Waived: Canucks place F Sven Baertschi on waivers (Dec 15)

Mad Brills*

I'd assume he gets protected in an expansion draft + if he does well he gets a nice UFA buying years deal after this right?

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Honestly seems like Benning only overpays guys who bring grit. It's really weird.

First good signing by Benning.

SgtToody

Mar 16, 2013
Let me be the first to begrudgingly pout about this -- not sold on Baertschi's short- or long-term success, and figured $1.5 to $1.7m was the right slot. A 200g overpay isn't terrible in the scope of things, compared to all the others, so I suppose its OK. But I don't want to be patting JiBe on the back because he didn't screw up for the dozenth time...

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
Honestly seems like Benning only overpays guys who bring grit. It's really weird.

First good signing by Benning.

This is the first time he hasn't totally botched a signing of a player that he targeted (other than minor deals).

His other good re-signings were Tanev, Markstrom and Biega, all players he inherited.

E/ I'll give him credit for Vrbata too despite how it ended. Tough to get UFAs to sign short-term deals at reasonable dollars.

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Good move.

Baertschi has upside, so even if overpaying $200K or so over a couple years it is a good gamble to take. And I am higher on Baertschi than most, so don't consider this an overpayment or much of a gamble.

Kudos to management, along with the Clouts/Rollie swap. 2 good moves in a row.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Great deal for us. Was thinking he could be worth up to 2.5. Can't wait to see why we hate this move.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Really liked Baertchis game the last half second of the season with some inconsistency but i think he will get it all around. Im an optimistic person and am thinking he will get 50 points next year. Hes pretty much are 2L and as Bo gets better and who knows whose the 2R but those two already had a great chemistry. Not gonna credit benning with this at all also cause i dont think we will be a cash crunch top of the cap limit team anyways so Benning it still a bum

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Didn't he re-sign Tanev as well?

I believe he said overpays guys with grit, Tanev's never been over payed. On the JB overpayment pile you have Miller, Dorsett, Sbisa, Sutter, and to a lesser extent Bartkowski, Vey, and Stewart.

Anyways this is the type of deal you want for a guy like Baerstchi. Maybe if you played hardball you could get him for around $1.0-1.2M a season, but if the bridge contract player plays well and establishes themselves as legit you don't want them to go into the next round of negotiations feeling like they were jilted last time. In my opinion it's always best to just give these guys 'fair' value.

Trelane

Feb 12, 2013
Salusa Secundus
Very good. Smart media use. Also takes attention away from the Burrow/Higgins buyout dithering.

Dithering is not quite the word. At minimum the club owes to itself and the players a chance to flip them at the draft, even as supplementary pieces.

Here's hoping Bae keeps going to the net.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad