Swedish coach...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Playmaker

Jan 8, 2004
Sweden
www.the-playmaker.net
The coach.

I think much of it comes back to Hardy, who must be the worst coach I've seen in a long time. Here are some of his mistakes:

A) Playing Peter Forsberg
-Anyone could see that 'Foppa' wasn't anywhere close to being able to play at the high level needed in the World Cup.

B) Playing Peter Forsberg on the wing.
- Foppa should've played C. He was moved to the wing to avoid that he'd take too many hits. It's Forsberg...he'll get hit wherever he plays.

C) No guts.
- He could've tested Lundqvist in one of the three first games of the Cup, but didn't. I'm certain he would've performed better than Tellqvist or Salo.

- Naslund, Foppa and/or Lidstrom should've been scratched. Neither Naslund or Lidstrom ever perform well at national team level. With the Sedins on the bench for the entire tournament - way to go, Hardy!

He also had a hot Nils Ekman on the bench, coming off a career season with the Sharks.

D) Playing dump-and-chase
- The swedes have always had more success with swift counter-attacks, where they move the puck quickly.

E) Not even selecting Michael Nylander to the squad.
- He was not selected, because he would've had to be a top 2 C for the team for Hardy to make use of him.

Who centered Foppa and Nazzy? Jorgen Jonsson, Henrik Zetterberg and Pahlsson?

I guess you could've needed Nylander now, couldn't you, Hardy?

I pray to God that this coach is fired...

Don't get me wrong, though. A lot of the blame has to go to the players as well. But the amount of problems just keep adding up...

Come on, guys. Let's blast away at Hardy. ;-)

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
martinkrantz said:
A) Playing Peter Forsberg
-Anyone could see that 'Foppa' wasn't anywhere close to being able to play at the high level needed in the World Cup.

I guess he figured that Forsberg at 50% is better than Nils Ekman at 100%

martinkrantz said:
B) Playing Peter Forsberg on the wing.
- Foppa should've played C. He was moved to the wing to avoid that he'd take too many hits. It's Forsberg...he'll get hit wherever he plays.

Sure about that? I figured he was playing wing because of his lack of training or that the fact that Forsberg is a lousy face-off man.

martinkrantz said:
D) Playing dump-and-chase
- The swedes have always had more success with swift counter-attacks, where they move the puck quickly.

Yes we've HAD more success at it, but the fact is that you need to have a decent transitional game no matter what style you play. Dump and chase is the most primitive and basic way of attack there is, surely these player should be able to execute it a little bit better than they did. I also don't think that a swedish team has the tools needed to outplay the Czechs at their own game. They are more technical and faster than the Swedes.

martinkrantz said:
E) Not even selecting Michael Nylander to the squad.
- He was not selected, because he would've had to be a top 2 C for the team for Hardy to make use of him.

Who centered Foppa and Nazzy? Jorgen Jonsson, Henrik Zetterberg and Pahlsson?

I guess you could've needed Nylander now, couldn't you, Hardy?

Agreed. Jönsson could have stayed behind.

martinkrantz said:
I pray to God that this coach is fired...

Don't get me wrong, though. A lot of the blame has to go to the players as well. But the amount of problems just keep adding up...

Come on, guys. Let's blast away at Hardy. ;-)

Sure. The man must go. But please for the love of god, lets hope that they do NOT put another oldschool swedish Curre Lundmark clone in his place. We need change and alot of it.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Robertsson 4-ever said:
Do you think Larionov would work, Riddarn? :dunno:

Probably not ;) That remark (in the other thread) was mainly a joke, but hey it would be kinda interesting :)

littleHossa

Apr 7, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
He did make one very gutsy decision, and that's in the Finland game when he pulled Tellqvist with 2:17 remaining in the period. The team scored with less than 15 seconds to go. Don't blame the coach on everything, he tried to do his part to win.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
littleHossa said:
He did make one very gutsy decision, and that's in the Finland game when he pulled Tellqvist with 2:17 remaining in the period. The team scored with less than 15 seconds to go. Don't blame the coach on everything, he tried to do his part to win.

I'm not blaming his risky offensive moves. I'm blaming the nonexistant defense and the lousy 5-on-5 hockey they played. In the end it is the coachs responsability.

Reilly311

tk1.jpg

kjri

Mar 18, 2003
Helsinki, Finland
Visit site
I think the problem is not so much Hardy's tactical decisisions , but his system. Do they have a one ;)? To me it has looked like they play some kind of a free wheeling hockey.

Seiza

Feb 28, 2002
Sweden
kjri said:
I think the problem is not so much Hardy's tactical decisisions , but his system. Do they have a one ;)? To me it has looked like they play some kind of a free wheeling hockey.

Hardy doesn't even know what a system is. Since he finally gave up his ideas about torpedo or big ice hockey, he haven't had a clue how to play. I think free wheeling hockey is an excellent description...

We need a new coach, can we borrow someone from Canada perhaps? :help:

Playmaker

Jan 8, 2004
Sweden
www.the-playmaker.net
This is starting to look like the bashing that we Avs fans had with Granato. :yo:

Riddarn, I know it is one of the reasons to put him on the wing - Hardy figured Foppa would be less physically abused if he played on a wing. But a player of his calibre will be a top priority to lay a hit on for any team.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
guinness said:
What are the other available coaches to lead Sweden?

There is no clear frontrunner and no one knows how the bosses at the federation thinks (if they do at all, higly debatable in my opinion).

Having said that, my guess would be that Pär Mårts ass. coach to the olympic winning team 1994 and last year cupwinner as head coach for HV 71 is the leading candidate right now Other candidates include Nicklas Wikegård (Djurgården), a rather tough coach, who has never won anything but has a good media reputation (he is rather outspoken), Pär Bäckman (even tougher and three times cupwinner) now at Västerås in the second tier (my favourite alternative, but probably too outspoken to ever be chosen), Bengt-Åke Gustafsson (Färjestad, 1 cup), Roger Melin (Linköping, 1 cup) and Torgny Bendelin (the coach for the national u-20 team). If, admittedly a big if, Bendelin manages to coach the juniors to a medal in Grand Forks, he will probably be propelled into the frontrunner position.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->