Sweden Rinks Ice Dimensions

hockeyFan029

Mar 29, 2022
The IIHF wants to change all international competitions to use NHL sized ice (60x26)m instead of (60x30)m used in Europe. I included sources below. I heard the KHL has switched most of their ice to NHL size or Finnish size (60x28)m. European fans from countries such as Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Czechia, Slovakia I was wondering if your hockey federations/leagues were also thinking of changing to NHL sized ice now or in the near future. I think it would help the development of young players playing in Europe because after watching the Spengler Cup it seems more like soccer than hockey, and compared to the world juniors, the difference is huge. Please let me know. Thank you.

OskarOskarius

Jan 7, 2019
The IIHF wants to change all international competitions to use NHL sized ice (60x26)m instead of (60x30)m used in Europe. I included sources below. I heard the KHL has switched most of their ice to NHL size or Finnish size (60x28)m. European fans from countries such as Switzerland, Sweden, Finland, Germany, Czechia, Slovakia I was wondering if your hockey federations/leagues were also thinking of changing to NHL sized ice now or in the near future. I think it would help the development of young players playing in Europe because after watching the Spengler Cup it seems more like soccer than hockey, and compared to the world juniors, the difference is huge. Please let me know. Thank you.
I think Swedish fans would be against a dictator style directive from Switzerland of all countries. But if a team wants to change to a small rink let them. Wouldn’t it be possible to expand capacity if you did? By adding front seats, some teams are att 100 % capacity and could use an addition of say 1000 seats.

Reactions: Lackhalak

Yozhik v tumane

Jan 2, 2019
I’ve appreciated the different flavors of international and NHL style hockey historically, and I enjoy the more structured, less chaotic type of hockey which favors puck possession and passing systems in the SHL as compared to the NHL where hockey games, however no less entertaining, tends to unfold somewhat chaotically, or randomly.

Aahlstroem

På Legenders Axlar
Dec 7, 2012
Göteborg
I’ve appreciated the different flavors of international and NHL style hockey historically, and I enjoy the more structured, less chaotic type of hockey which favors puck possession and passing systems in the SHL as compared to the NHL where hockey games, however no less entertaining, tends to unfold somewhat chaotically, or randomly.
I agree with this. I'd prefer to keep our rink dimensions but could compromise with the hybrid dimensions if a change was pushed.

Reactions: Yozhik v tumane

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
For what it's worth, the NHL rink is almost a full metre longer than the new IIHF standard. That being the case, it is not at all possible to paint the lines identically.

Yabob

Dec 12, 2006
Linköping
I think Swedish fans would be against a dictator style directive from Switzerland of all countries. But if a team wants to change to a small rink let them. Wouldn’t it be possible to expand capacity if you did? By adding front seats, some teams are att 100 % capacity and could use an addition of say 1000 seats.
It depends on what the arena looks like. Though in general front row seats is considered the worst possible seats in Sweden (as it offers a poor view of the entire ice).

Do you already have seats at ice level? If the answer is "yes" then elevation is gonna be a problem. You can't have multiple rows at the same height and expect people to be able to watch the game from there.
If the answer is "no", then it could perhaps work. But chances are that the seats will still be bad with a poor view (and that makes them hard to sell). I mean, we have arenas were the front row is hard enough to sell today (even with elevation) beacause you can't properly watch the game from there.

These days the teams are competing with the option of watching the game in the comfort of your own home. Most teams need more options for comfort in the arena, not for freezing you *ss off right next to the ice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad