Svechnikov eligible for the Calder Cup Playoffs

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
This also means we just used 2 of our 4 call-ups for the remainder of the year.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Glad the NHL didn’t make this hard on us. It’s in the best interest of the kid to see where he stands after all this time off.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Could see him timelined with Zadina callup. Zadina plays his 9 games, then Svechni could be healthy already and back on the lineup and they will be swapped.

NickH8

Jul 3, 2015
Could see him timelined with Zadina callup. Zadina plays his 9 games, then Svechni could be healthy already and back on the lineup and they will be swapped.
When Holland talked to the press today he said he expects Svechnikov back in April. Sounded like a guess but that kind of hurts the timetable we've been hoping for. Expect to see Vanek and Abdelkader filling in Zadina's minutes when he leaves.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
And that does mean...?
Hronek and Zadina were technically sent down today to GR and then recalled after the trade deadline today to be eligible for the AHL playoffs.

We are allowed 4 call-ups until the end of the year. We just used 2.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Hronek and Zadina were technically sent down today to GR and then recalled after the trade deadline today to be eligible for the AHL playoffs.

I think the Wings still get emergency call-ups, though. Like if too many guys are hurt to ice a full team, we can call someone up until someone is healthy enough to start playing again.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Honestly does it matter if we used up call ups for our team? Zadina was one of them, and he was really the only one we all wanted to see get a look. GR is playoff bound, may as well keep them going well.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Who cares? Other than Cholo, there is nobody worth calling up.

SCD

Apr 8, 2018
I would like to see Turgeon up for another evaluation. He still may be a Glendenning replacement.

Saarijarvi is another one that should get a chance to play a half dozen games.

I don't think GR should be the only place we evaluate players.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Hes a bit of a wild card but could end up being a solid piece in the rebuild. If he even becomes a 50 point 2/3rd liner that plays with some size that would be huge for the wings. If hes taking morning skate does that mean hes close to returning and might end up in a wings game or two before the end of the year? I remember there was talk about that when he got hurt he might come back and play by the end of the year

masta8

Apr 26, 2018
Seems like a likeable kid. Really rooting for him to bounce back from this injury and have a good career, hopefully with us.

Sparkzuk

Jan 13, 2016
Hes a bit of a wild card but could end up being a solid piece in the rebuild. If he even becomes a 50 point 2/3rd liner that plays with some size that would be huge for the wings. If hes taking morning skate does that mean hes close to returning and might end up in a wings game or two before the end of the year? I remember there was talk about that when he got hurt he might come back and play by the end of the year
It'd be awesome if he was a 50pter. I have my doubts though but I'd be happy to be wrong on this one.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016
It'd be awesome if he was a 50pter. I have my doubts though but I'd be happy to be wrong on this one.

I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't turn into a top6 forward scoring at least 20 goals and 50 points per season. We're talking about a guy who did exactly that in his first AHL-season and who played his first KHL game six years ago...aged 16. His skillset is very similar to his brothers but Yevgeni has better size. Both Svetchnikov's are exceptional players and seem like good guys and warriors, too. If he can stay healthy, I don't see why Yevgeni shouldn't develop into the player that the Redwings wanted when they drafted him. Now it's on the Redwings staff to handle him wisely and push the right buttons.

I'm a fan and it's not gonna change anytime soon. Expected big things from him this season and had him im my fantasy team. Obviously didn't work out the way we all wanted but I'm gonna draft him again next season. He's gonna be a good one.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
I'd be very disappointed if he doesn't turn into a top6 forward scoring at least 20 goals and 50 points per season. We're talking about a guy who did exactly that in his first AHL-season and who played his first KHL game six years ago...aged 16. His skillset is very similar to his brothers but Yevgeni has better size. Both Svetchnikov's are exceptional players and seem like good guys and warriors, too. If he can stay healthy, I don't see why Yevgeni shouldn't develop into the player that the Redwings wanted when they drafted him. Now it's on the Redwings staff to handle him wisely and push the right buttons.

I'm a fan and it's not gonna change anytime soon. Expected big things from him this season and had him im my fantasy team. Obviously didn't work out the way we all wanted but I'm gonna draft him again next season. He's gonna be a good one.

I like the optimism, but Andrei is a much more dangerous player than Geno. Unfortunately, you can't expect to just put it all together and make it work. Some people have it, some people don't. I will be very disappointed if he doesn't become a regular NHLer; he's a great guy that I had the opportunity to meet by chance and sit/talk with, and honestly there isn't a single player in the organization I am personally pulling for more. But at this stage considering the injury bug and the slump since his first year in Grand Rapids, all I can have is a great deal of hope, not expectations.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I like the optimism, but Andrei is a much more dangerous player than Geno. Unfortunately, you can't expect to just put it all together and make it work. Some people have it, some people don't. I will be very disappointed if he doesn't become a regular NHLer; he's a great guy that I had the opportunity to meet by chance and sit/talk with, and honestly there isn't a single player in the organization I am personally pulling for more. But at this stage considering the injury bug and the slump since his first year in Grand Rapids, all I can have is a great deal of hope, not expectations.

The injuries concern me more than anything. Not the idea that he's injury prone or anything, but that he's missed so much development time. Hopefully he can finish the year on a high note with the griffins, then have a good summer training to hit the ice hard next fall. I don't think it's out of the question that he can be a 15-25 goal guy in the middle6 somewhere, but he's definitely behind the eight ball a bit in getting there at this point.

Hen Kolland

Feb 22, 2018
The injuries concern me more than anything. Not the idea that he's injury prone or anything, but that he's missed so much development time. Hopefully he can finish the year on a high note with the griffins, then have a good summer training to hit the ice hard next fall. I don't think it's out of the question that he can be a 15-25 goal guy in the middle6 somewhere, but he's definitely behind the eight ball a bit in getting there at this point.

I will preface this by saying that it is all contingent on his health and his readiness. The Wings have 16 games left if I am correct, 5 of which will be Zadina's dry run; should he be ready, I personally would like for Svechnikov to be activated and replace Zadina on the Wings active roster. He doesn't need to be in the same 18 minute top 6 role, we can shift and find a good fit, but I think that giving him a crash course in the NHL when the success of the team is not a factor in the slightest would be a decent idea. First, I think it would accelerate his adapting to live action hockey, playing faster and more talented opponents than what the AHL has to offer. Second, when he's activated, he will already be on the Red Wings roster; it would prevent the team from needing to call up anyone who likely will be sent back down and cause any additional unnecessary shifting of the lineup in GR as they approach the playoffs. And lastly, I have to imagine it's a morale boost for Geno to know that the team hasn't given up hope on him and acknowledge that he is still capable of playing in the NHL in their minds. We know that he is a super prideful and demanding critic of himself, and to give him a sense of swagger could be a major influence of how he goes into his training in the offseason.

Edit: I should mention that ultimately he goes down for the GR playoff run, but I am speaking on this as treating it almost like an opposite rehab assignment. Thrown into the fire in the NHL as a way to get him up to speed and for the reasons above, and then send him down for the AHL playoffs which he should be more than prepared for.

Reactions: Winger98

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
He has had a rough couple of seasons since his draft, but I am rooting for him to get it all back on track

Even if he just ends up as a stronger role player, like a good 3rd line type guy who you can put on a 1st or 2nd line to spread out scoring, that would be great IMO

My expectations are tempered and I just want to see him grab a roster spot and carve out a role

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad