Swedes

Shec8576

Feb 14, 2013
Ottawa, Canada
To be honest I love the Swedes on this team to the point where Sweden is the only country other then Canada i'd wish well upon if the NHL goes to the olympics. I'd have a really hard time saying which young Swede will be the best but i have a feeling it will be Lehner. You can see the potential big time whenever he plays and he's miles ahead of almost every goaltender in the AHL.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
Crazy.

And on a team with no help what so ever. Imagine Karlsson with the same supposting cast as Chris Letang.

:amazed:

I don't think Spezza, Alfredsson, Michalek, Turris, Gonchar (and several others developing) is "no help what so ever"

Players outside of Malkin and Crosby are not scrap... There's a ton of quality players in the NHL.

Gosh, I hate statements like that, so ignorant and dumb. It's not like the Sens were the 4th in goals scoring last year (despite a lot of rookies), huh?

Karlsson - Crosby would be the deadliest duo in the league. Not close.

I would move to Pittsburgh and become a Penguins fan most likely. Can not... stay away... from awesomeness...

I hope it answers some questions for some people who were still doubting.

I guess some people were hoping for hossa like rookie numbers(0.5ppg). Though less skilled then hossa, he is older and more experienced then hossa's rookie year. I was expecting 35 points over 82 games... I'm not dissapointed as i think the second half might be a lot more productive then the first half.

I just don't think to expect 19-20 year old hossa numbers out of 22 year old silfverberg was too much to ask, and he's not delievered that much, so i'm not in disbelief that others could be disappointed thus far. If someone told me he'd have 6 points in his first 24 games, i'd say "oh, i was expecting more".

I know it's not all about stats in their first year, but many people are all about results and you can't really blame them.

Hard to have realistic expectations in a 48 games season. A lockout season is just "****ed up" in terms of stats and has to be taken with a big grain of salt.

Magix

Oct 10, 2010
Zibanejad has been great and has hopefully proved all the doubters wrong. Silfverberg, I honestly expected more out of but I know some players take more time than others to get going. Alfie is a shell of what he was a couple of years ago which is understandable.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Being Swedish and having a job that doesn't really work too well with staying up til the early mornings, I haven't watched Ottawa too much the last few weeks. Kinda since Karlsson went down.

How are the other Swedes doing?

It seems like Silfverberg doesn't register a lot of points despits a fair amount of ice-time? Alfie seems to be "off" as well?

Zibanejad has scored a couple of goals the last few games, but aside from that?

Karlsson still has the most goals on the team despite only having played 14 out of 24 games....jeeez

Lehner.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I wonder what poster was known for talking about Swedes like crazy a couple years ago and now the entire core is mostly Swedish :sarcasm:

No seriously, bow down before me.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
Does anyone else think Silf and Mika can get as good as EK?

No...just...no.

EK could be a generational talent considering what he did last year and how he looked before his injury this year...I am all for outsized expectations and being excited for the future but that my friend is a stretch.

Let's hope they both continue to progress and become consistent contributors and THEN we get into the crazy talk!! ;)

John Holmes*

Hard to have realistic expectations in a 48 games season. A lockout season is just "****ed up" in terms of stats and has to be taken with a big grain of salt.

Very true. Especially with all the injuries the team has had.

It takes more than 20 games to adjust to the NHL, but with this wacky schedule and the fact that our best players have missed significant time, it isn't making it any easier.

I think Silfverberg is going to adjust eventually. His shot is going to get him a lot of opportunities. Once he figures out how to make a little room for himself, he's going to score a lot of goals.

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
No...just...no.

EK could be a generational talent considering what he did last year and how he looked before his injury this year...I am all for outsized expectations and being excited for the future but that my friend is a stretch.

Let's hope they both continue to progress and become consistent contributors and THEN we get into the crazy talk!! ;)

I do believe that Karlsson will raise their level of play however.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
I don't think I've missed a game despite Karlssons injury.

I can only agree with the people saying that father time is catching up to Alfredsson. Zibanejad has been alright.

I disagree with the people being hard on Silfverberg. Out of these 3, he's been the best IMO . The players that really stood out on this team are on the injury list. The Swedes has contributed just as the rest of the team has.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
I think the only one with a chance on our team of becoming like Karlsson is Silfverberg and just because of the way that he absolutely dominated in the SEL and improved every year. I wouldn't count on it at all, but it wouldn't completely shock me based on his work ethic and talent.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Lehner as well.

He will be among the top 5 goalies in the league and with Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Gryba etc.. holding the fort for the foreseeable future playing in MacLean's system, it should be able to allow him to post up ridiculous numbers with multiple Vezina nominations. Fingers crossed.

Oyabun

Dec 29, 2009
Lehner as well.

He will be among the top 5 goalies in the league and with Karlsson, Cowen, Ceci, Gryba etc.. holding the fort for the foreseeable future playing in MacLean's system, it should be able to allow him to post up ridiculous numbers with multiple Vezina nominations. Fingers crossed.

With the way Anderson was playing before the injury, Lehner might have a Vezina goalie standing in his way.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lehner as well.

Sorry, yeah I was just talking about skaters. Lehner definitely has the potential to be one of the elite goalies in the league. Although I don't know when he's going to get his chance thanks to Anderson's emergence.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
No...just...no.

I would say yes, but it's silly to expect it.

4 years ago after karlsson got drafted you'd say "no...just...no" to someone saying "karlsson is going to win a norris in 3 years"

So many good players come out of nowhere that to say it's impossible for these skilled top prospects to become allstars is wrong imo.

For all we know, prince could be an 80 point player in 3 years and i could use him as an example just like i used karlsson.

Unlikely, but i would say "yes they CAN/COULD"...it's just a small chance though.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Zibanejad has been great and has hopefully proved all the doubters wrong. Silfverberg, I honestly expected more out of but I know some players take more time than others to get going. Alfie is a shell of what he was a couple of years ago which is understandable.

Zibanejad IMO has pushed Da Costa down on the depth chart & replaced him in Ottawa.

I wonder what poster was known for talking about Swedes like crazy a couple years ago and now the entire core is mostly Swedish :sarcasm:

No seriously, bow down before me.

First, Regin is a Dane not a Swede lol & a lot of people on here have been high on the Swedes. In fact, I wrote extensively about Silfverberg in his first development camp before he had his breakout season in Sweden. I was also one of the people who wanted Ottawa to draft Couturier but I'm okay with Zibanejad & in fact, wanted him over Da Costa to be called up & IMO has passed him. Both Silfverberg & Zibanejad are going to be players for this team as is Lehner next season. Along with Karlsson I'm hoping for a very bright future for this team. But these Swedes also need to be protected for them to play without fear of being beat up & play to their potential.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->