Post-Game Talk: SWAJ

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Mike Smith hasn't lost a game in regulation since December.

Just keep playing the guy. All that matters at this point is wins, and he's the guy consistently getting them, so as long as he's not tired and keeps it up, should only need to start Koskinen in 2 of the remaining 10 Feb games, @FLA and @Ana, other 8 games are spaced out decently enough. Having said that, both of our goalies could flip the script in a hurry, so not written in stone.

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
The whole point of having 2 goalies... neither of which was a clear #1 going into the year... was to roll with the hot hand if/when they had it... and it seems right now Smith is more "hot" than Koskinen so I agree... roll with that until he no longer is winning games.

Koskinen was sharp vs the Coyotes even though he let 2 in (neither his fault) and last season Smith got better as the year went along (Smith seems to play better when the pressure is on... ie playoffs)... so I actually think goaltending could be a lesser issue for this team down the stretch.

I think there's a good chance that between Smith/Koskinen... they'll get decent/good goaltending the rest of the way. Of course there will be stinkers along the way but I think splitting time between those 2 and going with who's hot... until they're not is a reasonable strategy.

Reactions: tardigrade81

nexttothemoon

and again...
Jan 30, 2010
Northern AB
Cave is #2 on the Oilers in goals/60 at evens behind only Kailer "Killer" Yamamoto... so the small sample brigade highly approves of this call-up.

3IR

Feb 12, 2019

maybe the coach just letting them rest but wanted to get some pp practice in first

Last edited:

tardigrade81

Jun 12, 2019
Saskatchewan
The whole point of having 2 goalies... neither of which was a clear #1 going into the year... was to roll with the hot hand if/when they had it... and it seems right now Smith is more "hot" than Koskinen so I agree... roll with that until he no longer is winning games.

Koskinen was sharp vs the Coyotes even though he let 2 in (neither his fault) and last season Smith got better as the year went along (Smith seems to play better when the pressure is on... ie playoffs)... so I actually think goaltending could be a lesser issue for this team down the stretch.

I think there's a good chance that between Smith/Koskinen... they'll get decent/good goaltending the rest of the way. Of course there will be stinkers along the way but I think splitting time between those 2 and going with who's hot... until they're not is a reasonable strategy.
Koskinen is hard to put a finger on right now. He has looked so good at times and then so bad it’s insane. I guess same can be said about Smith, but he has been more consistent lately and had way more good games than bad.

we also just simply don’t have a good defense, and we are clowns in our own end so it makes it extremely difficult for any goalie to steal us a game

I keep hoping we make playoffs and Smith has a Halak from Montreal type playoffs. That would be amazing. That type of goaltending plus our scoring, we would be a Stanley cup team for sure.

TopShelfGloveSide

Dec 10, 2018

giphy.gif

Reactions: Sanchez

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad