Confirmed with Link: Svedberg to the KHL

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I was nervous everytime Svedberg was in net.

Won't be tough to find a better backup for next year.

Svedberg is the #1 reason we didn't make the playoffs. Claude couldn't trust him and over the course of the season he alone cost the team enough points to DNQ.

kutskova

Nov 5, 2006
Svedberg is the #1 reason we didn't make the playoffs. Claude couldn't trust him and over the course of the season he alone cost the team enough points to DNQ.

I would argue the entire teams lack of desire finish and squandered chances cost us the playoffs. Even if Svedberg played more don't be we would have scored more than 1 or 2 goals per game.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007

Taken from rotoworld so certainly not a hockey authority, but I feel Svedberg was underused by Julien, I keep reading here that he was unreliable I didn't see that in the games I watched.

Niklas Svedberg, who backed up Tuukka Rask of the Boston Bruins last season, has signed a one year contract with Salavat of the KHL. No financial terms have been released, yet.

The 25 year old Svedberg is a restricted free agent for Boston, but appears ready to test his skills closer to his homeland of Sweden. Svedberg posted a 7-5-1 record with nine Quality Starts against just two Really Bad Starts during his rookie NHL campaign. He was beaten for just 35 goals on 435 combined shots over his 14 starts and 18 games.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Using those numbers, that gives him only a 64% chance of posting a quality start, against the worst teams in the league, when extremely well rested. Not good enough.

njbruin*

Nov 17, 2007
Using those numbers, that gives him only a 64% chance of posting a quality start, against the worst teams in the league, when extremely well rested. Not good enough.

But was it bad enough to only start him 14 times.

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
The way things turned out with Svedberg this year was a bit bizarre. I think some people were getting carried away with how good they were saying he was but I also think some of the issues with him were self induced by giving him too much time between games and then being too open about not having confidence in the guy. In retrospect I think we could have handled it better.

I'll be happy to see a new back up next season. I don't think Svedberg's rebounds and somewhat wild style of play is something I'd feel comfortable with our defensive situation. But it does feel like this guy went from good/adequate backup or at least good numbers then he had a couple bad games and all the sudden we couldn't play him anymore.

I can see him making a return to the NHL as a decent/good backup.

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
I was nervous everytime Svedberg was in net.

Won't be tough to find a better backup for next year.

The Bruins took a gamble the last couple of years when it came to backup goalies ,with Johnson the gamble worked but with Svedberg it didn't . I hope we can find someone somewhat proven with some NHL experience .

Mpasta

Oct 6, 2008

HAHA the number 1 reason the Bruins didn't make the playoffs was because of their backup goalie? This is so ridiculous that I'm not sure if it's sarcasm or not.

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Rask -- 34-34 / .922 / 2.30
Svedberg -- 7-6 / .918 / 2.33

-- Not a lot of difference here. I guess the backup goalie has to take the fall.

He posted 8 games this year in which he had a save % less than .900
His aggregate stats were pumped up by two of his best games - shutouts against teams that played like complete and utter crap (a tanking Sabres team and a completly dominated Devils team).

If you think that performance is at all acceptible at the NHL level, then you are sadly mistaken.

chizzler

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 11, 2006
No goalie will have good numbers playing the minutes Svedberg played. He's a better goalie than what he was given an opportunity to show IMO.

WhalerTurnedBruin55

Fading out, thanks for the times.
Oct 31, 2008

Hahaha....

Yea, I mean when the backup goalie can't get us some wins, he's the #1 problem.

Not that the team in front of him was as terrible as they were in front of Rask. Svedberg isn't Rask, expecting him to be is silly. Svedberg may have lost the team a few games, but the fact that the Bruins were so close to the cusp isn't his fault.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
He posted 8 games this year in which he had a save % less than .900
His aggregate stats were pumped up by two of his best games - shutouts against teams that played like complete and utter crap (a tanking Sabres team and a completly dominated Devils team).

If you think that performance is at all acceptible at the NHL level, then you are sadly mistaken.

Rask had 19 games at .900 or below including a stretch of 3 out of 4 games in early November, plus another stretch of 5 out of 6 in late November / early December when he should have been fresh (since any time Tuukka has a bad game, it must be because he is tired).

I just find it absurd that the backup goalie who started all of 14 games is blamed for the Bruins not making the playoffs.

The blame is always placed on:

the 4th line
Chris Kelly
Matt Bartkowski
the backup goalie
the coach of the Powerplay

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005

Was Svedberg the only reason? No.

But to say he was the No.1 reason might not be too far off.

This team missed the playoffs by 3 points. That's it.

Claude's lack of trust in Svedberg resulted in overplaying Rask significantly down the stretch, resulting in fatigue and poor performances especially on back-2-backs (see Florida in Game 81).

Not to mention if they had a better more trusted back-up and the Bruins probably pick up another 4-5 points in wins from the more capable back-up.

Svedberg is gone. If the Bruins management think for one second they can go into next season with Smith or Subban as the back-up and play Rask seventy games again it will be another lost season. They have to acquire a NHL caliber back-up with some experience next season. It's not even debatable.

mislysBB

Aug 6, 2013
Northeast
Svedberg was not the main reason why we missed the playoffs, but he was a big part of it.

I'm ****ing sorry, but if your backup has to be pulled twice, and continue to come close to being pulled in other games (whether he's fresh or not) then you don't have a very good backup on your hands.

Last edited:

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
Svedberg merely one of many reasons this team didn`t make it, hardly the only one

Definitely not the only one but an important one none the less. The back up has to be better. To me Rask needs to play less, he seems to get mentally tired. Ideally in the 60-65 range.

echlfreak

Aug 1, 2003
I agree both Subban and Smith could get the job but having each of them spend one more season in the AHL would be better for their development. Tons of quality back ups available this summer.

Hammond
Fasth
Ramo
Neuvirth
Gustavsson
Griess
Enroth
Ellis
McElhinney
Lindback
Emery

GarbageGoal

Courage
Dec 1, 2005
RI
I agree both Subban and Smith could get the job but having each of them spend one more season in the AHL would be better for their development. Tons of quality back ups available this summer.

Hammond
Fasth
Ramo
Neuvirth
Gustavsson
Griess
Enroth
Ellis
McElhinney
Lindback
Emery

Smith is 26 years old and been playing pro for over five years. He is what I would consider a veteran AHL netminder. There's no more developing he really needs. He might actually be the best guy for the backup job, but not all guys can handle sitting 60 games a year as we saw with Svedberg. You just have to make the decision to go with him or not and see what happens.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
No goalie will have good numbers playing the minutes Svedberg played. He's a better goalie than what he was given an opportunity to show IMO.

Antti Raanta and Scott Darling each played basically the same minutes. Both had .936s and sub 2 GAA

Calvin Pickard of CO. .932 sv %.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad