Olympics: Sweden Roster Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Coming from a canuck fan:

-I'll be hesistant to pick edler on the team, he can be very good offensively, but is prone to a lot of mistakes.

-Douglas Murray should be a lock on defense, he should be part of the shutdown pair against the other team's power forward line.

-Hammer, Grossman, Tallinder, are all underrated dman. I think at least 2 should make it.

-What no holmstrom?

- I think it would be foolish not to pick huselius, this is a player with a very high skill level, in a short tournament he can be very valuable.

-I really hope samuelsson is not picked, even with the twins, he looks average at best. I think louis eriksson or franzen will work very well with the twins.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
We should have a puck mover/offensive defenceman and a defensive "stay-at-home defenceman" in every pairing, that way we can split them up to play both PP and PK, and then even out the ice time.

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Murray-Enstrom

Oduya-Ohlund

Stralman

PK1

Lidstrom-Kronwall

PK2

Murray-Oduya/Ohlund (splitting the time)

PP1

Lidstrom-Kronwall

PP2

Enstrom-Stralman/Oduya

Grossman, Hjalmarsson, Hedman, Edler etc., aren't good enough at what they do to grant them a spot on the Olympic team.

Locks MUST BE

Lidstrom
Kronwall
Murray
Enstrom

If a defender from the SEL, for instance M.Johansson, gets a sport....I'll kill my self.

thefifthsedin*

mika hannula is a lock ... but this time only on the first tee :golfnana:

i would play

henrik lundqvist, mikael tellqvist, daniel larsson

nicklas lidström, niklas kronwall, mattias öhlund, alexander edler, tobias enström, niklas hjalmarsson

henrik sedin, daniel sedin, henrik zetterberg, daniel alfredsson, nicklas bäckström, peter forsberg, loui eriksson, tomas holmström, per johan axelsson, patrik berglund, mikael samuelsson, oscar möller

and johan franzen if he is healthy

canuckhound73

Might be no Alfredsson now.

I am seriously running out of healthy bodies to fill a competent line up with for these guys. This keeps up, I'll have to pencil in Naslund or something as bad like a meatball or something. Its possible Forsberg might not be the only SEL guy on the roster by the time the Olympics come around if the NHL guys keep dropping at the rate they are. I already have Tom Wandell pencilled in because I dont expect Franzen back buy then. Weinhandl & Martensson are already considered on my roster, but who is next? Sjostrom??? Axelsson? I am legitimately running out of names to fill my maybe roster with, let alone the real roster.

Macke*

Can players still be subbed in after the team is named? I think that's what happened last time with Holmstrom.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Fopa might\likely will not be there at all, while Weinhandl is a lock by now.

Why is Forsberg not likely? Because BÅG is playing some game with the media? C'mon we all know he'd be freaking crusified if he didn't name him, and he has wanted him in every single EHT-tournament for a reason. Even the foot is okay! I'm more worried about Franzén, he's really one of this team's most important pieces. It would really suck if he can't make it :cry:

Ah good, so that improves Naslund's chances.

You'll see damnit.

I'm afraid not, since Näslund was retired he is not one of the invitees. They tried to get Bergfors to this list early this month but he wasn't allowed due to doping rules. So sorry, no Näslund going to the Olympics.

Macke*

Why is Forsberg not likely? Because BÅG is playing some game with the media? C'mon we all know he'd be freaking crusified if he didn't name him, and he has wanted him in every single EHT-tournament for a reason. Even the foot is okay! I'm more worried about Franzén, he's really one of this team's most important pieces. It would really suck if he can't make it :cry:

I'm afraid not, since Näslund was retired he is not one of the invitees. They tried to get Bergfors to this list early this month but he wasn't allowed due to doping rules. So sorry, no Näslund going to the Olympics.

Oh I heard they did get someone added to the list earlier.. i see.

Well pfft i'm just happy they came back to MoDo when everyone said they wouldn't.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Oh I heard they did get someone added to the list earlier.. i see.

Well pfft i'm just happy they came back to MoDo when everyone said they wouldn't.

Yep, they actually did get Bergfors added first. But WADA(or whatever) said no because in theory he could've used steroids before he earned a spot and it would damage their credibility

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
Yep, they actually did get Bergfors added first. But WADA(or whatever) said no because in theory he could've used steroids before he earned a spot and it would damage their credibility
Pretty bad by them not to have Bergfors on the list. They could have added every Swede alive, there was no limit.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Pretty bad by them not to have Bergfors on the list. They could have added every Swede alive, there was no limit.

Yeah :S Hedberg was an even bigger mistake. I still can't believe how Modig made the top8 list of goaltenders. Guy is aspiring to the top20 at the very best :shakehead

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
wonder what are the chances they might actually go with the Tony MÃ¥rtensson - Weinhandl duo

how'd those two do in that Channel One Cup

Systemfel

<b><i>Hockey Talk by Country</b></i>
Jun 20, 2004
Gothenburg
wonder what are the chances they might actually go with the Tony MÃ¥rtensson - Weinhandl duo

how'd those two do in that Channel One Cup
They did very good. Weinhandl had four goals and MÃ¥rtensson assisted on three of them (I think). We're too deep at center for MÃ¥rtensson to go too, though. Also, Weinhandl has proved that he can be successful without Tony.

But obviously, you never know with BÃ…G.

Ziostilon

Feb 14, 2009
They did very good. Weinhandl had four goals and MÃ¥rtensson assisted on three of them (I think). We're too deep at center for MÃ¥rtensson to go too, though. Also, Weinhandl has proved that he can be successful without Tony.

But obviously, you never know with BÃ…G.

do you think the Sedins - Weinhandl magic is still there. its been like 9, 10 years

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
There is no one in the SEL or KHL, good enough to get a spot in Swedens Olympic team - aside from Forsberg.

We need toughness, and the only players with some toughness and the willingness and capability to stand up to tough Canadians are Murray, Ohlund. If paired with great puck movers, they could fill their roles and get time on the PK.

I don't like Ohlund any more though, perhaps Oduya or Grossman could fill his spot.

Btw, if Canada wanted a player in their Olympic team that hadn't been put on their list like Bergfors, they would still be able to get him accepted.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
There is no one in the SEL or KHL, good enough to get a spot in Swedens Olympic team - aside from Forsberg.

We need toughness, and the only players with some toughness and the willingness and capability to stand up to tough Canadians are Murray, Ohlund. If paired with great puck movers, they could fill their roles and get time on the PK.

I don't like Ohlund any more though, perhaps Oduya or Grossman could fill his spot.

Btw, if Canada wanted a player in their Olympic team that hadn't been put on their list like Bergfors, they would still be able to get him accepted.

Canada would never consider taking a rookie/"unknown" coming into a season anyways, if Crosby(read generational talent) doesn't make it nobody will. Moot point.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
We need toughness,

Murray
Ohlund
Hjalmarsson
Kronwall
Grossman
Oduya
Hedman
Edler
N Wallin
S Kronwall
Ragnarsson
Samuelsson
Ericsson
Holmstrom
Hornqvist
Wandell
Berglund
Pahlsson
Sjostrom
Stalberg
Franzen
Moller
Thuresson
Ritola
Steen
Nilson
Nilsson
Lundqvist

Gritty players..

Maelmoor

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 20, 2004
Stockholm, Sweden
We should have a puck mover/offensive defenceman and a defensive "stay-at-home defenceman" in every pairing, that way we can split them up to play both PP and PK, and then even out the ice time.

Lidstrom-Kronwall

Murray-Enstrom

Oduya-Ohlund

Stralman

PK1

Lidstrom-Kronwall

PK2

Murray-Oduya/Ohlund (splitting the time)

PP1

Lidstrom-Kronwall

PP2

Enstrom-Stralman/Oduya

Grossman, Hjalmarsson, Hedman, Edler etc., aren't good enough at what they do to grant them a spot on the Olympic team.

Locks MUST BE

Lidstrom
Kronwall
Murray
Enstrom

If a defender from the SEL, for instance M.Johansson, gets a sport....I'll kill my self.

Why pick Oduya over Hjalmarsson?

Hjalmarsson have been better in every department this season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad