Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Problem is his consistency. He can a score many goals in few games and then completely be invisible for another handful.

There have been plenty of guys with an even greater sample size of a season that have never produced again. The most recent coming to mind being Grabner

You could see a change in his game though. Less playing on the perimeter, and more of a willingness to go to the net. Despite the slow start though, he paced for 18 goals last year playing 13.5 min a game. I don't know if he's actually going to be a long term top 6 solution, but if he gets more minutes from the start, he could score 20 without much improvement really.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Maybe it's because they honestly didn't like many of his moves—not because the "Hate-Jim-Gang" just likes to crap all over him?

Is it not possible that although you feel moves are "at least reasonable" that others might find them unreasonable and have a different opinion than you?

No...impossible. They just want to hate on Jim...

Anyways... Happy to admit that this is a decent deal for both parties in this instance.

It's usually pretty clear from the way people phrase their responses whether or not they're looking at something objectively

AwesomeInTheory

A Christmas miracle
Aug 21, 2015
I honestly wish I hadn't read as many as I have.

I could count the number of times the Canucks made a move that I thought was at least reasonable, only to come here to see the Hate-Jim-Gang is crapping all over, and would probably need two hands. In this I would include the Gudbranson trade, Granlund trade, and Sutter trade (not extension, but trade itself).

I'm sorry other people's opinions are so horrible for you. Might I suggest unplugging your modem and/or shutting down your computer and perhaps taking up reading or knitting?

Nearly 4 full pages of people saying they like this move. Strangely, when this management group does something intelligent, people will praise it.

There's been 2 good moves this past week or so, with them retaining Melanson and now this signing.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
40+ games of 20+ goal pace is more than a blip on the radar. It is a decent chunk of games to project future production on.

It's something to build some sort of projection but you are still hoping. Which is why a short term deal is good rather than a 5 or 6 Grabner like deal. 40 games is promising but it is still the same thing since he turned pro...unable to truly but a full consistent season together. I hope he does and he showed some good changes to how he approached the game last year but I still felt at times he tended to fall back to the perimeter. If he can continue to progress in that determination to get inside and get to the net every shift he'll do well.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Problem is his consistency. He can a score many goals in few games and then completely be invisible for another handful.

There have been plenty of guys with an even greater sample size of a season that have never produced again. The most recent coming to mind being Grabner

Consistency?
He struggled the first quarter of the season. But since then he's been one of our best F and scoring on a respectable pace on a terrible team.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Whys the guy complaining this thread is too short because noones bashing Benning? We all pretty much agree here so theres less debate so a smaller thread!! Better signings = less debate. Easy calculation :)

Huggy

Respectful Handshake
Jul 22, 2014
Vancouver
SVEN SVEN SVEN!

baertschishift.gif

baepass.gif

Bae-goal.gif

bae.gif

I hope he breaks out next season

"won't score 20 goals"

hahahaaha

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
I think Baertschi can hit 20-25 next season if everything goes well. He played like Utica playoffs Baertschi during the second half of the season and his boardplay was significantly better, leading to more opportunities.

If he hits 20-25, I'd be interested to read if HF likes Andersson more than Baertschi at that point.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Middle six players will never have scoring consistency. If they had it, they would be first-liners. Every guy who scores 15-20 goals will have peaks and valleys.

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006
If he gets top 6 ice time, he pretty much needs to be a 40+ point pace guy to remain viable at his age and his role. He might be able to get there, but he's going to need to take a big step forward.

It's funny how his 2nd half is reaching mythical status though. He played 69 games this season. In his first 35 games he put up 15 points and in his final 34 he put up 13 points.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
If Lucic doesn't sign in Vancouver, would Brouwer be a good option to play with Baertschi and Horvat?

No. Don't want Brouwer. I think he will get overpaid (again) for too long of a contract (again). Realistically I'd give him 3.25 over 2 seasons. I would guess he's gonna get 4+ over 3+ seasons.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
If he gets top 6 ice time, he pretty much needs to be a 40+ point pace guy to remain viable at his age and his role. He might be able to get there, but he's going to need to take a big step forward.

It's funny how his 2nd half is reaching mythical status though. He played 69 games this season. In his first 35 games he put up 15 points and in his final 34 he put up 13 points.

Second half of the season, not second half of his season. Over his last 42 games, he scored 13 goals and 8 assists. Over 82 games that is 25 goals and 15 assists for 40 points.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010

He and Bo had a nice run together where they both had something like 13-14 points in a 15 game stretch and then they were split up because it was "taking away from Bo's game" according to Willie.

Baer show some nice moments but he's becoming oddly overrated by Canucks fans. This is a big year for him.

The thing is, he could also just get buried by Free Agent signings.

Proto

Jan 30, 2010
Second half of the season, not second half of his season. Over his last 42 games, he scored 13 goals and 8 assists. Over 82 games that is 25 goals and 15 assists for 40 points.

He also had 11 points in his last 29 games after a hot stretch in the middle. It's a big year for him. He either takes that next step or he's unlikely to be more than a 2nd/3rd line tweener.

I'm cautiously optimistic based on his puck skills, but we'll have to see what happens.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
He and Bo had a nice run together where they both had something like 13-14 points in a 15 game stretch and then they were split up because it was "taking away from Bo's game" according to Willie.

The quote was even weirder than that.

It was basically that Horvat was scoring too much and that wasn't the kind of player they wanted him to be, so they broke them up. One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen a coach utter.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

It was basically that Horvat was scoring too much and that wasn't the kind of player they wanted him to be, so they broke them up. One of the most bizarre things I've ever seen a coach utter.

Can you provide a source or link for that?

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver

Yeah, breaking them up was weird. Literally our best combo after the Sedins.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Can you provide a source or link for that?

Here's where we were talking about the quote on March 17:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=115547413

I don't have the actual quote down in print anywhere ... maybe someone can help with this.

Sorry, he doesn't specifically say 'scoring too much'. But it's implied that Horvat and Baertchi scoring lots of points together is somehow 'bad' because it 'takes Horvat away from his game' and they only went with that combination 'because they needed goals'.

The implication is that they'd prefer Horvat to be scoring less in a defensive role. Which is insane.

fancouver

Jan 15, 2009
Vancouver
Here's where we were talking about the quote on March 17:

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?p=115547413

I don't have the actual quote down in print anywhere ... maybe someone can help with this.

Sorry, he doesn't specifically say 'scoring too much'. But it's implied that Horvat and Baertchi scoring lots of points together is somehow 'bad' because it 'takes Horvat away from his game' and they only went with that combination 'because they needed goals'.

The implication is that they'd prefer Horvat to be scoring less in a defensive role. Which is insane.

WD had a lot of questionable moves last season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->