of the story is that Szemberg or whoever can do nothing if the current NHL Transfer Agreement is in place. It needs to be abandoned and a completely new system of international transfers to be created to replace it. The NHL & the KHL show the way to go. But it is not enough.

Listen to Szemberg starting at 20 minutes. "Every player who is 18 or 19 with so-so quality is drafted and eventually to sign an NHL contract whether he is NHL ready or not. ... Kids that go too early they basically have no chance, or very few of them, to hold an important position on NHL club. They are being sent down to the AHL ... and they come back (from AHL) as lesser players. ... too many young Europeans go to the NHL before they are ready and we lose lots of players that way. When I say "we" I mean Europe because for the NHL it does not matter because for every player who fails there are 10 others to take that spot. But that hurts European hockey and it also depletes the leagues. Last year were 130 Swedish players with NHL contract. You do not have 130 Swedish players of the NHL calibre. If there would 80 Swedes be playing in the NHL but 50 remaining in Sweden and maybe go to the NHL when ready, this would be a much better proportion."

https://twitter.com/Sz1909_Szemberg/status/1369964360269987840

Last edited:

vorky

@vorkywh24
Jan 23, 2010

google translate:

Players under development (18-25) who play creative roles in teams with good training will be better.

Players under development who play def. roller alt. in the farm team gets worse or stands still. Can give 100 examples of players who have gotten worse / stayed in ext. in the NHL / AHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Managing director of the Alliance of European Hockey Clubs E.H.C. wants good prospects to play in Europe. More at 11.

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
Managing director of the Alliance of European Hockey Clubs E.H.C. wants good prospects to play in Europe. More at 11.
Pretty pointless comment. Point me to where Szemberg claims those prospects should remain in Europe forever. No? Then what's your point?

The fun part of that discussion is how it should be in the best interest of the NHL teams to develop their prospects properly, but the mindless NA crowd just wants them in NA ASAP, even if it hurts their teams they are supposed to be supporting.

Reactions: JimboA and vorky

Atas2000

Jan 18, 2011
What if Kaprizov or Romanov were better if they played in NA? We will never know
That is the "problem" with stats and science. Let's scrap statistics(also the mathematical discipline) altogether, because we'll never know if the results will ever apply to a single case in the future and we can't change the past to see how a different combination of factors would affect a past single case. Should we?

I won't. The "great empirical study" shows that the players who develop at home pan out at an exorbitantly higher rate that those who go to NA early. Does that mean there will never be a european player who develops in the CHL and becomes a superstar? No, of course not. Does that mean every single european prospect who develops at home will reach his ceiling and even break through it? No, of course not.

But I am going to bet on players who develop at home. Ask insurance analysts how it works.

DeysArena

Oct 5, 2020
If I were a rich NHL team, I would actually buy a team in one of the better European leagues. It would allow European prospects to play closer to home until they're ready to jump straight into the NHL, but still give the team control over their development. You could also use it to tryout older European players who might be good enough to move to the NHL.

Treb

Global Flanderator
May 31, 2011
Montreal
Pretty pointless comment. Point me to where Szemberg claims those prospects should remain in Europe forever. No? Then what's your point?

The fun part of that discussion is how it should be in the best interest of the NHL teams to develop their prospects properly, but the mindless NA crowd just wants them in NA ASAP, even if it hurts their teams they are supposed to be supporting.

I never said he did. The fact you automatically go to that doesn't surprise me though, as I have seen your position on the subject in other threads.

He wants Europeans to stay in Europe longer. He wants good NA prospects to move to Europe post-draft (or even pre-draft). There's a clear conflict of interest there. That's my point. Even if a prospects stay only 5 more years like Kaprizov, that's still 5 more years of the league level being better. If the Matthews and McDavid of the world go to Europe pre-draft, that makes the leagues better, even if just for 1-2 years.

As for my position, I don't really care either way as I long as the prospect is in a good program whether it is in NA or Europe.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad