Svechnikov's Strange Callup

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Has there been much discussion on the radical departure that was Evgeny Svechnikov's call up to Detroit.
Svechnikov, through 52 games, had just 7 goals and 22 points.
Who was the last forward who'd accomplished so little to get called up to Detroit?

For reference:
Athanasiou - 16 games 8-8-16
Mantha - 10 games 8-2-10
Bertuzzi - 16 games 7-7-14
Pulkinen 46 games 34-27-61
Jurco 32 games 13-19-32
Sheahan 31 games 8-10-18

Tatar and Nyquist was also much more productive.

So what's the reason for the departure?
Did Detroit reason that something wasn't working right in GR, so they wanted to see if they could jumpstart their first round pick in the NHL?
Was it simply a question of a space opening after the Tatar trade? But if so, hasn't Turgeon done more to earn it? Especially considering since Svech has mostly been a 4th liner - a perfect role for Turgeon.

Svech is looking more and more like an NHLer after looking pretty rough, early. Still, he's not showing much of anything in the skill or skating department.
He does seem OK at using his body for positioning on the boards which, to me, says he can play in a limited role next year in Detroit if that's what the coaches want.

Last edited:

lidstromiscool

May 5, 2007
I think a lot of it is that the Wings roster isn't that hard to make anymore. Tie still goes to the veterans but a lot of our veterans suck

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Why make conspiracy theories about everything?

Tie went to the veterans when the points were meaningful. When they really tried to get to the playoffs. There was no room for kid to come and learn.

Now it's reasonable to call the kid, let him learn and do his mistakes. It won't hurt, if the team loses points because of that.

What comes to Turgeon, he was called up when center (Glendening) was injured. Svechnikov was called when winger (Tatar) was traded. Reasonable things.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Svech was a first round pick. They made an investment in him. They need to see where he’s at in the NHL to understand his development. Who would you have called up instead? Or would you prefer Booth being in there?

Reactions: Mount Suribachi

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017

Tie went to the veterans when the points were meaningful. When they really tried to get to the playoffs. There was no room for kid to come and learn.

Now it's reasonable to call the kid, let him learn and do his mistakes. It won't hurt, if the team loses points because of that.

What comes to Turgeon, he was called up when center (Glendening) was injured. Svechnikov was called when winger (Tatar) was traded. Reasonable things.

Conspiracies?
I'm looking for a reason.

kliq

Dec 17, 2017
Also, his stats are deceiving. He had a really rough start, but played pretty well in his last couple months. I broke it down in another thread, it was like a tale of two seasons for him.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

Personally I'm hoping it's a change in development philosophy. No more "overripening" no more "ties to the vets." Just give a kid a shot here and there. If they can't hack it send em back down. If they can, whatever. Svech doesn't look awful out there. He's got a few points.

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Svech was a first round pick. They made an investment in him. They need to see where he’s at in the NHL to understand his development. Who would you have called up instead? Or would you prefer Booth being in there?

Chill out.
I never said he shouldn't have been called up. I said it was a departure from the norm.
I'm asking people to speculate on why.

Reactions: TheMule93

Redder Winger

May 4, 2017
Doesn't have to be a conspiracy.

Personally I'm hoping it's a change in development philosophy. No more "overripening" no more "ties to the vets." Just give a kid a shot here and there. If they can't hack it send em back down. If they can, whatever. Svech doesn't look awful out there. He's got a few points.

Based on what you've seen, how likely is it he starts with Detroit next year?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Based on what you've seen, how likely is it he starts with Detroit next year?
Booth and Witkowski are gone right? Wait no, Witkowski was here on a 2 year deal? The hell?

Well I think he's got a decent shot at it. From the way people talk about it though he's going to be competing with Rasmussen for a spot. There's still a full squad of forwards there without him if everyone's healthy. I'd prefer whichever of the kids don't make it they get to play heavy minutes in GR. No pressbox pls.

Maybe we'll see a trade even. Probably can't/won't trade half the forwards but AA and Frk I can see being traded.

Tasteslikekevinbacon

Oct 26, 2013
Ontario, canada
I’ll make a conspiracy up out of nowhere.

Lil Svech has made it no secret he’d love to play with his brother. Perhaps they’re making a case that that place could be the red wings next year. Kind of like how Kuznetzov (sp?) wouldn’t play for anyone but Washington.

Again. Completely out of my ass on this one

Orthodox Caveman

Sep 12, 2006
Didn’t Svechnikov have a pretty good first year in Grand Rapids? He really picked it up in the 2nd half of that first season. Maybe he needed a change of scenery.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
He was called up 3 days after Tatar was traded. Winger to fill a winger spot.

Also, his production heated up a lot after a bad start (thanks to injury).

2+3=5 points in 26 games before Christmas.
5+12=17 points in 26 games after Christmas.

It's not earth-quaking production, but still.

GrGriffins

Jan 30, 2017
Grand Rapids, MI
The only reason that Svech was called up to Detroit is because he is the Wings 1st round pick. That is why. If Svech was selected in any other round other than the 1st round, he would be playing in Toledo instead of Grand Rapids. There are several good forwards playing in GR that should have gotten at least a look, since most of them are on expiring contacts after this season (Street, Tangradi, Lorito, Puempel).

It would not surprise me that maybe the Wings brought Svech up to showcase him in the NHL to see what he can do right now, so that maybe it can stir up some possible trade talks before the upcoming draft (to get better players, move up to the #1 spot on the draft if the Wings are not the lottery winner). Although not many posters mention that at all, but that might just happen.

Or this is the Wings way to try to jump start Svech out of his prolong slump that he has been on for most of this season. Svech production improved a bit for a short time was because Puempel was out for 6 games with an injury and Nelson put Svech on the top with Street and Tangradi (who are the Griffins hottest 2 scorers since January). When Puempel came back to the lineup, Svech went back to his problematic style of play again (not producing, taking bad penalties, etc).

The Wings forward roster spot that opened up when Tatar got traded, opens competition for next season training camp between Svech and Rasmussen and right now it is Rasmussen spot to lose they way that he is performing in juniors and what he did in training camp last season. I see Svech ending back in GR at least for the start of the 18-19 season and hopes that it will get him going on the right track to becoming a bright NHLer. One can only hope.

Hatter of the Beach

I’m the real hero
Jun 26, 2017
Parkland Estates, Florida
The only reason that Svech was called up to Detroit is because he is the Wings 1st round pick.

Or this is the Wings way to try to jump start Svech out of his prolong slump that he has been on for most of this season.

Agree with both of these assumptions heavily. I like how he’s played so far this year though. More well rounded than I thought

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
The only reason that Svech was called up to Detroit is because he is the Wings 1st round pick. That is why. If Svech was selected in any other round other than the 1st round, he would be playing in Toledo instead of Grand Rapids.

I would say this is right on. Svechnikov is not the best player we have in GR. Him being called up is to save face, hope he can somehow get better, or maybe its to motivate him for next year in GR.

Puempel was a 1st round pick once. I wonder if he could be an NHL player???

tangradi, lorito, street... im not sure what makes a guy an good AHL player vs a Bad NHL player. But i get the idea that age is a big factor.

I see Svech ending back in GR at least for the start of the 18-19 season and hopes that it will get him going on the right track to becoming a bright NHLer. One can only hope.

I expect Unless we move more players (which i think Kenny is ok with trying to do). than our top prospects to make the team are:

Rasmussen
Hicketts
Cholowski
then Svechnikov.

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
I would say this is right on. Svechnikov is not the best player we have in GR. Him being called up is to save face, hope he can somehow get better, or maybe its to motivate him for next year in GR.

Puempel was a 1st round pick once. I wonder if he could be an NHL player???

tangradi, lorito, street... im not sure what makes a guy an good AHL player vs a Bad NHL player. But i get the idea that age is a big factor.

I expect Unless we move more players (which i think Kenny is ok with trying to do). than our top prospects to make the team are:

Rasmussen
Hicketts
Cholowski
then Svechnikov.
Hronek will get the call over Cholo. 100 percent

Reactions: BinCookin

Whoshattenkirkshoes

Aug 11, 2014
The main reason was the season is lost and they want to see what they have in svechnikov/get him some NHL experience.

Ken said 2-3 rookies will make the team next year
Locks are:
Ras
Svechnikov

Possible:
Hicketts

If svech is a lock for next year. (according to ken) it’s good to get him some NHL experience going into summer.

He still has to “earn” his ice. No hand outs here...

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Conspiracies?
I'm looking for a reason.

You make no sense. You complain all the time, about why are veterans playing and this and that. Then the instant a youngster gets the nod, you want some elaborate reason for it. It seems simple to me, the season is over, from a competitive standpoint, they are moving to youth, and more next season. So Tatar is gone, they give one of their higher depth prospects in the lineup, regardless his AHL performance. There are actually a lot of NHL'ers that didn't do particularly well in the AHL and then became quite good in the NHL. Would you rather Turner Elson or Matt Puempel get the call?

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Always we hear ”call up the kids, what do we have to lose, how bad can they be, let’s see what we have”. Now there needs to be some special reason?

Way I see it is they wanted a look at him to see if he could be an NHLer from day 1 next season. He’s had a rough season and bringing him up is a way to see if he’s got what it takes at all. With essentially the season lost already it doesn’t hurt. It’s a ”luxury” of being bad. I don’t think we have any other forwards that deserve a call-up except maybe Turgeon who we know exactly what he is.

Red Stanley

Apr 25, 2015
USA
Booth and Witkowski are gone right? Wait no, Witkowski was here on a 2 year deal? The hell?

Well I think he's got a decent shot at it. From the way people talk about it though he's going to be competing with Rasmussen for a spot. There's still a full squad of forwards there without him if everyone's healthy. I'd prefer whichever of the kids don't make it they get to play heavy minutes in GR. No pressbox pls.

Maybe we'll see a trade even. Probably can't/won't trade half the forwards but AA and Frk I can see being traded.

There's also a real possibility Nyquist is gone before the start of next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad