Confirmed with Link: Svedberg to the KHL

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
I don't know if Sveddy or the backup goalie situation deserves its own thread but it looks like Sveddy is headed to the K.

@IgorEronko
#Salavat GM confirmed R-Sport they signed #NHLBruins' pending RFA Niklas Svedberg to a 1-year deal #KHL

So who's a backup option for next season?

Last edited by a moderator:

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
I don't know if Sveddy or the backup goalie situation deserves its own thread but it looks like Sveddy is headed to the K.

@IgorEronko
#Salavat GM confirmed R-Sport they signed #NHLBruins' pending RFA Niklas Svedberg to a 1-year deal #KHL

So who's a backup option for next season?

Subban time?

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
let subban and smith battle it out

as long as whomever it is does not give games away with poor goaltending, could care less who gets the nod

I didn`t see Subban play one second other than the Blues game this year but I read alot here from fans saying he played great in the playoffs for the PB`s?

Hali33

Oct 18, 2013
Halifax, Nova Scotia
Would rather see Subban spend another year in the AHL for better development. He was splitting starts with Smith this season, no? Feel like more playing time in the AHL would do more than being Rask's backup.

Not that stressed over the back up situation.

Paddington

Mar 8, 2011
Toronto
Rask, Khudobin, and even Johnson were good backups and I wasn't concerned when any of them were between the pipes. Hopefully the team can find another good backup. We were spoiled over the last few years prior to Sveddy. I'd be over the moon if a Rask-Subban tandem worked out the way the Thomas-Rask tandem did.

Man Rocket

88+73
Jul 12, 2011
we needed an upgrade anyway, less of a logjam now and maybe gives Zane more motivation to sign

Replicator

Replicated User
Jan 1, 2014
Would rather see Subban spend another year in the AHL for better development. He was splitting starts with Smith this season, no? Feel like more playing time in the AHL would do more than being Rask's backup.

Definitely. I also don't feel too confident in either Subban or Smith as backup.
Oddly, I did have faith in Sveddy over the summer. Clearly he got pretty stale without a lot of games playing.

BigGoalBrad

Jun 3, 2012
Hes not good enough to be relied on for more than a spot start here and there if anything happened to Rask we'd be making a trade immediately and giving up assets even if it was relatively minor and only 4-5 weeks.

McIntyre could at least be signed to the rookie minimum cap hit and only take up 550-600k or so it wouldn't take a 1 way contract to get him to sign a cheap deal we would just have to give him a nice fat 250k AHL salary and a promise he has a great chance at having the backup job and he signs on the dot I think.

McIntyre for a 600k cap hit is better than paying a semi proven backup 1.6.

Stone Clode

Kicks him, stunner!!
Jun 1, 2010
Swansea, MA
Man, the guy went from up-and-coming goalie, to having an awesome year in Providence, to getting the backup job, to just completely blowing up in the NHL, and now he's gone. Hopefully he regains his head in Russia so that he can make a return here, but the kid flat out lost all of his confidence in the past 14 months. That AHL playoffs last year hurt him and this season made it worse. Best of luck to him.

That being said, this team is very stacked at that position, so they'll be able to replace him rather easily.

kytem2

Nov 18, 2003
Ottawa
Visit site
Rask -- 34-34 / .922 / 2.30
Svedberg -- 7-6 / .918 / 2.33

-- Not a lot of difference here. I guess the backup goalie has to take the fall.

PatriceBergeronFan

Jul 15, 2011
USA
Rask -- 34-34 / .922 / 2.30
Svedberg -- 7-6 / .918 / 2.33

-- Not a lot of difference here. I guess the backup goalie has to take the fall.

I usually look at it as under .920 is average, .920+ is excellent. And then you factor in back ups getting easier competition.

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
I usually look at it as under .920 is average, .920+ is excellent. And then you factor in back ups getting easier competition.

Yes, there's no way those two stat lines can be compared without considering the fact that, typically, the starter is going to play in any difficult game by default, and the backup is, in theory, only scheduled to play the weaker of the back-to-backs and a few "gimmie" games.

I agree that we were spoiled with backups. I still can't believe the beating Johnson took on the Isles boards, and that he was traded to Buffalo as a tank goalie. Granted, I didn't really watch him play this year, but for us last year he seemed like a VERY solid backup who only got cut for $.

Svedberg's "athleticism" made me nervous. Every time he moved far from the net, I threw up in my mouth a little. Then again, I'd probably say similar things about Quick - but when Quick starts flying all over the place, he can usually back it up by making saves.

Fire Sweeney

Jun 16, 2009
Bergen
Svedberg needs to get his career back on track after being ruined by Essenssa and Julien in December and January.

I think he'll post impressive stats over there and he'll be back in the NHL for 2016-2017.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
http://www.bostonglobe.com/sports/2...next-season/O7H2qlc83yKnSHdxejGBQO/story.html

After a season in which Niklas Svedberg struggled as Tuukka Rask’s backup with the Bruins, the goaltender has opted to sign with KHL team Salavat Yulaev for next season, his agent Allain Roy confirmed on Monday.

Because of the jobs likely available when free agency opens on July 1, Svedberg decided that a year of proving himself in the KHL was preferable to a backup job behind an established starter in the NHL, the situation in which he had found himself this season. It did not go well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad