Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leetchie

Mar 3, 2002
Hillsborough, NJ
Visit site
Fulcrum said:
So, what are their chances, who's captain? Are the goalies ready?

I'm gonna guess Markus Naslund ends up being captain, with Mats Sundin being a close second.

Is Henrik Lundqvist ready? We'll see. He's got plenty of international experience but never against a bunch of NHL All-Star teams (that actually play with passion, not like in the All-Star Game). As a Rangers fan, I hope he does well. :)

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Leetchie said:
I'm gonna guess Markus Naslund ends up being captain, with Mats Sundin being a close second.

Is Henrik Lundqvist ready? We'll see. He's got plenty of international experience but never against a bunch of NHL All-Star teams (that actually play with passion, not like in the All-Star Game). As a Rangers fan, I hope he does well. :)

I don't think Näslund will become captain. He's one of the candidates though.

Players who can become captain:

1. Mats Sundin
2. Jörgen Jönsson
3. Nicklas Lidström
4. Mattias Norström
5. Markus Näslund

Sundin is the most probably choice. Like Steve Yzerman is revered for his leadership in north america Sundin is always thought of as the Big Leader here in sweden. Jörgen Jönsson is a clear 2nd choice since he's been the captain of the World Championship team the last 3-4 years and he has also played well over 200 games in the national team, more than anyone else on the roster. Lidström, Norström and Näslund are good candidates as well but there is a clear distance between the 1-2 guys and the 3-5 guys.

Dark horses: Daniel Alfredsson, Peter Forsberg, Henrik Zetterberg (Yes! This kid has all the qualities of a real captain!)

Goalie is a big problem. I hope they go with either Tellqvist or Lundqvist because both play a more modern style of goaltending than Salo. Salo might be a guy that can play exceptional in a few games but he can also be lousy. The younger guys have a more even level.

Swedens chances are pretty good on paper, but if they reach the semis then I'm happy. They will choke once again. :banghead:

Poikilitic

Apr 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
Riddarn said:
I don't think Näslund will become captain. He's one of the candidates though.

Players who can become captain:

1. Mats Sundin
2. Jörgen Jönsson
3. Nicklas Lidström
4. Mattias Norström
5. Markus Näslund

Sundin is the most probably choice. Like Steve Yzerman is revered for his leadership in north america Sundin is always thought of as the Big Leader here in sweden. Jörgen Jönsson is a clear 2nd choice since he's been the captain of the World Championship team the last 3-4 years and he has also played well over 200 games in the national team, more than anyone else on the roster. Lidström, Norström and Näslund are good candidates as well but there is a clear distance between the 1-2 guys and the 3-5 guys.

Dark horses: Daniel Alfredsson, Peter Forsberg, Henrik Zetterberg (Yes! This kid has all the qualities of a real captain!)

Goalie is a big problem. I hope they go with either Tellqvist or Lundqvist because both play a more modern style of goaltending than Salo. Salo might be a guy that can play exceptional in a few games but he can also be lousy. The younger guys have a more even level.

Swedens chances are pretty good on paper, but if they reach the semis then I'm happy. They will choke once again. :banghead:
I really hope they dont choke again....Belorussia... :cry:

Petey21

Dec 19, 2003
Sweden
www.geocities.com
I think the C will be worn by Sundin, the A's will be worn by Alfredsson and either Lidström, Näslund or Jönsson (Jönsson might not be very wellknown outside of Sweden but he as alot of international experience and is a good leader, but with a team based on NHL players it's not a given that he'll wear even an A).

Goalies, well that's hard to say, I think the talent is there but other than Salo the goalies are pretty inexperienced, Lundqvist is a great goalie but has never played in the smaller rinks yet, so I would think Tellqvist and Salo will be the main goalies.

Riddarn

1980-2011
Aug 2, 2003
Petey21 said:
..or Jönsson (Jönsson might not be very wellknown outside of Sweden but he as alot of international experience and is a good leader, but with a team based on NHL players it's not a given that he'll wear even an A).

Perhaps. If he gets a spot on the starting lineup then I say it's not unlikely that he'll get an A or even the C. He is, after all, one of Hardy's favourites.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
This is a serious question - but has there ever been a time where Sundin hasn't been captain of the Swedish squad ?

I'm looking for examples besides when he was young (i.e. WJC or his first senior international tournament or any tournament where he joined the team while the team started and only played 1-2 games max).

Poikilitic

Apr 1, 2004
Toronto, Ontario
hmm i also think Sundin gonna wear the C. I always enjoy it when he's captain. I really hope they can do it this year! (i dont want Canada to win it again or USA) :D

Roughneck

Oct 15, 2003
Calgary
Visit site
Sundin will be captain for a couple of reasons:

---He's always captain

---Despite their being many other candidates, some arguably more deserving, he is a senior member of the team, and in international tournaments, its usually better to give it to the old guys ;)

As for their chances, I'd say that they would be considered the #2 team behind Canada even with the questionable goaltending.

BlueAndWhite

Mar 1, 2002
Toronto
Visit site
Roughneck said:
---Despite their being many other candidates, some arguably more deserving, he is a senior member of the team, and in international tournaments, its usually better to give it to the old guys ;)
I'm just curious as to who is more deserving than Sundin ? Jorgen Jonsson seems to be one candidate...

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
BlueAndWhite said:
This is a serious question - but has there ever been a time where Sundin hasn't been captain of the Swedish squad ?

I'm looking for examples besides when he was young (i.e. WJC or his first senior international tournament or any tournament where he joined the team while the team started and only played 1-2 games max).
Calle Johansson was the captain at the Nagano Olympics with Sundin and Lidström wearing the A. But expect Mats to be the captain this time, anything else would seem very strange.

Kronblom

Nov 27, 2002
Stockholm
Captains for Team Sweden since 1996

1996 World Championships: Jonas Bergkvist *
1996 Word Cup: Calle Johansson
1997 World Championships: Stefan Nilsson *
1998 Olympics: Calle Johansson
1998 World Championships: Mats Sundin
1999 World Championships: Nichlas Falk *
2000 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson *
2001 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson (Mats played the last 2 games)
2002 Olympics: Mats Sundin
2002 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson *
2003 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson (Mats missed the first 2 games)
2004 World Championships: Jörgen Jönsson *
2004 World Cup: ?

*: Mats Sundin didn´t participate

VOB

Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Visit site
Fulcrum said:
So, what are their chances, who's captain? Are the goalies ready?

I am actually predicting that they will win the tournament. It will also be Lundqvist big coming out party as well. Yeah I know people will say that Team Sweden with Lindstrom and Forsburg couldn't beat Canada's "B" team this past spring at the World Championship but everything will come together for the Swedes in September and they will skate away as champions. They are past due.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->