Swapping picks in '13 and '14

Wisent42

Jan 9, 2012
Södertälje
Just for fun, and some food for thought:

If you could go back and swap our first overalls in 2013 and 2014, would you? In '13 we drafted Ristolainen at 8th and in '14 we picked Reinhart at 2nd. Now, my question is, would you rather have picked 2nd in '13 for a chance to pick either Sasha Barkov or Seth Jones (or Jonathan Drouin)? And in that case, who would have been your player of choice at 8th in '14?

Personally, I wouldn't. I admit I was furious when we picked Ristolainen because I was all set on Nichuchkin, but seeing what Ristolainen has and has the potential to become, I'm more than happy with that pick. And although William Nylander is an intriguing player, I'd rather have Ristolainen/Reinhart over, say, Jones/Nylander.

Discuss.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
The problem with this exercise is that I can't help but analyze the effect some of these guys would have on the tank. For example, if there was a 2013 re-draft at this early stage, I think Monahan would go #2. Big, strong, two-way goal-scoring centers are what dreams are made of, and he's proven it at the NHL level. But if we have Monahan, we're at least ahead of Arizona and probably ahead of Edmonton, too, which means we'd be in danger of drafting 3rd or 4th. At #8 last year, I'd probably go with Nylander, but I'd give some thought to Ehlers and Larkin, as well.

But, in the end, I'd rather have Risto, Reinhart, and McEichel than Monahan, Nylander, Hanifin/Marner/Strome. For that reason, I'd say no.

Crazy Tasty

Oct 5, 2005
Joisey
I wouldn't swap.

I just spent an hour reading through the 2013 GDT Draft Thread. Pretty sweet. I really wanted to find the video of the poster that went ape because we didn't draft Nichushkin.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad