Swedish Captains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Riddarn said:
It's been announced that Sundin gets the C and Näslund & Lidström gets the A's.

Not totally unexpected.

Agreed.

In fact, I would make Lidstrom the C since he won 3 Stanley Cups...

Never a Red Wing fan, but always liked Lidstrom...

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
go kim johnsson said:
Agreed.

In fact, I would make Lidstrom the C since he won 3 Stanley Cups...

Never a Red Wing fan, but always liked Lidstrom...

Sundin wears the C for Sweden because the other players feel he's the most inspirational player on the team, from what I understand. He's always willing to step up and play for Sweden whenever called upon. Lidstrom is sort of funny, in that for a guy who was rumoured to want to go back to Sweden, his principal loyalty seems to be to the Detroit Red Wings first and foremost (one of the many reasons he rules). In Sweden Lidstrom often gets criticized for not playing in tournaments like the world championships if he's eligible. He did play this year, but historically hasn't been interested.

Sweden certainly has no shortage of guys with leadership ability.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
mahovlich said:
As player i would sure as heck look up to Forsberg,wonder why he does'nt have as much as the "A" ???????

I'm pretty sure most players in the swedish team looks up to Sundin, Lidström and Näslund too. Those players aren't exactly nobodys. Even if Forsberg is a better point-per-game player than Sundin, that doesn't make him a great captain. As far as I know, he's never been captain in the national team or the NHL or the SEL. Maybe he was at junior level, I don't know. Maybe there's a reason.

Edit: I had thought, maybe the coaching staff wants Forsberg to concentrate on the game 100% and lets others wear the C and A's to take pressure off him. :dunno:

Last edited:

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
mahovlich said:
Some good points there, maybe that's the reason.Still, with the way he plays and how good he is you would think he is captain material.I'm sure the reason he is not captain in Colorado is because Sakic is a darn good captain and he was captain before foppa arrived.If Sakic's career was over because of an injury tommorow i really think Forsberg would get named as captain by the players and coaches in a heartbeat. Maybe not but i think he would. Was'nt Forsberg captain of the Swedish junior team in 1993? If not i can't remember who was, Naslund? Kenny Jonnson? do you remember?

he'd still be behind 1. foote and 2. blake in my oppinion. although he's arguably the most productive player in the league when healthy, he's never struck me as captain material personally. not that it's a knock on him, but he's always seemed to be a little bit of a loner (for lack of a better term). just shows up, quietly takes care of business, goes home

*before everyone goes and loses their mind over this, let me point out that i'm not saying he's not a great player, and i'm not saying he's not passionate*

mole

May 7, 2002
Top line, baby
Visit site
Forsberg is in my opinion a) way too introvert and b) way too prone to 'unwise' decisions to be a captain. Giving the letters to others is definitely better.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
arrbez said:
he'd still be behind 1. foote and 2. blake in my oppinion. although he's arguably the most productive player in the league when healthy, he's never struck me as captain material personally. not that it's a knock on him, but he's always seemed to be a little bit of a loner (for lack of a better term). just shows up, quietly takes care of business, goes home

*before everyone goes and loses their mind over this, let me point out that i'm not saying he's not a great player, and i'm not saying he's not passionate*

I doubt he is behind Blake, who is a mercenary and hasn't been a member of the team for anywhere near as long. Foote is probably next behind Sakic, although it's doubtful he will ever wear the C since I wouldn't be surprised if he retired before Sakic does.

Lidstrom is a near-lock to succeed Yzerman in Detroit in a year or two, unless he retires as well.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
mole said:
Forsberg is in my opinion a) way too introvert and b) way too prone to 'unwise' decisions to be a captain. Giving the letters to others is definitely better.

introvert...there's the word i was looking for

bling

Jun 23, 2004
mahovlich said:
I'm just wondering what you are referring to about when you say Forsberg is prone to "unwise" decisions.I'm assuming you don't mean his decisions on the ice as he makes precious little errors there.Is there something about his personal life that would be a cause for concern?I've never heard anything negative about him in that area.Let me know :)

Foppa is not one to want the C. He has too much of a temper and too short a fuse to be effective. He knows this as does his team mates. He is fine as an Alternate because there are clearer heads to calm him.

I say this as a huge Forsberg fan, it is not a knock on him in any way. Some players just have the Captain temperment, Peter is not one of them. He will be the first to admit this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad