Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The huge red flag for me was that collision in the Vegas game that resulted in his latest concussion. It wasn't even that severe. Just an inadvertent mid-ice collision, with no suspension resulting. But he missed 30 games.

Unfortunately it's the type of collision that a hockey player will face two or three times every game. And if he can't take that kind of hit and stay healthy, you really have to wonder if the best strategy is just to shut him down for the season and try again next fall.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I see it as another loss. A second round draft pick pissed away for another "age-gap" experiment who tops out at 35 points and doesn't play half the games. Given how wretched the Canucks are on the right side Rasmus Andersson looks like a decent piece to have. He would probably be the Canucks #2 D prospect at this point. Even if that wasn't who they targeted, I'd still rather have the lottery ticket.

Would you be pleased right now if the Canucks traded a second round draft pick for Sven Baertschi? Or traded our #1 right side D prospect for Sven Baertschi? I think the forum would lose its mind.

The Canucks have been the worst team in the NHL since his arrival, so how was it a win? Call me an optimist, but I think we could have done that without him.

Statistically, forwards peak by the age of 24. Baertschi would have been a piece to grab as a depth forward for a playoff team weak on the left wing (probably what Benning thought we were when he made the move). In a complete Vacuum, where you're evaluating who won the trade immediately, I agree it was a "small win." But in the context of the rebuild timeline? I wouldn't say so. He'll either be retired (which I would recommend to him at this point, for the sake of his wife and child) or well into decline by the time the team is competitive. If his peak is 35 points, then when his offensive abilities decline he'll likely no longer be a useful component (he's soft and doesn't grind).

"Scores at a second line pace - when in the lineup" is a pretty big qualifying statement when he's injured half the year and Tim Schaller is the substitution.

To clarify, I don't think he's terrible, I just don't think the move made sense. I didn't hate the re-signing either, but he never seemed like part of the long-term solution. A right-handed D prospect drafted in the second round, who will turn 25 when Sven turns 30, seems far more in line with the timeline of our rebuild. The team has no prospects for that position. But we all know when this move was made the word "rebuild" was strictly forbidden by the organization. This was a "Re-Tool" move... We know how that turned out.

Benning is the type who would run around a restaurant asking strangers if he can eat their leftovers, then blame the subsequent illness on the seasonal flu. I hope, for our sake, that he has finally learned his lesson. The draft being in Vancouver may be the only thing saving us from more "Smart Hockey Trades" this year.

Well said. The age gap trades cost us a full years worth of draft picks and didn’t accelerate anything. I’d gladly reverse all of them.

I hope Baertschi does what’s best for his long term health. He seems like a nice guy, and when healthy he’s an alright complimentary player, but he should take the millions he’s earned and call it a day. Still lots of his life ahead of him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Looks like that could be career for Baertchi. Probs should have traded him when we had the chance

Rats

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It's too bad Jimbo couldn't have gone out in the offseason and signed a UFA with some sort of scoring pedigree. But instead he overpaid for three fourth liners in Beagle, Roussel and Schaller.

And unfortunately none of them are capable of moving up in the lineup to take Baertschi's place on a scoring line. Jimbo now needs to find another scoring winger, fast.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Well said. The age gap trades cost us a full years worth of draft picks and didn’t accelerate anything. I’d gladly reverse all of them.

I hope Baertschi does what’s best for his long term health. He seems like a nice guy, and when healthy he’s an alright complimentary player, but he should take the millions he’s earned and call it a day. Still lots of his life ahead of him.

He could very end up with Simon Depres of Anaheim. Ducks ended up buying him out at 1/3 due to his age, but it never counted against their cap. Not sure what the policy is for guys with contracts but it's getting to the point where it would be dangerous for them to continue playing the game, but they are not on LTIR. But, another hit would put them on LTIR for pretty much the remainder of the contract.
Might be the way it ends for Sven.

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver

I still do the trade 10 out of 10 times
Baertschi when healthy, is a skilled player that actually contributes well

Reactions: daddyohsix

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Sven should consider retiring. I like him. Good #6 forward, fair salary.

But, if he has too many complications from concussions, he should probably consider retiring.

Health is too important.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Travis Green

Feb 4th “not concussion related, just not feeling well “

Feb 9th “out with concussion symptoms, will probably be out a little bit”

The guys a clown. Feel sorry for anyone that believes literally anything this organization tells us.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
"not concussion related"

****ing idiots.

They aren’t idiots, they are liars. We are idiots for believing what they say.
They lie constantly, and I actually blame the media. They have access to coaches , we don’t. Nobody has the balls to straight up ask “why did you lie about this or that”.

Broadcast rights holders 650 won’t do it. But TSN has nothing to lose except maybe Canucks PR won’t give them as many interviews / access.

CherryToke

Oct 18, 2008
Coquitlam
They aren’t idiots, they are liars. We are idiots for believing what they say.
They lie constantly, and I actually blame the media. They have access to coaches , we don’t. Nobody has the balls to straight up ask “why did you lie about this or that”.

That is probably right but either way, they are incompetent and must be replaced.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
It was still absolutely a good trade. Baertschi was a very solid player for us, it was reasonable to believe that he would be at the time, and nobody could have foreseen this level of inability to avoid injuries at the time.

I still maintain that he could have improved into something significantly more impressive if he had stayed healthy (especially if he was stapled to Pettersson-Boeser like he should have been). Really unfortunate.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
'Post concussion syndrome' that goes on for year in a 25-year old male athlete who's already suffered multiple concussions, should be a signal that it's time to shut it down indefinitely, or maybe even forever. It's sad, really. Maybe after a season or two, he can make a comeback and possibly resume his career in Europe where he might be able to survive on the bigger ice sheet.

Jimbo was quoted as saying recently he's in the market for another top-six scoring winger. Could be he was basing it on the Baertschi diagnosis. Now, unless somebody like Dahlen comes out of nowhere, the really needs to step up the search.

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
This is a disaster.

Canucks are already thin on top6 forwards. Actually they might have the worst top6 in the league.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Hmm this doesn't look great for the team's medical staff, again.
How? I’m sure Sven is well aware now of the seriousness of concussions. All players should be. If you’re not feeling right you have to report it. He didn’t feel right after the game and hasn’t played since.

Honestly, for his sake he may need to follow the despres scenario and get the buyout. Too many horror stories from franzen, montador, savard, etc .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad