Swedish Prospect Update Thread - Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Do we have any up and coming young potential star forwards? It seems like we are producing star defensemen at a very much higher pace than forwards at this point

What player has break out to become a star this season in NHL? It is a forward (Wennberg)

What is young? Are we talking about players that hasnt play any senior game at decent high level yet? Then probably Gunler and Holtz stands out.

I know many are very high on wernblom, and he is fun to watch but his numbers should be better, not because that they are bad but people compare him with Forsberg in talent and not just playstyle, and I do not think he is that good, plus he has size issues. I think it is easy to be charmed by his playstyle.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Anyone watching Karlskoga on a regular basis this season?

Only really caught them when playing Modo + one or two random games here and there... but:

Victor Ejdsell is terrifying.

He has allllllllways had potential but has seemingly started to find it this year.

I saw some of him watching Dahlén last season and at times he really flashed his talent. The limited games I have seen he gets free so much and gets a lot of shots on goal. Is also a PP monster, runs it from right half-boards and dishes passes every-where... then crashes net when needed. And just a terrifyingly big man with very nice hands.

Ejdsell is a bit of a 'clumsy' looking skater at times... but he is not slow in a straight line, and shows some decent edge-work too.

I mean, he just takes over games with both skill and his humongous size, not scared to throw weight around. Not bad defensively either. Works hard and has a really nice stick.

Carl Persson seems to have become one of best two-way guys in Allsvenskan overnight as well... looks a good PKer and is putting up points in not exactly expansive minutes. Good first few steps but does not seem to have the top end speed. Really quick release on his snapshot and wrister.

Surely NHL teams are looking at these guys? Both June '95 born guys who are looking better from what I have seen in the Allsvenskan than a lot of guys signed to NHL deals over last 5 years from the league.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Anyone have an idea where I can find this game? It is not on LiveArena and I don't know where else to search. Thanks!
http://stats.swehockey.se/Game/Events/303470

Joni Ikonen scores and assists, and scores two shootout goals
Lukas Elvenes scores and also has a shootout goal
Timothy Liljegren scores twice

I don't think you can access it. It was supposed to be broadcasted on LiveArena but they probably had some issue which lead to it not being broadcasted or recorded at all. LiveArena wasn't working very well in the beginning of the season.

Hammer Slammer

Mar 26, 2010
Winnipeg
I don't think you can access it. It was supposed to be broadcasted on LiveArena but they probably had some issue which lead to it not being broadcasted or recorded at all. LiveArena wasn't working very well in the beginning of the season.

Thanks! Bit of a bummer, lots of good stuff in that game.

icing

Jun 22, 2003
Sweden
Just read about this guy. 14 years old and crushing the top J18 league (players up to 18 years).

Alexander Holtz
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=344808

Sick numbers for a 14 year old boy!

The most significant stats are from the tougher and more competetive J18 Allsvenskan. As a comparison the Nylander brothers had just above a ppg average in the same league....when they where a year older....and that was pretty awsome.

Last edited:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Any info on Nils Höglander? Born 00, pretty good stats in Allsvenskan for a 16 year old, to say the least. Small though.

Saw him at the u17s in November and he looked great, was very surprised he didn't put up any points in the tournament , but he created alot of offense. Goes to show you can't just look at stats. Interesting he is playing more in Allsvenskan than in Superelit, not often a player goes essentially from J18 Elit to Allsvenskan.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Any info on Nils Höglander? Born 00, pretty good stats in Allsvenskan for a 16 year old, to say the least. Small though.

Yeah remarkable good stats for a 2019 draft player. Energetic and pretty skillfull. To bad that he is small, but hopefully he will grow little bit at least, he still young so hopefully he hasnt stop growing. To bad he wasnt born like 2 weeks later, then he could have been use for the 01 national team.

Both westerlund and Höglander has had little weird seasons, you can easily see that they are very skillfull when they play against men, but they havnt produce much in the junior league, they have actually impresse more in the senior league. That is also what worries me little bit, because it is easy to be trick by a fun energetic player that happen to score some points with a small sample size.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Carl Wassenius is someone I am keeping eye on for the late rounds of the draft.

Anyone know what is up with his 'development path' at AIK?

Was good enough in J18 last year at 16 to be full-time J20 this year.

But instead they left him to dominate J18 to an unreal degree (basically scoring 3 PPG!) and then have had him up in J20 sporadically... and he has been close to PPG there at 17 in limited games!

Not playing in the Fortsättningsseriens for them despite having made Allsvenskan debut... back in J18 seemingly.

Only a few days off being 2018 draft eligible too.

ulvvf

May 9, 2014
Carl Wassenius is someone I am keeping eye on for the late rounds of the draft.

Anyone know what is up with his 'development path' at AIK?

Was good enough in J18 last year at 16 to be full-time J20 this year.

But instead they left him to dominate J18 to an unreal degree (basically scoring 3 PPG!) and then have had him up in J20 sporadically... and he has been close to PPG there at 17 in limited games!

Not playing in the Fortsättningsseriens for them despite having made Allsvenskan debut... back in J18 seemingly.

Only a few days off being 2018 draft eligible too.

Is he not a 2018 draft player? Do not 99s have be born before 15sep to be eligable for this draft? He is born in october.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Is he not a 2018 draft player? Do not 99s have be born before 15sep to be eligable for this draft? He is born in october.

True!

I though he was September 6th for some reason... not October 6th!

Will be interesting to watch what he does over next year. Imagine he makes Sweden u18 debut pretty soon.

VictorLustig

Feb 8, 2012
Just read about this guy. 14 years old and crushing the top J18 league (players up to 18 years).

Alexander Holtz
http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=344808

Sick numbers for a 14 year old boy!

The most significant stats are from the tougher and more competetive J18 Allsvenskan. As a comparison the Nylander brothers had just above a ppg average in the same league....when they where a year older....and that was pretty awsome.

And now Jesper Wallstedt, who recently turned 14, has the highest save% in J18 Allsvenskan :amazed:

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
I would love to see a Swedish player ranking of at least 10 players for the 2017 draft, up to this point in the season. Analysis, and commentary on their ranking/progression would be interesting to read as well.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I would love to see a Swedish player ranking of at least 10 players for the 2017 draft, up to this point in the season. Analysis, and commentary on their ranking/progression would be interesting to read as well.

For me:

#1: Elias Pettersson, 6'2, 161lbs, C/LW,
#2: Timothy Liljegren, 6'0, 198lbs, RHD
#3: Lias Andersson, 5'11, 198lbs, C/LW/RW
#4: Marcus Davidsson, 6'0, 192lbs, LW/C
#5: Erik Brännström, 5'10, 170lbs, LHD
#6: Jesper Boqvist, 6'0, 180lbs, LW,
#7: Filip Westerlund, 5'11, 179lbs, RHD
#8: Rickard Hugg, 5'10, 183lbs, C/LW
#9: Lukas Elvenes, 6'0, 174lbs, RW/LW
#10: Filip Sveningsson, 6'0, 172lbs, LW
#11: Emil Bemström, 5'10, 174lbs, RW/C
#12: Adam Tilander, 6'0, 190lbs, RHD

Would be my top skaters. Tough though after 3 for me... quite a few guys with late 1st to 2nd round talent, could easily change order before years end in my mind.

#1: Olle Eriksson Ek, 6'2, 190lbs, LHG
#2: Arvid Söderblom, 6'3, 170lbs, LHG

Would be my top two goalies.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
For me:

#1: Elias Pettersson, 6'2, 161lbs, C/LW,
#2: Timothy Liljegren, 6'0, 198lbs, RHD
#3: Lias Andersson, 5'11, 198lbs, C/LW/RW
#4: Marcus Davidsson, 6'0, 192lbs, LW/C
#5: Erik Brännström, 5'10, 170lbs, LHD
#6: Jesper Boqvist, 6'0, 180lbs, LW,
#7: Filip Westerlund, 5'11, 179lbs, RHD
#8: Rickard Hugg, 5'10, 183lbs, C/LW
#9: Lukas Elvenes, 6'0, 174lbs, RW/LW
#10: Filip Sveningsson, 6'0, 172lbs, LW
#11: Emil Bemström, 5'10, 174lbs, RW/C
#12: Adam Tilander, 6'0, 190lbs, RHD

Would be my top skaters. Tough though after 3 for me... quite a few guys with late 1st to 2nd round talent, could easily change order before years end in my mind.

#1: Olle Eriksson Ek, 6'2, 190lbs, LHG
#2: Arvid Söderblom, 6'3, 170lbs, LHG

Would be my top two goalies.

Great thanks, whats the scoop on Boqvist what makes him lower than the other forwards? Seems like quite the scorer.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
I feel like Filip Westerlund is getting a bit overrated. He has high-end hockey sense yes, but he's small and not a great skater. His offensive game is a bit lacking too. I would not take him in the 2nd round, maybe not even the 3rd.

MrStench

Dec 12, 2009
Great thanks, whats the scoop on Boqvist what makes him lower than the other forwards? Seems like quite the scorer.

Boqvist is one of the purer perimeter (high-end) forwards I've seen coming out of Sweden in the last few years. He's incredibly talented, but it's less than obvious his talents will translate to North American hockey. A guy like Filip Sveningsson, though he's putting up fewer points, might be a better NHL prospect because he seems more than willing to get uncomfortable to score goals.

wings5

Jan 6, 2008
Boqvist is one of the purer perimeter (high-end) forwards I've seen coming out of Sweden in the last few years. He's incredibly talented, but it's less than obvious his talents will translate to North American hockey. A guy like Filip Sveningsson, though he's putting up fewer points, might be a better NHL prospect because he seems more than willing to get uncomfortable to score goals.

I agree , perimiter players are hit or miss, the good thing about Boqvist is his skating ability though. Alot of the scouting reports I've been reading sound alot like Panarin or Kucherov so it may be just a case of landing in the right system.

Panarin

From a scouting report perspective, he possesses an above average one-timer. He has a sneaky quick release, and an innate ability to find the soft spots in defenses and gravitate toward the right goal scoring areas. The velocity and accuracy on his wrist shot isn’t going to set the world on fire. He’s no Alex Semin in that department, but his wrist shot is certainly more than adequate. Some of the stickhandling moves he can pull off on the rush may remind some Blackhawks fans of watching Patrick Kane.

Kucherov

ASSETS:
Is a great shooter. Has an explosive skating stride and great one-on-one moves. Can beat defenders on the outside with relative frequency. Simply oozes offensive acumen. Can play either wing position.
FLAWS:
Is not very big, so he could use added strength in order to better avoid injuries and better handle physical opponents. Also, he needs to avoid the temptation to play a constant peripheral game.

Boqvist

Boqvist’s speed and puck skills can back defenders off which not only allows him to effortlessly gain entry to the offensive zone but also gives him room to operate offensively. Boqvist routinely beats defenders wide to the goal and showed deceptively good puck protection abilities in the process. A player who is fairly hard to knock off the puck despite needing to add strength to his frame, Boqvist shows impressive potential. With that being said Boqvist does lack velocity behind his shot and his accuracy is inconsistent. Inconsistent effort level away from the puck and in the defensive zone will also need to be addressed.

Sveningsson also sounds like an interesting propect too, though not as much talk about him, his skillset seems to be intriguing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad