Swedish Prospect Update Thread

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Any chance Suzdalev leaves for the CHL? He was drafted by Regina in the CHL import draft and as far as I know is pretty good friends with Bedard

Anyone got info? This kid is promising, good skills and he's got good size already.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Just catching up with this thread. Sorry to be off-topic, PM me if preferred, but how are SHL attendances so low? I'm from the UK and they are comparable with some of our bigger teams.

I find this odd as obviously hockey is one of the main sports in Sweden. I had assumed that SHL attendances would be larger than this.

Because the total amount of people in Sweden is about the same as the amount of people in London...There are like 10 cities with a population above 100k people in Sweden.

Reactions: Husqvarna

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Another Redwings defensive stud is turning heads early in the Swedish Hockey League. Simon Edvinsson a 6'5" defenceman for Frolunda who was Detroit's first pick this year at #6, has quietly gained the 2nd most minutes for a defenceman for his team as an 18 y.o. scoring 2 points so far in 3 games and being awarded the 2nd star in his last game. His skating particularly is superb and along with his physical play has allowed him to dominate opponents.

On the Detroit prospect game against Dallas, the Dallas GM Jim Nill was quoted as saying that they had Edvinsson rated ahead of Buffalo draft pick Owen Power who was drafted #1 overall in this year's NHL draft and Edvinsson is making him look quite the evaluator with his early performance in the SHL.

I can't wait until Edvinsson pairs up with another defensive stud in 6'4" Moritz Seider who preceded him as the best young defencemen of the SHL last season on Detroit's blue line in a few year's time.​

Last edited:

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Another Redwings defensive stud is turning heads early in the Swedish Hockey League. Simon Edvinsson a 6'5" defenceman for Frolunda who was Detroit's first pick this year at #6, has quietly gained the most minutes for a defenceman for his team as an 18 y.o. scoring 2 points so far in 3 games and being awarded the 2nd star in his last game. His skating particularly is superb and along with his physical play has allowed him to dominate opponents.

On the Detroit prospect game against Dallas, the Dallas GM Jim Nill was quoted as saying that they had Edvinsson rated ahead of Dallas draft pick Owen Power who was drafted #1 overall in this year's NHL draft and Edvinsson is making him look quite the evaluator with his performance in the SHL.

I can't wait until Edvinsson pairs up with another defensive stud in 6'4" Moritz Seider who preceded him as the best young defencemen of the SHL last season on Detroit's blue line in a few year's time.​
Thanks for the insight. Did you mean to say "Buffalo draft pick Owen Power?"

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
Thanks for the insight. Did you mean to say "Buffalo draft pick Owen Power?"

Right. My Bad. Corrected.

Interesting though is another Swedish defenceman prospect, Albert Johansson who was drafted a year or two earlier than Edvinsson is also impressing in the Swedish Hockey League this season. On the Detroit boards, it is a toss up between the two on who is going to have the better performance this year.

Edvinsson is bigger at 6'6", is more physical and a better skater but is playing on a team(Frolunda) that is struggling to score goals while the 6' Johansson is on one of the better teams(Farjestad) in the SHL this season, so I expect the latter to score more points this year particularly with the experience he has gained the past year or so playing in the SHL.

Johansson even got praise from Detroit legend Niklas Lidstrom for his smart positional play that reminded many others of him. Johansson was second in points among all defensemen under 20 in the Swedish Hockey League (right behind 2021 SHL best defenceman awardee and fellow Detroit prospect Moritz Seider), scoring 19 points (eight goals and 11 assists) in 44 games last season.

However Edvinsson's transition to top tier pro hockey in the SHL seems to be better than Johansson did, as the former in his first year as a full time SHL player is already performing well right from the start.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

Ryan Van Horne

aka Scribe
Dec 1, 2005
Halifax
Right. My Bad. Corrected.

Interesting though is another Swedish defenceman prospect, Johansson who was drafted a year earlier than Edvinsson is also impressing in the Swedish Hockey League this season. On the Detroit boards, it is a toss up between the two on who is going to have the better performance this year.

Edvinsson is bigger at 6'6" and a better skater but is playing on a team(Frolunda) that is struggling to score goals while Johansson is on one of the better teams(Farjestad) in the SHL this season, so I expect the latter to score more points this year particularly with the experience he has gained the past year or so playing in the SHL.

Johansson even got praise from Detroit legend Niklas Lidstrom for his smart positional play that reminded many others of him.

However Edvinsson transition to pro hockey in the SHL seems to be better than Johansson did, as the former in his first year as a full time SHL player is already performing well right from the beginning.
I remember reading/hearing about Johansson in his draft year and thinking the Red Wings got a pretty interesting prospect at #60. He seems to be developing nicely in the SHL. Detroit is going to start taking some big steps forward in the next year or two.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
I remember reading/hearing about Johansson in his draft year and thinking the Red Wings got a pretty interesting prospect at #60. He seems to be developing nicely in the SHL. Detroit is going to start taking some big steps forward in the next year or two.

I agree that Detroit has a bright future with all it's young prospects but this year isn't too bad either.

Interestingly Detroit has 3 potential Calder trophy candidates in all 3 positions this year in forward and last year's #4 overall NHL draft pick Lucas Raymond(who has impressed in camp), SHL and this year's WHC best defenceman awardee Moritz Seider and and last year's NHL Calder Trophy finalist 25 y.o. Alex Nedeljkovic who still qualifies as a rookie since he appeared in only 23 games last season and just six combined in the three previous years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ryan Van Horne

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Seems like a few new kids been ok so far. Eklund, Edvinsson , Raymond, I want whats best for there development. But i also realy want to see them in NHL. Hate to have to wait.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Emil Andrae is having a good season. 10 points in 11 games as a D in Allsvenskan

Nybeck aswell with 5 points in 9 games.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Whatever we are doin to develop Ds please do the same with the forwards. The gap between the two is beyond silly.

Hockeyfrilla

Swe prospect fanatic
May 25, 2008
Sweden
Whatever we are doin to develop Ds please do the same with the forwards. The gap between the two is beyond silly.

Well, 6 first rounders in the latest 2 drafts are forwards.

2020: Lucas Raymond, Alexander Holtz
2021: William Eklund, Isak Rosén, Fabian Lysell, Oskar Olausson

2022: Öhgren, Östlund, Lekkerimäki, Suzdalev etc looks interesting.,

We will see how they develop.

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Well, 6 first rounders in the latest 2 drafts are forwards.

2020: Lucas Raymond, Alexander Holtz
2021: William Eklund, Isak Rosén, Fabian Lysell, Oskar Olausson

2022: Öhgren, Östlund, Lekkerimäki, Suzdalev etc looks interesting.,

We will see how they develop.
Peter Forsberg was drafted 6 1991 Naslund 16 and Nylander 59, so who knows. I just want some top end players like P Forsberg again.

Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

Garl

Oct 7, 2006
No wish is too high. And realistic we should be able to get near, but we are lighyears away.

Czechs have their new Jagr and Hasek, Russia has new Ovechkin and Malkin, FInland has new Selanne, Canada has new Gretzky, where is swedish new Forsberg?

Reactions: ZEBROA

ZEBROA

Dec 21, 2017
Czechs have their new Jagr and Hasek, Russia has new Ovechkin and Malkin, FInland has new Selanne, Canada has new Gretzky, where is swedish new Forsberg?
Exactly! We got a lot of good players but not exeptional good.

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago
The Swedish Redwings prospects continue to impress in the SHL and today 5 of them are involved in playing with against each other, 4 for Frolunda(Soderblom, Edvinsson, Niederback, Dower Nillson) and one for Farjestad(Johnsson).

Last edited:
Reactions: Hockeyfrilla

cjeagle

Jul 10, 2016
Chicago

Well this early Lucas Raymond is playing like a star even as a rookie. Raymond now has 14 points in the NHL currently tied for 7th overall in the NHL.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Swedes i expect to be drafted in 2022:

Filip Bystedt
Jonathan Lerrimäki
Noah Östlund
Simon Forsmark
Elias Salmonsson
Liam Öhgren
Hugo Hävelid
Mattias Hävelid
Fabian Wagner
Helmer Styf
Rasmus Ruddslätt
Joel Kjellberg
Filip Nordberg
Calle Odelius
Linus Hemström
Lucas Edmonds
Tim Almgren
Alexander Suzdalev
Ludwig Persson
Oscar Asplund
Ludvig Jansson
Theo Nordlund
Joel Nyström
Alexander Lundkvist
Elias Ekström
Måns Forsjäll
Georg Weigelt
Viktor Larsson
Hugo Styf

I think more swedes will be drafted this time. Not many high end players but lots of depth. Many will be taken in late rounds.

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Curious about Swedish Jakob Stenqvist, 23yr/6'2"/RS/Defenseman playing for the Severstal Cherepovets in the KHL.

Seems to be putting up pretty good numbers in KHL and Liiga but wasn't qualified by Dallas.

Is there any potential still there?

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Swedes i expect to be drafted in 2022:

Filip Bystedt
Jonathan Lerrimäki
Noah Östlund
Simon Forsmark
Elias Salmonsson
Liam Öhgren
Hugo Hävelid
Mattias Hävelid
Fabian Wagner
Helmer Styf
Rasmus Ruddslätt
Joel Kjellberg
Filip Nordberg
Calle Odelius
Linus Hemström
Lucas Edmonds
Tim Almgren
Alexander Suzdalev
Ludwig Persson
Oscar Asplund
Ludvig Jansson
Theo Nordlund
Joel Nyström
Alexander Lundkvist
Elias Ekström
Måns Forsjäll
Georg Weigelt
Viktor Larsson
Hugo Styf

I think more swedes will be drafted this time. Not many high end players but lots of depth. Many will be taken in late rounds.
Nystrom was drafted in 2021. I have always like Lundkvist, but not sure he will be drafted in D+2, might be signed as FA.

One name not on the list that I am interested in is Adam Engstrom. From what I have been able to find he has been considered solid defensively in juniors, now he is finding some offensive production--also listed on EP as 6'2" after being listed as 6'. On the surface good development both skill-wise and physically.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad