Sweden's Defense vs. Canada's Defense

felixhockey

Jan 28, 2016
The two best defenses in the world for me...
I think that Canada has more depth, but since you can only ice 6 defensemen.. I think Sweden's is better!

Sweden:
Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg
Ekholm - Stralman

More: Dahlin, Lindholm, Klefbom, Larsson, Hjalmarsson, Brodin

Canada: (Holy crap relax with the right-handed d)
Subban - Doughty
Vlasic - Burns
Rielly - Pietrangelo

More: Keith, Barrie, Letang, Muzzin, Theodore, Ekblad, Ellis, Weber

Thoughts? Again just an opinion, but I feel Canada's D is dropping off

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Sweden:

Hedman - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg
Lindholm - Dahlin
Larsson - Brodin

Canada:

Keith - Letang
Muzzin - Weber
Bouwmeester - Doughty
Rielly - Ellis

My discuss are 50-50 or Swedish defense are stronger easy way for twice champions 2017 and 2018 in hockey and next year we seen if Great Britain will rise from Finnish group stage. Russian defense is lack but Czechs have new generation by solid defense and Finland have Vatanen, Jokiharju and Ristolainen world class defense. Finland is 4th place in world teams in defense. Czech Republic, Sweden then Canada are very good skills.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Sweden has the more gifted offensive defensemen but Canada's group is better overall. I also think the U.S. compares favorably:

Jones/Werenski
Suter/Carlson
Gostisbehere/McAvoy

Reactions: razor ray

HC7

May 2, 2018
Can someone tell me how many of the Swedish D changed from when Sweden lost to Team Europe? Thanks.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Can someone tell me how many of the Swedish D changed from when Sweden lost to Team Europe? Thanks.
You mean in that gimmick tournament? That tournament has absolutely no credibility. The Swedish D is improving pretty well, Dahlin coming and guys like Liljegren, Brannstrom, and others should they develop properly should certainly provide a boost. You're literally basing your arguments from an Olympic tournament from 4 years ago and an absolutely horrible gimmick tournament from 2 years ago. You haven't made a case at any point.

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
Hedman - Stralman
Ekholm - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg
Dahlin

Doughty - Weber
Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Pietrangelo
Subban

Doughty and Hedman are a wash.
Edge to Karlsson over Burns.
But then Weber over Stralman, Vlasic over Ekholm, Keith over OEL, Pietrangelo over Klingberg, Subban over Dahlin.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
Hedman - Stralman
Ekholm - Karlsson
OEL - Klingberg
Dahlin

Doughty - Weber
Vlasic - Burns
Keith - Pietrangelo
Subban

Doughty and Hedman are a wash.
Edge to Karlsson over Burns.
But then Weber over Stralman, Vlasic over Ekholm, Keith over OEL, Pietrangelo over Klingberg, Subban over Dahlin.

Keith is old and completely fell off a cliff along with the entire Hawks team, he's not the Norris contender he was in his prime. OEL is much younger and has proven that he can play a high level of hockey when he's not drowning in hockey's factory of sadness known as the Coyotes.

I mean sure Subban is better than Dahlin...but the kid is just about to be drafted and has yet to play an NHL game...

ismelofhockey

Oct 22, 2017
I don't think Keith is done. One bad season does not end a perrenial Norris contender's career. Dahlin may very well be better than Subban as soon as next year. But right now I take Subban.
Even if Keith has fallen off a cliff for good, replace him with Subban (whom I also prefer to OEL), and insert whichever one of Letang, Ellis, Giordano, Rielly, Ekblad or Parayko. All are better than what Sweden has to offer as a 7th. (I forgot Lindholm... that makes it fairly even actually.)

Canada still takes it though.

cg98

Oct 10, 2017
I don't think Keith is done. One bad season does not end a perrenial Norris contender's career. Dahlin may very well be better than Subban as soon as next year. But right now I take Subban.
Even if Keith has fallen off a cliff for good, replace him with Subban (whom I also prefer to OEL), and insert whichever one of Letang, Ellis, Giordano, Rielly, Ekblad or Parayko. All are better than what Sweden has to offer as a 7th. (I forgot Lindholm... that makes it fairly even actually.)

Canada still takes it though.
It's not about just this season. It's not like Duncan Keith is the young freak of nature he was 5-10 years ago, he's turning 35 years old. It showed this season, his legs lost their speed, he was losing battles left and right that he wasn't losing as often before, and it showed that he's not able to carry the back end like he did when he was a perennial Norris contender. He could prove me wrong for sure, but as far as competing for Team Canada in any best on best tournaments, I think his days are done unfortunately.

Also Subban, Pietro, Giordano and Doughty aren't getting younger either. Ekblad showed this year in Denmark that he isn't ready for Canada's A team, Rielly had a good showing in Moscow 2 years ago but I think he needs to take another step to be fully considered for Canada's A team, Letang hasn't been selected for a Canadian team for reasons that every Penguins fan will ramble on about non-stop. I agree with Ellis and Parayko.

I think Sweden and Canada's D are pretty even in a general head to head matchup.

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
Sweden are strongest defense in the league and cross this planet then Czech Republic and Canada and Finland.

Thenameless

Apr 29, 2014
I'll take the team that gave up the least amount of goals at Sochi.

It doesn't mean that our current D is better though. Even in Sochi, I suspect that our forwards and goaltending had something to do with the awesome goals against numbers.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Is it your shtick to just get the most bewildered reactions out of everyone, posting stuff like that?

Seems like you do it an awful lot, in the one week you've been here. :laugh:

Reactions: 99664987

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
The fact that Lindholm isn't in every Sweden top-six is testament to their insane blueline.

Hedman - Karlsson
Lindholm - Klingberg
OEL - Ekholm/Stralman/Klefbom/Dahlin

Reactions: Morrison

McCoy

Jun 11, 2018
The fact that Lindholm isn't in every Sweden top-six is testament to their insane blueline.

Hedman - Karlsson
Lindholm - Klingberg
OEL - Ekholm/Stralman/Klefbom/Dahlin

Pär Lindholm is top-6 for my interest.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad