Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
These were the players I thought were first round caliber.

Brännström at 9, ahead of Andersson? That's interesting.

I thought I'd post some stats for a few players drafted in 2014 to 2016 playing in Sweden...

Player |Team |Drafted by |GP |G |A |Pts
Oskar Lindblom |Brynäs |Philadelphia |39 |14 |21 |35
Pierre Engvall |Mora (Swe-2) |Toronto |39 |17 |16 |33
Jonathan Dahlén |Timrå (Swe-2) |Ottawa |34 |17 |11 |28
Victor Olofsson |Frölunda |Buffalo |39 |9 |12 |21
Fredrik Karlström |AIK (Swe-2) |Dallas |34 |7 |13 |20
Kevin Stenlund |HV71 |Columbus |36 |11 |6 |17
Jesper Bratt |AIK (Swe-2) |New Jersey |36 |4 |13 |17
Carl Grundström |Frölunda |Toronto |32 |12 |3 |15
Rasmus Asplund |Färjestad |Buffalo |29 |3 |12 |15
Emil Johansson (D) |Djurgården |Boston |36 |6 |7 |13

Last edited:

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Brännström at 9, ahead of Andersson? That's interesting.

I thought I'd post some stats for a few players drafted in 2014 to 2016 playing in Sweden...

Player |Team |Drafted by |GP |G |A |Pts
Oskar Lindblom |Brynäs |Philadelphia |39 |14 |21 |35
Pierre Engvall |Mora (Swe-2) |Toronto |39 |17 |16 |33
Jonathan Dahlén |Timrå (Swe-2) |Ottawa |34 |17 |11 |28
Victor Olofsson |Frölunda |Buffalo |39 |9 |12 |21
Fredrik Karlström |AIK (Swe-2) |Dallas |34 |7 |13 |20
Kevin Stenlund |HV71 |Columbus |36 |11 |6 |17
Jesper Bratt |AIK (Swe-2) |New Jersey |36 |4 |13 |17
Carl Grundström |Frölunda |Toronto |32 |12 |3 |15
Rasmus Asplund |Färjestad |Buffalo |29 |3 |12 |15
Emil Johansson (D) |Djurgården |Boston |36 |6 |7 |13

Brannstrom is highly skilled as a defenseman, and pretty good defensively for someone his size. I think he's likely to be a top 4 D, possibly top 2 if he pans out. With Andersson, I wonder if he has more upside than playing in an NHL middle six. I personally don't think he has first line upside.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
I feel like Filip Westerlund is getting a bit overrated. He has high-end hockey sense yes, but he's small and not a great skater. His offensive game is a bit lacking too. I would not take him in the 2nd round, maybe not even the 3rd.

Who is overrating him?

ManUtdTobbe

Jun 28, 2016
Sweden
robin kovacs not putting up numbers in hartford, but could be nhler?

Wouldn't put too much stock in his AHL numbers, he's one of the youngest players in the league and he plays 4th line minutes for an awful coach who's system is purely dump and chase. Hardly a good situation for a skilled 19 yo. He was always a long shot to make the NHL as everyone not drafted early, he still has NHL upside.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Wouldn't put too much stock in his AHL numbers, he's one of the youngest players in the league and he plays 4th line minutes for an awful coach who's system is purely dump and chase. Hardly a good situation for a skilled 19 yo. He was always a long shot to make the NHL as everyone not drafted early, he still has NHL upside.

Honestly didn't see a point in him moving this early. Should have tried his hand at the SHL level first but yeah his team is garbage, stillcan't believe he's only on the 4th line though..

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
way off topic here fellas but thought i would post here as its most likely to be seen by the HF swedish/scandinavian contingent. Erik karlsson!!. Guy is playing the best hockey of his young carreer! He was all over the ice last night vs Bruins and his skating is quite simply off the charts. Guys like him , Mcdavid, Crosby are at another level..but unlike the later two he obviously didnt go first OA. He kind of 'snuck up' on everyone. How is that! For you guys over in Sweden ..anyone familiar with his early development going way back to minor hockey? I mean Mcdavid and Crosby were already on the radar so-to-speak as 10 and 11 yearold phenoms but what about EK? Was there any indication of future greatness in those formative years and if not then at what point did people start to take notice that this kid might be special

Chapin Landvogt

Jul 4, 2002
Germany
way off topic here fellas but thought i would post here as its most likely to be seen by the HF swedish/scandinavian contingent. Erik karlsson!!. Guy is playing the best hockey of his young carreer! He was all over the ice last night vs Bruins and his skating is quite simply off the charts. Guys like him , Mcdavid, Crosby are at another level..but unlike the later two he obviously didnt go first OA. He kind of 'snuck up' on everyone. How is that! For you guys over in Sweden ..anyone familiar with his early development going way back to minor hockey? I mean Mcdavid and Crosby were already on the radar so-to-speak as 10 and 11 yearold phenoms but what about EK? Was there any indication of future greatness in those formative years and if not then at what point did people start to take notice that this kid might be special

I'd be curious to hear what some avid Swedish fans would say to this as well.

From what I gather, it was never clear at any stage of his teenage development that he'd become what he has become. I mean, he's simply the most cerebral offensive Dman in the league and of this generation. He's what Brian Leetch was in the 90s.

I'd say that the likes of Kylington and now Liljegren have received a lot more attention at ages 16 and 17 than Karlsson ever did.

But again, I'd love to hear what a Swedish fan picked up from Karlsson's pre-draft status and development.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg

From what I gather, it was never clear at any stage of his teenage development that he'd become what he has become. I mean, he's simply the most cerebral offensive Dman in the league and of this generation. He's what Brian Leetch was in the 90s.

I'd say that the likes of Kylington and now Liljegren have received a lot more attention at ages 16 and 17 than Karlsson ever did.

But again, I'd love to hear what a Swedish fan picked up from Karlsson's pre-draft status and development.

Well Karlsson sat out most of his 16 year season, probably flew under the radar in international scouting media due to that during his draft season. Quite evident what skills he possessed before being drafted.

BigHitter67

Feb 6, 2014
Well Karlsson sat out most of his 16 year season, probably flew under the radar in international scouting media due to that during his draft season. Quite evident what skills he possessed before being drafted.

Why's that, was he injured?

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden

I can't answer your question, but this might interest you, if you haven't seen it before. Uploaded before his draft, but I don't know exactly when this is from, probably the 07-08 season.

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Now that the regular season has finished in Allsvenskan and SHL, here are my top 12 for this season by prospects drafted 2014-2016. This isn't a list of top Swedish prospects, but rather the recently drafted players with the most impressive statistics in my opinion.

# |Name |Team |League |NHL rights |Stats
12 |Jonas Johansson |Almtuna IS |Allsvenskan |Buffalo Sabres |37GP 17W 18L 81GA 2.26GAA .913SV% 3SO
11 |Victor Olofsson |Frölunda HC |SHL |Buffalo Sabres |51GP 9G 18A 27Pts
10 |Jesper Lindgren (D) |Modo Hockey |Allsvenskan |Toronto Maple Leafs |50GP 3G 21A 24Pts
9 |Kevin Stenlund |HV71 |SHL |Columbus Blue Jackets |48GP 13G 7A 20Pts
8 |Fredrik Karlström |AIK |Allsvenskan |Dallas Stars |45GP 9G 15A 24Pts
7 |Emil Johansson (D) |Djurgårdens IF |SHL |Boston Bruins |49GP 7G 10A 17Pts
6 |Carl Grundström |Frölunda HC |SHL |Toronto Maple Leafs |45GP 14G 6A 20Pts
5 |Felix Sandström |Brynäs IF |SHL |Philadelphia Flyers |22GP 14W 7L 48GA 2.25GAA .908SV% 2SO
4 |Pierre Engvall |Mora IK |Allsvenskan |Toronto Maple Leafs |50GP 21G 19A 40Pts
3 |Linus Söderström |HV71 |SHL |New York Islanders |22GP 18W 4L 30GA 1.34GAA .943SV% 6SO
2 |Oskar Lindblom |Brynäs IF |SHL |Philadelphia Flyers |52GP 22G 25A 47Pts
1 |Jonathan Dahlén |Timrå IK |Allsvenskan |Vancouver Canucks |45GP 25G 19A 44Pts

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
Now that the regular season has finished in Allsvenskan and SHL, here are my top 12 for this season by prospects drafted 2014-2016. This isn't a list of top Swedish prospects, but rather the recently drafted players with the most impressive statistics in my opinion.

# |Name |Team |League |NHL rights |Stats
12 |Jonas Johansson |Almtuna IS |Allsvenskan |Buffalo Sabres |37GP 17W 18L 81GA 2.26GAA .913SV% 3SO
11 |Victor Olofsson |Frölunda HC |SHL |Buffalo Sabres |51GP 9G 18A 27Pts
10 |Jesper Lindgren (D) |Modo Hockey |Allsvenskan |Toronto Maple Leafs |50GP 3G 21A 24Pts
9 |Kevin Stenlund |HV71 |SHL |Columbus Blue Jackets |48GP 13G 7A 20Pts
8 |Fredrik Karlström |AIK |Allsvenskan |Dallas Stars |45GP 9G 15A 24Pts
7 |Emil Johansson (D) |Djurgårdens IF |SHL |Boston Bruins |49GP 7G 10A 17Pts
6 |Carl Grundström |Frölunda HC |SHL |Toronto Maple Leafs |45GP 14G 6A 20Pts
5 |Felix Sandström |Brynäs IF |SHL |Philadelphia Flyers |22GP 14W 7L 48GA 2.25GAA .908SV% 2SO
4 |Pierre Engvall |Mora IK |Allsvenskan |Toronto Maple Leafs |50GP 21G 19A 40Pts
3 |Linus Söderström |HV71 |SHL |New York Islanders |22GP 18W 4L 30GA 1.34GAA .943SV% 6SO
2 |Oskar Lindblom |Brynäs IF |SHL |Philadelphia Flyers |52GP 22G 25A 47Pts
1 |Jonathan Dahlén |Timrå IK |Allsvenskan |Vancouver Canucks |45GP 25G 19A 44Pts

What are your thoughts on Engvall's year? Is it a sign he's taking the next step, or is this a blip? Would he even bother coming over with the Leafs having such a deep system?

Howe Elbows 9

Sep 16, 2007
Sweden
Honestly, I'm not sure if it's the next step in his development or if it's a blip. Mora has had a great season and I wouldn't say that Engvall has been quite as important as Dahlén and Pettersson have been for Timrå. It'll be interesting to see if Mora plays in the SHL or Allsvenskan next season, which might decide where Engvall plays in 2017-18.

DoctorDoak

Mar 21, 2006
Ontario
Honestly, I'm not sure if it's the next step in his development or if it's a blip. Mora has had a great season and I wouldn't say that Engvall has been quite as important as Dahlén and Pettersson have been for Timrå. It'll be interesting to see if Mora plays in the SHL or Allsvenskan next season, which might decide where Engvall plays in 2017-18.

Thanks for the feedback, I can see that playing with Dahlen and Pettersson makes this season a potential outlier for him.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
A couple of guys with very slow starts have been roaring back over the last month or two.

Marcus Sylvegård had a very poor start and was producing at a similar or worse pace to that of last year in SuperElit. Recently he's been getting on the scoresheet much more frequently however and is now up to 28 points in 37 games as well as 3 points in 3 games in Allsvenskan.

Another guy that had an even slower start to the season is Fabian Zetterlund. He produced so poorly in the first couple of months of the season that it seemed like he wasn't even going to get drafted. Now all of a sudden he is up to 36 points in 40 games. Remarkable comeback from a kid who has been hyped for a couple of years.

I'm personally a big fan of Sylvegård, really like his raw skillset. I see some Anton Blidh in him. Think he definitely deserves to get picked in the late rounds.

Zetterlund I'm not as high on and think will have a tough time to make it to the show, but I haven't caught him recently so maybe he has reinvented his game a little considering the uptick in production.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad