Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
Decent signing. If he steps up you have a bargain and if not it's pretty easy to cut bait.

I'm not a big fan of baertschi but this is a worthy investment.

Scurr

Jun 25, 2009
Whalley
I hope he breaks out next season

He has the high end stick skills and hockey sense to produce in the NHL. His biggest challenge is going to be athletically where he's very average at that level. He'll need to be in terrific shape to play at a pace that keeps him out of the clutches of bigger, stronger players. Here's hopin'.

Last edited:

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Makes me wish all contracts were similar to bridge deals, seems like the only thing he is consistently decent at.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Cant wait to see what Vey gets!!!

Vey got a one year $735K deal after acquiring him for a 2nd round pick. After a full season in the NHL, he was given a one year deal worth $1M and was told to improve. I think if Vey is given a qualifying offer that is one-way he will take it. Benning was willing to put Vey on waivers last season.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
This will be a huge steal fro next two years. Book my words
He won't score 20 next year.

He's essentially the same player in his first 60ish games that he was this past season.

I'm not sure about this trajectory some believe he is on

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
hsdEfT6.gif

Groovy.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
What do you think 20 goals is a reasonably expectation? That is pretty much his last half season last year extrapolated over a full season. 25 is within reach as well, if him and Horvat continue their chemistry and they get off to a good start. I could see Virtanen or Etem or even Hansen working on their other wing.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
it shows a phenomenal lack of understanding on your part to actually anticipate that people are going to hate this move. its almost as if you've never read a single post that details why people hate our current management group

I honestly wish I hadn't read as many as I have.

I could count the number of times the Canucks made a move that I thought was at least reasonable, only to come here to see the Hate-Jim-Gang is crapping all over, and would probably need two hands. In this I would include the Gudbranson trade, Granlund trade, and Sutter trade (not extension, but trade itself).

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
He won't score 20 next year.

He's essentially the same player in his first 60ish games that he was this past season.

I'm not sure about this trajectory some believe he is on

40+ games of 20+ goal pace is more than a blip on the radar. It is a decent chunk of games to project future production on.

The Drop

Rain Drop, Drop Top
Jul 12, 2015
Vancouver
40+ games of 20+ goal pace is more than a blip on the radar. It is a decent chunk of games to project future production on.

Problem is his consistency. He can a score many goals in few games and then completely be invisible for another handful.

There have been plenty of guys with an even greater sample size of a season that have never produced again. The most recent coming to mind being Grabner

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Problem is his consistency. He can a score many goals in few games and then completely be invisible for another handful.

There have been plenty of guys with an even greater sample size of a season that have never produced again. The most recent coming to mind being Grabner

And there are a lot of young guys that struggle with consistency, and then find it.

I guess we will just have to wait and see.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
What do you think 20 goals is a reasonably expectation? That is pretty much his last half season last year extrapolated over a full season. 25 is within reach as well, if him and Horvat continue their chemistry and they get off to a good start. I could see Virtanen or Etem or even Hansen working on their other wing.

Baertschi was on pace for 18 goals on the season.

Honestly, I'd be happy with a 20-20 campaign next season, maybe 20-25.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
for a top 6 developing winger, that can only get better, good signing. good trade too, my gosh.

FOurteenS inCisOr

FOS COrp CEO
May 4, 2012
Republic of VI
I honestly wish I hadn't read as many as I have.

I could count the number of times the Canucks made a move that I thought was at least reasonable, only to come here to see the Hate-Jim-Gang is crapping all over, and would probably need two hands. In this I would include the Gudbranson trade, Granlund trade, and Sutter trade (not extension, but trade itself).

Maybe it's because they honestly didn't like many of his moves—not because the "Hate-Jim-Gang" just likes to crap all over him?

Is it not possible that although you feel moves are "at least reasonable" that others might find them unreasonable and have a different opinion than you?

No...impossible. They just want to hate on Jim...

Anyways... Happy to admit that this is a decent deal for both parties in this instance.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
I believe he said overpays guys with grit, Tanev's never been over payed. On the JB overpayment pile you have Miller, Dorsett, Sbisa, Sutter, and to a lesser extent Bartkowski, Vey, and Stewart.

I was replying to the other sentence there, not the one about overpaying for grit. I don't think anyone could disagree with that.

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
Fair deal all-around. He's a play-driving middle-six winger which is definitely something we could use. Chemistry with Bo is a plus, and Bae's defensive play is improving very nicely.

I think he'll crack 40+ points if they actually play him consistently.

oyvey

meet you at the bottom if there really is one
Jan 6, 2010
Toronto
I'm worried about how ridiculous the expectations for him are going to be next season but that cap hit makes it a bit better. Benning paying a player what he's worth instead of what Benning thinks he's worth is nice.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad