Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
And now that Baertschi has cleared waivers it is evident the 30 other NHL management groups agreed with the Canucks that Baertschi is not currently worth an nhl roster spot.

I am glad he cleared and hope he proves all his doubters wrong and gets back to the team.

He's not worth it for 3M, no. Since the canucks have to pay him that anyway, it makes far more sense for him to be on the roster.

Reactions: Jyrki21

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
And now that Baertschi has cleared waivers it is evident the 30 other NHL management groups agreed with the Canucks that Baertschi is not currently worth an nhl roster spot.

I am glad he cleared and hope he proves all his doubters wrong and gets back to the team.

Why did I know a post like this was queued up as soon as Baertschi cleared...

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
He's not worth it for 3M, no. Since the canucks have to pay him that anyway, it makes far more sense for him to be on the roster.

If he shows well in the AHL he will be the first call up. Seeing as he has been a little squeamish with contact, perhaps it actually might be helpful for him to be a first line winger in Utica for a bit instead of crashing and banging on a checking line on the canucks for 8 minutes a night.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Lol If that was “queued up” Imagine all the queued up freak out posts about the canucks losing an asset for nothing if Baertschi had been claimed? A lot of of recycle bins on desktops being emptied right now.
A guy with a concussion history who's earning north of $3m a season, and people are surprised he didn't get claimed? Biega is the only one who surprised me. He could help a lot of teams in this league as a valuable depth d-man. But I guess just about everybody around the league is 'caped out' right now.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
If he shows well in the AHL he will be the first call up. Seeing as he has been a little squeamish with contact, perhaps it actually might be helpful for him to be a first line winger in Utica for a bit instead of crashing and banging on a checking line on the canucks for 8 minutes a night.

Isn't he likely to be recalled tomorrow to replace injured Motte?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Isn't he likely to be recalled tomorrow to replace injured Motte?

Already carrying 2 spare forwards and have extremely limited cap space for short term injury replacements, so can't see them dipping onto the farm this early in the year.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Lol If that was “queued up” Imagine all the queued up freak out posts about the canucks losing an asset for nothing if Baertschi had been claimed? A lot of of recycle bins on desktops being emptied right now.

LOL
hk54ti5n6tk11.png

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Nah, like most of the players on the team we knew that the contract Benning gave him made up unclaimable.
Or was it the 60 games Baertschi missed last season?

Baertschi's contract is fine if his career wasn't in jeopardy from concussions. He's produced like a 2nd line forward when in the lineup.

Reactions: sting101

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015

Since Sven has a bloated contract, what it means to me is that among those general managers who had the cap space, none considered the services they were likely to get from him to be worth what they'd have to pay him. At cutdown day with training camps just done and flexibility limited because there wasn't time to place more players to clear waivers before the final cutdown time, even that may be overstating what one can tell about his current value.

I don't know what Sven's worth is right now but at the time when the general manager has the least flexibility, in a season in which the league faced a cap that hadn't increased as much as most had been planning and expecting, a mid-priced player clearing waivers on cutdown day isn't as meaningful as it would be at other times and in other circumstances.

Last edited:
Reactions: I am toxic

tradervik

Hear no evil, see no evil, complain about it
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2007
[...]
And the reason they did it is because they still think this is the 1950s and you need to be a certain "type" to play on the 3rd or 4th line. In reality this team is destined to stink because it is completely lacking in talent and this move does nothing to change that.

The team is completely lacking in talent? What an awful take. Also Ericksson is good a killing penalties, which (contract aside) is a skill the Canucks need.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Recalled according to Dhaliwal. Ferland likely on IR?

As expected, the demotion to Utica was essentially a conditioning stint to get the rust off.

Now get Baertschi and Gaudette in the lineup, remove Eriksson and try to start running teams out of the rink offensively.

This teams forward depth is tremendous...

Reactions: Canadian Canuck

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Recalled according to Dhaliwal. Ferland likely on IR?

Extras right now before Ferland went down are Sautner and Gaudette. Motte is hurt but not on IR yet and Rousell is on LTIR. So, there's the 23 man roster. Someone would have to go on IR to get Sven back on the roster. Either Motte or Ferland.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Has to be some sort of trade coming. Don't imagine Ferland and Motte will be out long; and Roussel is nearing a return. Even if they farm out Gaudette, there still isn't enough cap room for everybody.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Has to be some sort of trade coming. Don't imagine Ferland and Motte will be out long; and Roussel is nearing a return. Even if they farm out Gaudette, there still isn't enough cap room for everybody.

Gaudette should go down if he's not going to be a regular. He needs to play, not watch. Sven, can send him back down again if they want. If he gets claimed, it frees up over $2 million in salary cap space.

Either it's a deal or they have to send someone down to the AHL. Depends if they wish to risk losing Motte to waivers or whether they finally decide to send Loui down who would easily clear waivers.

Is Schaller playing well enough that you can deal him (expiring contract) and are prepared to not have him on the roster, thus clearing some cap space to allow for some of the rookie bonuses to be applied this year?

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Gaudette should go down if he's not going to be a regular. He needs to play, not watch. Sven, can send him back down again if they want. If he gets claimed, it frees up over $2 million in salary cap space.

Either it's a deal or they have to send someone down to the AHL. Depends if they wish to risk losing Motte to waivers or whether they finally decide to send Loui down who would easily clear waivers.

Is Schaller playing well enough that you can deal him (expiring contract) and are prepared to not have him on the roster, thus clearing some cap space to allow for some of the rookie bonuses to be applied this year?
Send down Gaudette and Loui. If room is needed later, depending on how the team is gelling either move Schaller for a pick or maybe move Baertschi for salary relief next season. If he's at PPG or close to it two weeks from now maybe Edmonton will have interest. Say, Gagner and Lavoie for Baertschi and a 2020 2nd.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->