SWE fans feel ashamed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
I cannot believe that we are having this debate. NO team went at 100% today. They have a quarterfinal to play in less than 24 hours.

And not going at 100% is something EVERY team has done sometime. And it is NOT the equivalent of losing intentionally.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
yarre said:
Tell me why Sweden should have played their best at a worthless game when they have a important game the day after? And I wouldnt want to be canadian either, trying to hurt players to win games like you did in the final in Finland, that is nothing I could ever support.

Losing a game that means nothing is nothing compared to that.

Supporting foul play by the whole team is more acceptable?

:clap: :clap: :clap:

GuloGulo

Nov 16, 2005
trunkofacamaro
Had Canada and Czechs not coasted against the Swiss, had not Sweden coasted against the Slovaks today. If the other group's top teams had done their job, there would be no discussion. First you want your teams to save energy in preliminary games, but it's wrong if Sweden does it. Hypocrites.

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Let's hope for them they don't lose to Switzerland , that would overshadow the Salo thing :biglaugh:

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Leo Naphta said:
I cannot believe that we are having this debate. NO team went at 100% today. They have a quarterfinal to play in less than 24 hours.

And not going at 100% is something EVERY team has done sometime. And it is NOT the equivalent of losing intentionally.

Not many teams' coaches went public and said they don't want to win today.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
What the effing hell do you want from this team? They played one of the LATEST GAMES and will play the EARLIEST QF tomorrow.

How does this equation go together with "skate like maniacs and try to win against Slovakia in a meaningless game"? As far as you would love to see Sweden win against Slovakia, only to be too tired to play tomorrow, Swedish fans DO NOT.

We have done this mistake in the past and now you WHINE specifically on us because we have done what everyone else have done tonight and because we have a cheap Swedish tabloid that tries to sell papers? Give me a break. :rant:

Caz: Aftonbladet's journalism is ALWAYS bad. Including articles on Ruutu. Aftonbladet = Bad. Always. Every Swede knows this.

mytor4*

stanley said:
I'm looking for the "Pride" column in the standings, but don't see it...

From an objective point of view, taking the easiest available road to winning the tournament is the wisest move. The public backlash is an emotional, subjective response from groups not afforded the opportunity to decide their own fate.

However, Gustafsson is taking a gamble in hoping that the outcry doesn't psychologically affect his team. After all, these guys are human beings, not machines, so negative talk has to have some impact on their play. It's just hard to say how much.

He probably would have been wiser to use this tactic without publicly announcing it.

problem is your not going to win the gold. so the disgraceful act you did just shows what kind of team you really have and for those that agree with what they did ,it also shows your lack of pride. win or lose i'll always have pride in my team .can't say the same for the swedish team.

svea

Feb 18, 2006
Kalervo Kummola, chief of the Finnish Hockey Association, monitored the Sweden-Slovakia game and was pleased that the Swedes were playing their stars and appeared to be playing with effort.
They played with effort to lose the game. They showed no interest in scoring. Even in a clear breakaway the swede just turned around and tossed the puck towards his own end.

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
Chimp said:
What the effing hell do you want from this team? They played one of the LATEST GAMES and will play the EARLIEST QF tomorrow.

How does this equation go together with "skate like maniacs and try to win against Slovakia in a meaningless game"? As far as you would love to see Sweden win against Slovakia, only to be too tired to play tomorrow, Swedish fans DO NOT.

We have done this mistake in the past and now you WHINE specifically on us because we have done what everyone else have done tonight and because we have a cheap Swedish tabloid that tries to sell papers? Give me a break. :rant:

Caz: Aftonbladet's journalism is ALWAYS bad. Including articles on Ruutu. Aftonbladet = Bad. Always. Every Swede knows this.

Who's whining?

We're showing disrespect.
SWE doesn't deserve respect after today's game.

MissCanuck

Apr 26, 2004
Quebec
Leo Naphta said:
So, Sweden should go at full throttle while the other teams are taking the day off?
Did I say full throttle? No. But did all the other teams say they were throwing games to avoid someone in the quarter-finals? Well, NO.

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
MissCanuck said:
Did I say full throttle? No. But did all the other teams say they were throwing games to avoid someone in the quarter-finals? Well, NO.

*sigh* No Swedish player, and no Swedish coach has said that they were going to throw the game.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
Caz said:
Who's whining?

We're showing disrespect.
SWE doesn't deserve respect after today's game.
And then I will show equal disrespect to Finland, Russia and Slovakia. They played their backup goalies and clearly didn't go 100% today.

mikkoz

May 9, 2003
now, here!
MissCanuck said:
Thing is, did Finland and the other teams not play 100% to avoid facing someone tomorrow?
Well 2 points, 2 goals, Norrena kept his zero, Germany had no chance. What more can you do? 5 games 5 wins goal diff 19-2, this is as close to a 100% you can ****ing get. So the situation compared with Sweden and Fins is totally different.

But it was actually fun to watch our dear neighbour try their best not to score.

What Swedes did was morally a bit questionable, but i dont have any , so Heja Sverige!

jepjepjoo

Dec 31, 2002
Chimp said:

So Team Sweden knew they were losing? Because they would have had one of the later games if they won :innocent:

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
As someone has mentioned, if you want to go for Swedish JOURNALISM, go to www.dn.se

They haven't even mentioned the misquoted crap about B-Ã…, as they apparently deemed it as unworthy and bad journalism. Something that Aftonbladet is very good at.

MissCanuck

Apr 26, 2004
Quebec
So what, saying it'd be easier to not face Canada but rather Switzerland (basically), and then giving squat for an effort against Slovakia is all fine and well?

Caz

Hedonist
Feb 16, 2006
Brussels, Belgium
freppa said:
he never did.

ps. In the future you might want to read http://www.dn.se/ for swedish news.

Chimp said:
They haven't even mentioned the misquoted crap about B-Ã…, as they apparently deemed it as unworthy and bad journalism. Something that Aftonbladet is very good at.

Yes he did. In a live interview to Swedish Radio.
Word-by-word "misquoted crap":

-------

BÃ…G in an interview for Swedish Radio:
http://www.aftonbladet.se/vss/sport...,781950,00.html

Question:
It could happen SWE needs to lose against SVK to get SUI in the QF.
Let's say team SWE trails 2-1 in the end. How important would it be to
equalize?

BÃ…G:
Well, we shouldn't. Well, uh, we'll see what it looks like. It's a da*mn difficult
situation we can get into then. That's for granted. Actually I believe in a tie...
there's no problem. We can live with that. We try to practice things like that.
Practise 6-to-5 in a situation like that. Because with a tie I think we'll still get
to play the SUI.

Question:
It would be even worse if we have a lead with a couple of minutes to go and
the SVK don't show any interest of winning. What do you do then? That's the
next problem. Will the message be "Guys, don't win"?

BÃ…G:
Uh, I don't know what to say right now. Right now it feels like 0-0 would be
a nice result.

Last edited:

shawn_kemp*

to be honest when I created the "We want to lose club" I was kidding, and I said it last night.

and I really doubted that Sweden would lose on purpose like they did tonight. absolutely no effort whatsoever. Alfie taking harmless slapshots on the point ... oh yeah! I can't believe Sweden was my second favorite team in International tournaments!!!

When you lose on purpose to face a weaker opponent, in a way you're admitting that you're weak yourself.

Am I wrong?

Leo Naphta

May 14, 2004
On top of the World
MissCanuck said:
So what, saying it'd be easier to not face Canada but rather Switzerland (basically), and then giving squat for an effort against Slovakia is all fine and well?

Well not going 100% is all full and well given the schedule and the fact that no other team went 100%.

As for saying that it would be easier on paper to face Switzerland than any other team in group A is a statement that everyone that knows anything about hockey would agree with. And that is, what he did say.

Coburnfan05

Feb 20, 2004
SOB Southern Ontario
I for one as a non Swede say, don't believe the hype.

Hell a week ago the western media was about to crucify Gretzky because of mis- information. Untill it's proven that the coach had executed a plan to throw the game, the Swedes are not guity of anything. The combination of a tough schedule and Slovakia playing well led to the Swedish loss.

Do you guys think that some of the best hockey players in the world (Foresberg, Sundin, Alfreddson, just to name a few) would intentionally throw a game...I highly doubt it.

Chimpradamus

Feb 16, 2006
Northern Sweden
B-Ã… about all this crap:
http://www.dn.se/DNet/jsp/polopoly.jsp?d=1705&a=523400&previousRenderType=6

I don't have the energy to translate it, but it basically says that B-Ã… doesn't feel there is anything to regret saying, since he didn't say that much that wasn't obvious.
*B-Ã… wished on sunday Switzerland would be the team to meet in the QF. The whole hockeyworld they are the weakest team on paper. It was the obvious answer.
*To choose between Canada or Czech Republic would be like choosing between plague or colera(?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->