Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Baertschi has become very under appreciated for what he brings when he’s healthy... because just isn’t healthy enough...

When he comes back, the skill and added ability to retain pucks and make plays will be tangible.. being able to contribute at a 50 pt pace is nothing to scoff at..

It’s a long term stance here as well.. we have him signed for 3 yrs... Like Roussell.. ZERO chance he comes back till he’s 110% healthy. Too much committed to him long term. We will take another step forward in pt% with him in the lineup.

He’s 26, by the time we are a contender he may be 35... likely not playing anymore.
If only you could down vote here, eh...

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Baertschi has become very under appreciated for what he brings when he’s healthy... because just isn’t healthy enough...

When he comes back, the skill and added ability to retain pucks and make plays will be tangible.. being able to contribute at a 50 pt pace is nothing to scoff at..

It’s a long term stance here as well.. we have him signed for 3 yrs... Like Roussell.. ZERO chance he comes back till he’s 110% healthy. Too much committed to him long term. We will take another step forward in pt% with him in the lineup.

He is like a Goldobin that the people who like our current GM appreciate.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008

Agreed. We've missed Sven's creativity on the PP.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC

I actually looked it up, and unless you count his 10 games this year, Baertschi has never averaged more than a pace of 45 points in an 82-game season.

I always felt that a guy with his skill set and pedigree out of the WHL would eventually blow up production wise, at least in flashes, but he never really has.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
He is like a Goldobin that the people who like our current GM appreciate.
I think he’s been better then him and hes played well on bos wing. sven didn’t get hurt I believe bo would have more points then he currently does since he’s been his main winger for more then 2 years now.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
I think he’s been better then him and hes played well on bos wing. sven didn’t get hurt I believe bo would have more points then he currently does since he’s been his main winger for more then 2 years now.

And there are many who don't necessarily like our current GM who appreciates a player like Goldobin and Baertschi.

Sorry. I was making a joke, that probably was not all that funny.

Reactions: hittes petr sykora

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
Would really wanna see him alongside pettersson, he’s one of the more creative players on the team.
Too bad he gets headshot blindsided multiple times, that kind of impact really sets you back, somtimes to a point that you can’t even get back to your old self (eg. Daniel Sedin). Hope he makes a speedy and full recovery.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
I actually think Baertschi should play with Beagle and Virtanen. I think that line could be dangerous in the style the Canucks currently play.

Goldobin should play with Horvat and Eriksson

I think Pettersson-Boeser is too good to break up, so you would want someone who can do stuff away from the puck on that line. Leivo is obviously a good fit because he can tackle many different situations, but I think Roussel would be good on that line too.

Motte/Granlund/Schaller/Gaudette/Sutter playing defensive minutes in rotating scratches likely due to injuries up and down the lineup.

Anyway off to collect my Jack Adams - see you in the playoffs

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
He's healthy? Good, trade him.

If it hasn't occurred already, his trade value will diminish further as he continues to get injured just as Tanev's has. Trade him.

Curmudgeon

Aug 18, 2018
Yeah, let’s trade a player right after he recovers from a concussion, that will do it!!!

Do it? Well, yes, trade him when he's healthy enough to be traded. They just dealt for Leivo because they needed a different type of player on the left and Baertschi's absence really exposed both their lack of depth and how, unfortunately, they can't count on him to remain healthy. Someone will need to drop to being the 4th liner on the left between him, Leivo, Goldobin, and Roussel.

Goldobin is younger and producing decently playing in the top 6 in his first full season, Roussel is making a good middle 6 contribution, and I don't believe they see Leivo as a 4th liner so where does that leave Baertschi? While it's clearly not his fault, the guy can't manage to stay healthy enough to dress for 70 games so if there's a demand, trade him.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Wonder where he slots in 5 on 5 as well as PP when back

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser
Baertchi Horvat Virtanen
Leivo Gaudette Roussell
Eriksson Beagles Granlund

PPs

Goldobin Pettersson Boeser
Hutton stecher

Baertchi Horvat Virtanen
Edler Whoever

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Still a not-very-much player even at his best.

But I still hope he recovers from his concussion issues. What's best for him is up to him, but there's easily a place for him on the LW here right now if he's good to go.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Looks like SB not doing well. Team won’t use the word concussion symptoms etc but what else could it be. They say “he’s not feeling well” but they sent him home with a week left on the trip and 3 games. If he wasn’t feeling well, common cold etc how do they know he wouldn’t be good to go in a few days? To be sent home with a week left is telling. I said it months ago, he’s in rough shape. 6 concussions and he had some terrible lingering symptoms on the last one. Time to hang them up and have a decent life post hockey.

Last edited:

Star Ocean

Dec 30, 2018
Looks like SB not doing well. Team won’t use the word concussion symptoms etc but what else could it be. They say “he’s not feeling well” but they sent him home with a week left on the trip and 3 games. If he wasn’t feeling well, common cold etc how do they know he wouldn’t be good to go in a few days? To be sent home with a week left is telling. I said it months ago, he’s in rough shape. 6 concussions and he had some terrible lingering symptoms on the last one. Time to hang them up and have a decent life post hockey.
Yeah he isnt going home because of a cold. Something fishy here.

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Hope Sven picks up after a few games, our PP looks a lot better with Sven back to the 1st unit

I think it would be much better for Boeser to be in Baertschi's position on PP1, Pettersson fed him two beautiful passes for two prime shots. Can't help but think Boeser would have made use of those clean opportunities.

Reactions: Stardustforever

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad