Swedish Prospect Update Thread

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
So to get this thread going again:

Who are some guys to watch for next years draft outside of the obvious ones like Dahlin, Boqvist, Lundeström, Wernblom?

I've seen a couple of 2000's that I liked including Adam Ginning, David Gustafsson and Samuel Fagemo. I've seen Oscar Bäck too but I think his skating is really going to hold him back, unless he takes major strides forward over the summer.

Who else is out there that could be good? How good are Jacob Olofsson, Carl Jakobsson and Filip HÃ¥llander? What about d-men Filip Hasa and Filip Johansson?

Would anyone attempt to rank all these guys?

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Jacob Olofsson would be my top Swe forward for the 18 draft. Reminds me a bit of Alexander Wennberg. Watch out for Albin Eriksson though, he's super raw but his skillset is very impressive.

Reactions: Sikamikaniko

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011

Who are some guys to watch for next years draft outside of the obvious ones like Dahlin, Boqvist, Lundeström, Wernblom?

I've seen a couple of 2000's that I liked including Adam Ginning, David Gustafsson and Samuel Fagemo. I've seen Oscar Bäck too but I think his skating is really going to hold him back, unless he takes major strides forward over the summer.

Who else is out there that could be good? How good are Jacob Olofsson, Carl Jakobsson and Filip HÃ¥llander? What about d-men Filip Hasa and Filip Johansson?

Some names to watch aside from those mentioned. Lots of good, big body two-way forwards but also some smaller skill guys. Maybe only Olofsson is a 1st rounder of these.

Forwards

Jacob Olofsson, Timrå
Linus Pettersson, Modo
Albin Eriksson, Skellefteå
Gabriel Seger, Brynäs
Marcus Westfält, Brynäs
Dennis Finn Olsson, Leksand
Gustav Lindberg, Västerås

Defensemen

Fredrik Granberg, Skellefteå
Jonathan Granström, Skellefteå
Jakob Bondesson, Rögle
Rasmus Sandin, Brynäs
Martin Fehervary, Malmö
William Fransson, HV71

rickardr

Oct 10, 2016
Sweden

Olofsson is a big guy, 187, 87 kg. Good skating and a good shot. More of a 2-way centerman i would say. Physical player who uses his body very well to his advantage.

Jacobsson is also a big guy with a good scoring sense.

HÃ¥llander is a 2-way forward with strong skating and work ethic, reads the game very well, can play both C and W. He has a bigger upside in offense then these 2 above i would say.

I also like Berggren. Small and intelligent player.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Nässén looked good when he got to play in SHL last season. He played it very safe though, didn't make many mistakes and overall didn't make much noise at all. He showed glimpses of some nice offense as well, hopefully we get to see more of that in the upcoming season.

Cool do you think he will play more this next year? Does he have a chance of being a regular?

djf

Jun 9, 2012

Fabian Zetterlund is my sleeper pick of the draft. Power forward with a good shot. Nicknamed Mini-Ovechkin.

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=265608

hallonskal

Jun 1, 2010
Cool do you think he will play more this next year? Does he have a chance of being a regular?

Yes, Luleå has lost a few defensemen that ate a lot of icetime and Jaros might leave for NA as well, it isn't decided yet. If Jaros leave there will be a new defenseman as replacement though, so top4 will be filled with more experienced players.

Then we have Sandström that most likely will take the spot as 7th defenseman, which leaves two spots open for Själlin, Nässén and Grahn (and maybe Stadler and Johansson) to fight for. Judging by last season Själlin and Nässén should have the best chance to get those spots. Either way Nässén should see quite some icetime next year.

Harry Kakalovich

Sep 26, 2002
Montreal
Yes, Luleå has lost a few defensemen that ate a lot of icetime and Jaros might leave for NA as well, it isn't decided yet. If Jaros leave there will be a new defenseman as replacement though, so top4 will be filled with more experienced players.

Then we have Sandström that most likely will take the spot as 7th defenseman, which leaves two spots open for Själlin, Nässén and Grahn (and maybe Stadler and Johansson) to fight for. Judging by last season Själlin and Nässén should have the best chance to get those spots. Either way Nässén should see quite some icetime next year.

great - thanks! Hope he continues to improve and that he makes the WJC next year.

Braeden

Jul 14, 2009
Does anyone else think Jonathan Dahlén can make the Canucks?

His game translates to the NHL really well.

Vancouver BC

Feb 28, 2016
Some names to watch aside from those mentioned. Lots of good, big body two-way forwards but also some smaller skill guys. Maybe only Olofsson is a 1st rounder of these.

Forwards

Jacob Olofsson, Timrå
Linus Pettersson, Modo
Gabriel Seger, Brynäs
Marcus Westfält, Brynäs

Defensemen

Jakob Bondesson, Rögle
Rasmus Sandin, Brynäs
Martin Fehervary, Malmö
William Fransson, HV71

Forwards

Jacob Olofsson, Timrå
Linus Pettersson, Modo
Gabriel Seger, Brynäs
Marcus Westfält, Brynäs

Defensemen

Jakob Bondesson, Rögle
Rasmus Sandin, Brynäs
Martin Fehervary, Malmö
William Fransson, HV71

Dahlin and Lundestrom had awesome seasons no question about that. Isac Lundestrom from Lulea was Playing great in the games i watched Him play last season making his teammates better.

Fagemo became the MVP in the junior 18 playoffs and had a great playoff with his intensity and eagernes to shoot.

The players mentioned Above are all interesting players but there are more interesting players who are eligible for the 2018 draft.I was watching the swedish junior 18 Championship Play offs and was impressed by Joseph Berger who is born in december 1999 a two-way D-man from Frolunda HC He had some awesome performances in the playoffs and was playing with heart and intelligence with a combination of Smooth hands and toughness and was acting smart on the ice ....By the Way...Berger must have one of the hardest one-timer slapshots in the swedish junior leagues. I feel sorry for the players who tries to block Bergers one-timers. Joseph Berger ought to be a interesting prospect for teams who are looking for a point man on the blue-line who has the ability to create awesome things helping his team to create Scoring chances.

Last edited:

PuckPoise

May 25, 2011
Dahlin and Lundestrom had awesome seasons no question about that. Isac Lundestrom from Lulea was Playing great in the games i watched Him play last season making his teammates better.

Fagemo became the MVP in the junior 18 playoffs and had a great playoff with his intensity and eagernes to shoot.

The players mentioned Above are all interesting players but there are more interesting players who are eligible for the 2018 draft.I was watching the swedish junior 18 Championship Play offs and was impressed by Joseph Berger who is born in december 1999 a two-way D-man from Frolunda HC He had some awesome performances in the playoffs and was playing with heart and intelligence with a combination of Smooth hands and toughness and was acting smart on the ice ....By the Way...Berger must have one of the hardest one-timer slapshots in the swedish junior leagues. I feel sorry for the players who tries to block Bergers one-timers. Joseph Berger ought to be a interesting prospect for teams who are looking for a point man on the blue-line who has the ability to create awesome things helping his team to create Scoring chances.

Thanks for mentioning him and his brother for the fifth time in 18 posts. We'll all keep an eye on him for you.

Nov 23, 2014

Joseph Berger will be interesting to keep an eye on next season.I watched him play last season in the swedish superelite junior 20 top ten series when his team Frolunda played in Orebro and in Leksand.He's got potential.

There are many interesting players among the swedish junior players. Filip Hallander and Jacob Olofsson in Timra will also be interesting to follow.I watched them play last season and I think They will get ice time in the swedish second division Allsvenskan next season.

In Leksand I was impressed when i watched Richard Hugg from Leksand play.
This speedy winger has potential and combines speed with playmaking ability.

Healthy DiPietro

Jan 4, 2014
Just realized what a perfectly inappropriate name Fagemo is if you're playing in North America. Poor guy. Can't wait to hear announcers make up some kind of Italian sounding pronunciation just to get around it.

It's pronounced Fawgemoo.

Reactions: derriko

SweLeafsFan

Jun 30, 2009
Sweden
How is it possible that Rickard Hugg was not drafted? Was ranked high before the season and was the captain at U18 WC.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
How is it possible that Rickard Hugg was not drafted? Was ranked high before the season and was the captain at U18 WC.

Small + heavy feet is usually not a good combination. Many other players of a similar ilk went undrafted this year too.

Islesfan22

Jan 15, 2013
Rockland
Surprised Sebastian Aho didn't get drafted before. Thirty points in fifty games is very good production in the Swedish league. Looks like a really good skater from the videos i saw on him and poised on the pick. I guess his height is why he wasn't drafted before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->