Sweden?

NAI77

Feb 18, 2006
NY
How important is it for Sweden to win both the WC and Olympics in the same year? It seems to me a little bit suspicious that the Red Wings and Rangers are already out, with Lundqvist and Lidstrom playing horribly, and that the Flyers are on the brink of elimination despite two admittedly heroic games by Foppa. Even Modin has been horrible in this post season. Alfredsson had 4 points in 5 games whereas Heatley and Spezza had 10 each. I think the Swedes need to realize that the Olympics are more important than the World Championship in hockey terms, they've already won that and that should be enough for that core group. If they care more about winning the World Championship then they do about their employers I think that they should leave their North American clubs. Even if you don't believe that Swedes are deliberately losing in North America, you have to admit the timing is a little odd, especially considering that players like Lidstrom and Lundqvist were among the best players in the league during the regular season.

MartinFr

Feb 16, 2006
Kalmar
:nopity:

What are you talking about?

Lundqvist wont play, he's injuried.
Lidström wont play.
Modin wont play.
Alfredsson has played good and he's not in the same line as Spezza and Heatley in the playoffs.

15+ Swedish NHL players has turned down offers to play in Riga, as for now the team only has players from the SEL/other european leagues. The only players who will join from Detroit is Zetterberg and Kronwall, and you can't say that they didn't show up in the playoffs.

Last edited:

johnny_rudeboy

Mar 20, 2006
Karlstad
NAI77 said:
How important is it for Sweden to win both the WC and Olympics in the same year? It seems to me a little bit suspicious that the Red Wings and Rangers are already out, with Lundqvist and Lidstrom playing horribly, and that the Flyers are on the brink of elimination despite two admittedly heroic games by Foppa. Even Modin has been horrible in this post season. Alfredsson had 4 points in 5 games whereas Heatley and Spezza had 10 each. I think the Swedes need to realize that the Olympics are more important than the World Championship in hockey terms, they've already won that and that should be enough for that core group. If they care more about winning the World Championship then they do about their employers I think that they should leave their North American clubs. Even if you don't believe that Swedes are deliberately losing in North America, you have to admit the timing is a little odd, especially considering that players like Lidstrom and Lundqvist were among the best players in the league during the regular season.

:biglaugh: :biglaugh: :biglaugh:

I need to print this one out and frame it and hang it on the wall to look at for some day when I need a big laugh.

KRM

Jun 9, 2005
Gothenburg
And what about Näslund, he has tried too suck as much as possible this season just too play in Riga, oh wait....

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
NAI77 said:

Also what about Australia. Are we really expected to believe a country that size doesn't have some excellent hockey players that could play at the NHL level? Are they saving them for some kind of surprise attack? Even if you don't believe this is the case you have to admit it's all very suspicious.

NAI77

Feb 18, 2006
NY
I don't see why everyone has to be so hurtful with their responses. I'm just trying to bring up a point and instead of the expected responses of "Excellent post, NAI77, I hadn't thought of that" I am instead mocked by comedic geniuses such as Crosbyfan. Hockey in Australia? It was a comedic masterstroke and I bow to you. First I thought you were being serious, I thought you were backing me up. But then I was like "Wait, hockey and Australia, something here doesn't add up". That's when I realized I was a victim of your piercing sarcasm, a potent form of humor undetectable to all but the most sophisticated readers. I hope that I can in the future remain unscathed by your barbs, I really do.

Slitty

Oct 23, 2005
Sweden has the 2nd best European team after Russia, they may win without NHLers. :cheers:

bling

Jun 23, 2004
NAI77 said:
I don't see why everyone has to be so hurtful with their responses. I'm just trying to bring up a point and instead of the expected responses of "Excellent post, NAI77, I hadn't thought of that" I am instead mocked by comedic geniuses such as Crosbyfan. Hockey in Australia? It was a comedic masterstroke and I bow to you. First I thought you were being serious, I thought you were backing me up. But then I was like "Wait, hockey and Australia, something here doesn't add up". That's when I realized I was a victim of your piercing sarcasm, a potent form of humor undetectable to all but the most sophisticated readers. I hope that I can in the future remain unscathed by your barbs, I really do.

The premise of your post was stupid and deserved nothing but ridicule. If you write a post expressly for the reason to be praised and touted as a clever fellow, chances are it is not worthy of such praise.

The facts are that the majority (if not all) of the Swedes you speak of would rather play in the Stanley Cup playoffs than the World Championships. They would never think to tank in order to get free of their playoff obligations to go play in the WC's.

You obviously do not know much about professional hockey players or the heart and commitment they have.

yarre

Oct 13, 2005
Gothenburg
:biglaugh:

That was one of the most funniest post I have ever read, your point would have been a little valid if actually any of the swedes you mentioned are going to Riga to play, we are getting fewer NHL-players to this world championship, not more.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad